Doctor, Can I get HIV from . . . . ?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I mean, Senator Frist, Can I contract the Human Immunodificiency Virus from persperation? You are a Medical Doctor, aren't you?

Stephanopoulos: You're a doctor. Do you think tears and sweat can transmit HIV?
Frist: I don't know...I can tell you.
Stephanopoulos: You don't know?
Frist: I can tell you things like, like..condoms.
Stephanopoulos: ... You believe that tears and sweat might be able to transmit aids?
http://www.wonkette.com/politics/hill/bill-frist-says-it-wont-happen-if-you-do-it-standing-up-026962.php

Do we really give this guy the keys to government?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oy! There are enough headaches in practicing medicine as it is without this politician (who also happens to be a doctor) making the rest of the profession look bad. I'm not a doctor, but I work for a state medical society & this is just the kind of stuff that we really hate, not to mention the fact that this kind of misinformation can be detrimental to the public! Bad Dr. Frist--you should know better!! :mp5: :jedi1: :whip: :(

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that the reason you doctors are so big on rubber gloves.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
HIV Absurdity Fact:

Some guys measured the size of the HIV virus. They then measured the size of the porous spaces between the bits of rubber that make up a rubber glove. The virus was smaller than the spaces, so the bozo's surmised you could catch HIV through a thin rubber glove, just by it flowing haplessly through the porousness. The paramedic community panics, and orders thicker gloves, demands double-gloving, and so on.

Problem: HIV virus is not self-ambulatory. Rides piggy back on particles that are larger than it is...too big, it turns out, to seep through the glove. It is also later discovered that merely laying viral shells against a tissue layer is insufficient for infection. Takes a "vector force injection" beyond a voilated tissue barrier to cause infection.

Research still shoddy, by the way. Wasn't but a few years back that people near communities with large homosexual populations were demanding mosquito eradication. Seems they thought HIV was a spirochete or something.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
HIV Absurdity Fact:

It is also later discovered that merely laying viral shells against a tissue layer is insufficient for infection. Takes a "vector force injection" beyond a voilated tissue barrier to cause infection..
In laymans terms, this means what exactly? Contact with HIV wont spread it unless...???

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
.... Takes a "vector force injection" beyond a voilated .....
"Vector Force Injection" would be a great name for a band....
icon10.gif

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HIV Absurdity Fact:

Some guys measured the size of the HIV virus. They then measured the size of the porous spaces between the bits of rubber that make up a rubber glove. The virus was smaller than the spaces, so the bozo's surmised you could catch HIV through a thin rubber glove, just by it flowing haplessly through the porousness. The paramedic community panics, and orders thicker gloves, demands double-gloving, and so on.

Problem: HIV virus is not self-ambulatory. Rides piggy back on particles that are larger than it is...too big, it turns out, to seep through the glove. It is also later discovered that merely laying viral shells against a tissue layer is insufficient for infection. Takes a "vector force injection" beyond a voilated tissue barrier to cause infection.

Research still shoddy, by the way. Wasn't but a few years back that people near communities with large homosexual populations were demanding mosquito eradication. Seems they thought HIV was a spirochete or something.
Yeah, but whenever I had to work with any HIV positive samples I always double gloved anyway. Can't be too safe, and it makes it harder for a little pin-prick or scrape to tear the gloves.

M

MisterMike

I still put double TP down on the public toilets 'cuz of that stuff.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Unless your thighs or butt-cheeks are skinned, and there's blood on the toilet, and you press your skinned thighs into it and slide around really hard...

However, you CAN catch herpegonomonosyphillis from toilet seats. Proven fact.

D.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another one of our distinguished senators made the following comment last week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3130-2005Feb6.html?sub=AR

Senator Tom Colburn (R) OK said:
And I thought I would just share with you what science says today about silicone breast implants. If you have them, you're healthier than if you don't. That is what the ultimate science shows.
In fact, there's no science that shows that silicone breast implants are detrimental and, in fact, they make you healthier.
I really wish someone followed up with a request for the report that demonstrates this. Oh, yeah, and the Senator is not a Bill Clinton protege', but rather, a licensed physician.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Another one of our distinguished senators made the following comment last week. "In fact, there's no science that shows that silicone breast implants are detrimental and, in fact, they make you healthier."--Dr. Tom Coburn I really wish someone followed up with a request for the report that demonstrates this. Oh, yeah, and the Senator is not a Bill Clinton protege', but rather, a licensed physician.
GAH! What is wrong with these people?! Bad Dr. Coburn--You should know better too!!* :whip: :mp5: :bs:

*Now we know where some of his campaign contributions came from

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless your thighs or butt-cheeks are skinned, and there's blood on the toilet, and you press your skinned thighs into it and slide around really hard...
Well, lets remember the research is a bit shoddy here, and we allready know blood is not the "only" transmitting body fluid. So to say it would have to be blood on the toilet seat is not quite correct, although is true in itself.

It does pay to be safe, how many times have you found a cut on your finger from getting lemon juice on it or salt? You didn't even know the cut was there. There is not sufficient research to prove that other body fluids do not (100%) or can not transmit the HIV virus. Also, receiving the virus through open parts of the body is a viable way of contracting it as well (mucus membrane, etc.) None of these are a reason to panic or be OCD about it, but they are reasons to be safe and protect yourself. I think most martial artist would understand that.

7sm

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
They say you can't get HIV from a toilet seat and that's just not true. You can, but you have to have an HIV positive person on the seat with you at the same time.

Jeff :uhyeah:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
They say you can't get HIV from a toilet seat and that's just not true. You can, but you have to have an HIV positive person on the seat with you at the same time.

Jeff :uhyeah:
HAHA!!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
However, you CAN catch herpegonomonosyphillis from toilet seats. Proven fact.
Kenpodoc said:
They say you can't get HIV from a toilet seat and that's just not true. You can, but you have to have an HIV positive person on the seat with you at the same time.Jeff :uhyeah:
:roflmao:

Latest Discussions