Does anyone see a problem here?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK... just turned on a TV show. Due to the digital changeover finally going through -- the channel is scrolling a message across the screen.

The message? It says that you may need to rescan your TV channels or converter box to see all the channels available, and "if you are not getting a signal, you may need..."

If you're not getting a picture... how are you reading their message? :shrug: :rolleyes:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its because digital TV doesn't work quite the same as analog. With digital, TV stations can broadcast up to four different channels with the same power usage.

Some stations have already made the cutover and began broadcasting as a family of stations (for lack of a better term). This is why DTV channels are often expressed as a decimal number (e.g. channel 5.1) The message is geared to people that may have noticed that they are missing a station or two out of their lineup.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that...

But if they aren't getting a signal or picture... HOW ARE THEY GOING TO READ THE MESSAGE!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They won't - that's not what the message is intended for. Its intended for a viewer that may be missing a signal (station) out of a group of signals (stations).

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or for someone with multiple televisions, pulling in digital and analog signals, realizes one tv is not working, checks the other sees the message and fixes the problem...

I can think of many reasons..

or neighbors who pull a signal, one has analog the other digital, the analog looses signal talks to neighbor... whammo....

LOL

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get some digital stations to replace ones I had before ... others are missing, even upon re-scanning. Less television isn't really a problem right now in my family.

Latest Discussions