DOD to Ban TAPOUT clothing on Military persons when offduty.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Read this on another site. Not sure how much truth there is and havent heard anything Official yet at work. I know the UFC truck/tractor trailor/mobil store was here this past weekend on base with Frankie Edgar and another fighter and the Base Xchange sells Tapout so....

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/05/c...t-clothing-for-all-military-personnel/?ref=nf

I have 2 Tapout shirts I wear around the house working on my cars or cutting grass, but never in public ( i didnt buy them). It screams DOUCHE or TOUGHGUY i think.

But still find it wrong if this is true. The UFC and TAPOUT support the military 100% all the time doing promtions and benefits. If this IS true, its a real slap in the face to 1 of thier largest supporters.

nice.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reads like satire to me, as does the rest of his blog posts.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know about that Carol. I think they're totally serious despite his other blog posts such as "North Korea Launches Rubber Ducky Into Sea of Japan, Splashing Ensues", or "President Obama Visits Afghanistan, Shoots Three Taliban Fighters". I thought the one about the Afghan protesters burning copies of the the Twilight saga particularly riveting, as I've felt like doing that myself. :)

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ahhh the internets. source of anything you want to believe.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it is true, that is just a part of military life. So what?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree with Carol.

Read the latest post. http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/05/us-army-says-the-avengers-is-do-able/

It's satire, and very dry, witty satire at that:

The Duffel Blog: First off, thank you for your time and for speaking with us about this.Army Public Affairs Officer: No problem. We’re excited about this project. And I couldn’t help but give away some spoilers.
TDB: Indeed. So shall we just go through them one by one and you can tell me the Army’s plan to make it happen?
PAO: Sounds great.
TDB: Captain America
PAO: We give some steroids to an officer. Seems simple enough.
TDB: The Hulk
PAO: Same steroids, we just give them to a Marine… and rabies. Steroids and rabies. Again, seems simple enough.
To create the Hulk, we just give Bill Mattocks some steroids and rabies! It's all so simple.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't even own a TAPOUT shirt... As stated earlier it just screams douche or tool boy :)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't even own a TAPOUT shirt... As stated earlier it just screams douche or tool boy

You prefer the whisper to the scream eh? :)

jasonbrinn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It screams DOUCHE or TOUGHGUY

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way or like I am railing at you its just I HATE this comment. Its like when people in the "hood" hate rappers for making it big, or something else totally moronic along those lines. To me this comment screams (and I hear it ALL over the internet) "hey, I'm young and just want to fit in, oh you don't like those people then I don't either."

I remember back in 2000 going to a tournament and as I walked around I met three really cool guys setting up a table with a white sheet and a few pieces of merchandise on top. Those guys were dressed really weird and had somewhat offensive slogans on their t-shirts. At first I thought they might be some wannabe tough guys but when I started talking to them I quickly learned that they just loved people. They loved the martial arts and they loved people doing what they believed in and being who they were despite what the crowd thought.

These three guys were/are martial artists and what the martial arts should be about. We should encourage people to stand out and be unique - be themselves no matter what the popular clicke says is cool or not. These three guys where champions for personal freedom and expression. These three guys started a little company back in those days with that one table display and a dream and a belief that who you are is more important than what people think about you. Those three people called their company TAPOUT and I was/am honored to have met them.

I will ALWAYS wear TAPOUT clothing if for no other reason than some bully group on the interwebs thinks it says something about me or rather about how "they" are somehow better than me because they don't wear it.

in ya face!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just read through a bunch of articles on the site. I'd say it's consistently good Onion-level satire. Perhaps the best evidence of this is all the comment threads that begin with someone taking the story seriously - a phenomenom the Onion has long dealt with.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It does, indeed at times. However, are they going to ban other styles of dress as well? I could think of a few that look like crap to me...

They already do. Gang affiliates clothing, or clothing affiliated with hate groups, certain women's styles, certain men's styles. I think now they are also making it to where you have to be clean-shaven Sven when off duty. Specifics vary from post to post.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And guys can't wear dresses, high heels, etc.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way or like I am railing at you its just I HATE this comment. Its like when people in the "hood" hate rappers for making it big, or something else totally moronic along those lines. To me this comment screams (and I hear it ALL over the internet) "hey, I'm young and just want to fit in, oh you don't like those people then I don't either."

I remember back in 2000 going to a tournament and as I walked around I met three really cool guys setting up a table with a white sheet and a few pieces of merchandise on top. Those guys were dressed really weird and had somewhat offensive slogans on their t-shirts. At first I thought they might be some wannabe tough guys but when I started talking to them I quickly learned that they just loved people. They loved the martial arts and they loved people doing what they believed in and being who they were despite what the crowd thought.

These three guys were/are martial artists and what the martial arts should be about. We should encourage people to stand out and be unique - be themselves no matter what the popular clicke says is cool or not. These three guys where champions for personal freedom and expression. These three guys started a little company back in those days with that one table display and a dream and a belief that who you are is more important than what people think about you. Those three people called their company TAPOUT and I was/am honored to have met them.

I will ALWAYS wear TAPOUT clothing if for no other reason than some bully group on the interwebs thinks it says something about me or rather about how "they" are somehow better than me because they don't wear it.

in ya face!

We in the military are encouraged neither to stand out nor be unique. On the plus side, for a guy like me, this makes for a LOAD of comedic opportunities!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

in ya face!

Im gonna agree here. A lot of idiots wear tapout, but they have been around for ever and been very influential and pivotal people in modern combat sports. Martial arts lost a great figure when Charles Lewis died.

Cougar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sooooooo, if a less than stellar individual wears insert garment type here, then that will forever be deemed as insensitive, duchey or otherwise less than favored by those individuals that are self-proclaimed fashion police? Seriously, the Tapout brand has some nice products, reasonable quality and some great designs. I have some and several of my students have some. Yes, these items are usually worn while rolling around on the mat, but are also worn going to and coming from training sessions. As Jason mentioned earlier, the founders of Tapout were a little flamboyant, but okay guys. For me personally, I have never been into the name calling or judging folks based on what they wore, even if I did not particularly care for it. But then, that's just me.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why are we even still on this? Its a fake article.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why are we even still on this?
Because we were all bagging on Gentle Fist for his 'my way or the highway' fashion police post. :)

Latest Discussions