Dojo Rat

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think I ever heard that term. Is it to imply a person who spends as much time as possible in the dojo, or one who is not a good person?

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been accused of being a dojo rat for going to a lot of classes / week on a regular basis (6 or more, often 2 classes a day), more than all but 2 or 3 other people at the school...of course I was called that by one of those 2 or 3 so it was a bit of pot calling the kettle black.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago, when I worked a lot less hours, if I was on graveyard shift, I'd go to all the morning classes after work, and all the evening classes after sleep. This was sometimes 6 classes a day-I'd help with the lower ranked classes leading up to my class-I was the second person in the dojo, and the second to last to leave, until I got my own key.....a couple of people called me a "dojo rat," but I was just taking advantage-most schools didn't have morning classes, anyway, and on swings or days, I could only attend one or the other, mornings or evenings.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someone who is at the dojo at all hours of the day when it is open. They would sleep there if they could. Frequently teenagers who don't want to go home for whatever reason. Dojo rats don't necessarily train all or even most of the time they are there - they like to socialize and they seem to enjoy hanging around the studio even when not training. They tend to run in packs. Watch out if you have a tv or computer with internet access onsite since they will use it more than you will!

And I used to be a dojo rat by definition since I lived there for almost a year as uchi deshi.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone who is at the dojo at all hours of the day when it is open. They would sleep there if they could. Frequently teenagers who don't want to go home for whatever reason. Dojo rats don't necessarily train all or even most of the time they are there - they like to socialize and they seem to enjoy hanging around the studio even when not training. They tend to run in packs. Watch out if you have a tv or computer with internet access onsite since they will use it more than you will!

And I used to be a dojo rat by definition since I lived there for almost a year as uchi deshi.

What he said.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Exactly.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A dojo rat is someone that is there all the time. A dojo rat bastard is a whole different topic...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the time, a dojo rat is the way to go. Being single back in my early years afforded me time to burn, and burn it I did, in the dojo.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If no sleeping is the ticket, then I'm doing it the right way. I spend a large part of the night getting up to pee. Then, try going back to sleep. :(

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have the time, a dojo rat is the way to go. Being single back in my early years afforded me time to burn, and burn it I did, in the dojo.

I like hanging out at the dojang, but when no one else was there. It is peaceful and you can work on your own stuff.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Dojo Rat is what the Stainless Steel Rat will be replaced by

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The former, as I understand it.

I was for a while but that was keeping me from my family and I had to change. Our GM agreed to give lunch time lessons to 3 or 4 of us. I then went other times as well, but much less frequently. I wasn't as bad as it sounds. Especially when the others couldn't show up. But even only three with a grand master is rather personalized instruction.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say that I was a dojo rat (or I guess a dojang rat) back during my TKD teenage years. I would spend 6 days a week there (only because they were closed on Sunday), often arriving shortly after school let out. I would help out with the kids and beginner's classes, and then take whatever advanced classes were scheduled that day. I also spent plenty of time hanging out and socializing at the dojang, since many of my friends were also students. Actually, I think I met most of my friends there. Hell, I met my first girlfriend at the dojang.

That all ended when I went to college and found less productive things to do with my spare time, of course.

Latest Discussions