does anyone here incorporate capoera into there MA training ?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a buddy of mine that did Kenpo with me growing up. While he still practices his Kenpo, he has now been studying Capoera. The last time we got together to do some training, he had found a way to blend a few moves into his Kenpo and it made for a some unorthodox and powerful combos. :)

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Capoeira is an MA unto itself, it doesn't require incorporating into other MA training.

That being said, I did study capoeira for a time a number of years ago, and still sometimes play around with the movements and explore what can be done with them and how to incorporate some of it into what I do now.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Capoeira is an MA unto itself, it doesn't require incorporating into other MA training.

That being said, I did study capoeira for a time a number of years ago, and still sometimes play around with the movements and explore what can be done with them and how to incorporate some of it into what I do now.

I'm pretty sure this is what he means. Blending of principles, tactics and strategies into a personal fighting style. Could be wrong, but that is what I got from it.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im thinking of taking some saturday classes , it looks very fluid.
It is, BUT, IMHO what you will learn will depend on what kind of capoeira you study. There is Regionale and then there is all the more traditional variations that fall under the category of Angola. Most of what you see and find is Regionale (R pronounced like an H), and is more of the upright, acrobatic style. Angola has some of that as well, but has a lot more of the close to the ground elements, and IMHO is more "authentic" in terms of the traditional capoeira fighting methods. When Mestre Bimba created the Regionale style he wanted to be able to compete with the asian MA styles that were becoming popular at the time in Brazil and added in elements of those styles and made his version more upright.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's good information for someone to know if they are looking to train :)

I'm pretty sure my buddy studies the "Angola" method, he does a little acrobatic stuff but for the most part it's closer to the ground.

Latest Discussions