Dogma in the martial arts

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wait...you said
You cannot measure, see, or feel the effects of electricity. You cannot not touch it (aware), see it directly (nothing to see) or touch it (you feel/become the path to ground).

But you then say a unit of measurement...which is used for measuring electricity

Presence, a unit of measurement, and a unit of current, the effects.
And actually volt, ohm and ampere are
A "volt" is a unit of electric potential
An ohm unit used to measure the electrical resistance of a material
ampere, is a unit of electrical current

sounds like measurements of electricity to me

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait...you said

But you then say a unit of measurement...which is used for measuring electricity

And actually volt, ohm and ampere are
A "volt" is a unit of electric potential
An ohm unit used to measure the electrical resistance of a material
ampere, is a unit of electrical current

sounds like measurements of electricity to me
But again, you are measuring the direct effects of the theory, not electricity itself.
For example, a "volt" is measured on something else (wire, circuit board, etc...) not on the electricity itself. The same is true for measuring amperage but even more so because you are taking an indirect, calculated measurement.

I know, it is a deep well. And a big part of my EE degrees I really struggled with. As long as it works, I really do not care about the theory behind most things.
Take potential vs apparent voltage for example. One is doing nothing in application so why does it really matter?
And before you answer yes, I get the reserve/storage dynamic.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But again, you are measuring the direct effects of the theory, not electricity itself.
For example, a "volt" is measured on something else (wire, circuit board, etc...) not on the electricity itself. The same is true for measuring amperage but even more so because you are taking an indirect, calculated measurement.

I know, it is a deep well. And a big part of my EE degrees I really struggled with. As long as it works, I really do not care about the theory behind most things.
Take potential vs apparent voltage for example. One is doing nothing in application so why does it really matter?
There was a British philosopher named David Hume. You and he would probably get along pretty well. He had some interesting ideas about causal relationships and inductive reasoning that I think you’d agree with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In related news, the law of probability (the idea that we live in a world of probability not determinism) is kind of the basis for the Foundation tv series I'm watching now. Harry Selden, in the show, says something along the lines of, "The empire will fall within the next 500 years. That is unavoidable. But if you're asking me if I can tell you what you will eat for breakfast tomorrow, I cannot." That show so far is amazing.

Who hasn't licked their finger and touched the car battery terminal? Or stuck a screwdriver in the wall socket? Or was that just my childhood? :D

Seriously, sometimes I think I survived childhood on accident, and that most modern child safety measures were because of me and others like me.
I haven't seen the show, but read the Foundation series a couple of times. Love the premise.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who hasn't licked their finger and touched the car battery terminal? Or stuck a screwdriver in the wall socket? Or was that just my childhood? :D

Seriously, sometimes I think I survived childhood on accident, and that most modern child safety measures were because of me and others like me.
I have scars from childhood stuff like that. I also burned a hole in a knife blade in college when I discovered that the circuit I was working on was mislabeled.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is incontrovertible that we have proven the presence of the atoms and their component parts (protons, neutrons, & electrons), through cancellation and magnetics, which on it's own is pretty freaking cool IMHO. The movement of electrons (negative charge) is what the theory of electricity is based on. In simplest terms current is always trying to make it's way back to ground. This is the 'flow' of electricity.
Ohm's law is brilliantly simple but still weird to me sometimes. Effectively, the higher the voltage (applied), the lower the current (in alternating current). Direct current does its own thing.
Agreed. My point was - and is - that none of that is about the theory explaining electricity bieng incontrovertible. That electricity (whatever it turns out to be) exists is the only thing I can imagine calling "incontrovertible" in this. It's like gravity. We know there's a force (perhaps more than one) that does what we call "gravity". We're pretty sure current explanations (theories) are at best incomplete. But the thing we currently call "gravity" does exist.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't undertand that usage of "theory". A theory (in scientific terms) is an explanation. You don't measure the effects of theories. Those units are for measuring the effects of electricy (which I think is properly labeled a force, as is magnetism, but I may be mistaken).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't undertand that usage of "theory". A theory (in scientific terms) is an explanation. You don't measure the effects of theories. Those units are for measuring the effects of electricy (which I think is properly labeled a force, as is magnetism, but I may be mistaken).
I would say you are right on it. Magnetism is the for force that moves an electron from atom to atom.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You are in fact measuring electricity when measuring amps. Electricity is the how we define the movement of electrons through a medium, this is called and electrical current and is measured using amps. Electricity is just what we call this current of moving electrons from one point to another. Amperage literally measures those electrons in the current i.e. measuring electricity. You don't measure a theory, you use measurements to test a theory. Voltage measures the electrical potential between two points so when you measure voltage on an object you are measuring how much work is needed to move a current from point A to point B. But this has nothing to do with the original post. Can these post just please stop turning into conversations about rudimentary understanding of scientific principals?

Dogma in the martial arts; aaaaannnnndddd GO!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, I've always wondered ,,,is that oil made from snakes ,,,,or for snakes?

...maybe I should ask Oily Dragon? He should know!
The Chinese have a lot of hells, that's just one of them.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
In related news, the law of probability (the idea that we live in a world of probability not determinism) is kind of the basis for the Foundation tv series I'm watching now. Harry Selden, in the show, says something along the lines of, "The empire will fall within the next 500 years. That is unavoidable. But if you're asking me if I can tell you what you will eat for breakfast tomorrow, I cannot." That show so far is amazing.

I still enjoy testing 9V batteries with my tongue.

Freakish, I know. But fun.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I still enjoy testing 9V batteries with my tongue.

Freakish, I know. But fun.
It's actually a quick and easy way to test smoke alarm batteries, though "enjoy" is way too strong a word for me.

Interestingly, when you make soap, there is something we refer to as the "zap" test. Basically, an easy way to test for full saponification (i.e., that the lye has all been converted to soap). If you touch your tongue to the soap and it zaps you, you know you have unsaponified lye in the bar, and it's not safe to use.

Latest Discussions