Double knife edge anyone???

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to execute a double knife edge, Its a simultaneous kick kind of like a split kick. I figured this would be a good question for a tkd'er because it's in my kenpo curriculum and everyone in the kenpo forum sent me here. so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,
Christina

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If anyone has any info. about the scissors kick, please post it for her.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um... could you be a little more specific? I'm a tkd'er, but I'm not that familiar with the kenpo curriculum and terminology, and I don't know what you mean by "double knife edge", because in the TKD I do, there's not a kick by that name, nor is that a part of the foot. I'd be happy to help you if I can, but I need to know what kick you're doing with each foot, which part(s) of the foot you're using, and which directions the kicks are going in (forward, side, back) before I can say much.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It appears to me she is talking about side kicks, with both legs simultaneously kicking in opposite directions (left and right rather than front and back), with the side of the foot rather than the heel being the striking area.

Is that what you were trying to say, Christina? If so, would this look like a high upward jump with the feet underneath, then moving the feet out sideways to strike, and drawing them back underneath again while going down? Alternatively, maybe it is more of a straddle type kick while jumping forward?

I am in Kenpo, but neither of the two kicking ways noted above are used in my school's curriculum. I have seen various demo teams do them at open style tournaments.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
It appears to me she is talking about side kicks, with both legs simultaneously kicking in opposite directions (left and right rather than front and back), with the side of the foot rather than the heel being the striking area.

Is that what you were trying to say, Christina? If so, would this look like a high upward jump with the feet underneath, then moving the feet out sideways to strike, and drawing them back underneath again while going down? Alternatively, maybe it is more of a straddle type kick while jumping forward?

I am in Kenpo, but neither of the two kicking ways noted above are used in my school's curriculum. I have seen various demo teams do them at open style tournaments.

- Ceicei

That's what I was thinking - that at least one had to be a side kick - but it was late at night and I was sleepy. A split kick would be a side kick and a twist kick in opposite directions, but a twist kick is done with the ball of the foot, not the foot sword like a side kick, and it would be very hard to do 2 side kicks, simultaneously, to opposite directions, at least from a TKD point of view, unless you can do full splits in the air. If that's what you mean (side kicks in opposite directions, using the footsword, the outer edge of the foot), then the easiest way to describe it would be as if you were doing full Russian splits (the kind where your feet spread out from the center, rather than one leg forward and one leg back), leading with the outer edge of each foot.

If that's what you mean, then the best way to prepare for it is to work on Russian splits when warming up, because if you can't do it on the ground, you'll have real problems doing it in the air, and then practice jumping off both feet simultaneously, while kicking out to each side. If you're worried about the landing (and you should be), then the way to start practicing would be either jumping on a trampoline onto a soft surface or (better option) off the edge of a swimming pool or diving board, so you can get the kick down before you have to worry about the landing. The biggest problem most people have with kicks like this is not the kick itself, but retracting the kicks quickly enough to land on their feet.

If that's not what you meant, please let us know, and sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

OP
C

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kacey said:
That's what I was thinking - that at least one had to be a side kick - but it was late at night and I was sleepy. A split kick would be a side kick and a twist kick in opposite directions, but a twist kick is done with the ball of the foot, not the foot sword like a side kick, and it would be very hard to do 2 side kicks, simultaneously, to opposite directions, at least from a TKD point of view, unless you can do full splits in the air. If that's what you mean (side kicks in opposite directions, using the footsword, the outer edge of the foot), then the easiest way to describe it would be as if you were doing full Russian splits (the kind where your feet spread out from the center, rather than one leg forward and one leg back), leading with the outer edge of each foot.

If that's what you mean, then the best way to prepare for it is to work on Russian splits when warming up, because if you can't do it on the ground, you'll have real problems doing it in the air, and then practice jumping off both feet simultaneously, while kicking out to each side. If you're worried about the landing (and you should be), then the way to start practicing would be either jumping on a trampoline onto a soft surface or (better option) off the edge of a swimming pool or diving board, so you can get the kick down before you have to worry about the landing. The biggest problem most people have with kicks like this is not the kick itself, but retracting the kicks quickly enough to land on their feet.

If that's not what you meant, please let us know, and sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Yeah I was talking about two side kicks sorry for not being specific enought and confusing everyone. All the information helps alot thanks everyone:) .

Latest Discussions