Earth's Cries Recorded in Space

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds better than most modern music at any rate :lol:.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like how the article says aliens could be listening, as if doing so would somehow inform them of our existence. Any planet with a magnetic field would produce this radiation, populated or not. It may be a useful tool for detecting extrasolar planets however, which the article also notes.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like how the article says aliens could be listening, as if doing so would somehow inform them of our existence. Any planet with a magnetic field would produce this radiation, populated or not. It may be a useful tool for detecting extrasolar planets however, which the article also notes.
That's pretty much what I was thinking too - now, if they could prove that this strong signal is being modified in some discernible fashion by man-made signals, then perhaps they could come to the conclusion that aliens could find us this way. Find planets - it sounds like that's certainly possible - find planets with sentient inhabitants, that sounds like, from what they know now, sentience couldn't be determined.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
now, if they could prove that this strong signal is being modified in some discernible fashion by man-made signals, then perhaps they could come to the conclusion that aliens could find us this way.

Yep. I don't think this is likely though, because the article states that the radio waves are 10,000 times stronger than the strongest military signals. You never know though!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong, I took a lot of Calculus and physics in college but it does not mean I know squat about this

If I understand what they are saying about the whole aliens finding us thing correctly it is not so much that they could find us, meaning an inhabited planet. But they could locate the planet. Which of course means that they could locate a whole lot of planets in this fashion but it world tell you little about the planet other than its location.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I'm way off and am conjuring something out of my imagination but hasn't this been known for an awful long time?

I seem to recall Patrick Moore speaking about this on the Sky At Night aeons ago.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I'm way off and am conjuring something out of my imagination but hasn't this been known for an awful long time?

I seem to recall Patrick Moore speaking about this on the Sky At Night aeons ago.

Could be :idunno: it does sound familiar... no pun intended

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think we should just keep sending Beatles music out in to space. Eventually we'll strike a "chord" :)rolleyes: )with "All You Need Is Love" and have benign visitors showing up with flowers in their hair/heads and asking us to simply "Imagine".

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

They have known about this radiation since the 70's. What appears to be new is determining the geometry of the radiation, which is tightly focused and "beam like". Recording the radiation in an audio format may also be new.

Latest Discussions