Do you have a secondary art?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
SwedishChef said:
Sil Lum Chuan Tao. My problem is I don't have a primary art. When time constraints relax I'm leaning towards wing chun.
Welcome to MT SwedishChef! Why not join a TKD dojang when you have more time?

Miles

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Miles. But I am one who recognizes his weaknesses. Flourishing kicks aren't my strong suit. I was an orange belt in TKD when I was twelve, though. The thing is that wing chun really speaks to me. I only really discovered it a few months ago. I knew of it and understood the basic idea but I had never seen it in motion before. I started hunting down mpgs and it just clicked in my mind. The style I come from most recently is a very kenpo-like kung fu style. I still really believe in it but it never lit me up like this.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
If you think jujutsu doesn't incorporate stand up work, you're mistaken. I've been training in jujutsu close to 3 years now and almost never find myself on the ground while training...

Grappling ≠ Ground, nor does jujutsu necessarily imply grappling, there is quite a bit of strking involved....

Just as the public taekwondo gets it's common perception of taekwondo from the Olympic style sparring, people have misconceptions of jujutsu from what they've seen of Brazilian Jujutsu...
Ok, ok. My bad! My fiancee is in BJJ not regular jujutsu. That's why I thought jujutsu was all ground fighting. My apologies to Big Nick. My fiancee is teaching me BJJ and it's all floor techniques. I was only trying to make an example of how most arts need another. Sorry everyone! :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Ok, ok. My bad! My fiancee is in BJJ not regular jujutsu. That's why I thought jujutsu was all ground fighting. My apologies to Big Nick. My fiancee is teaching me BJJ and it's all floor techniques. I was only trying to make an example of how most arts need another. Sorry everyone! :)
Even though the ground is where BJJ's strength is at, it also has quite a large ammount of striking. The philosophy of BJJ is to strike only when you have to, almost as a last resort.

And you are very much correct on different arts needing each other.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last weekend we were working on what Kali calls "destructions." These are different from joint locks/breaks which I teach as part of my regular TKD class.

One of the "destructions" we were working on was a defense against a boxer's jab. The destruction calls for the forward hand (for purposes of illustration, this will be your left) to parry or guide the jab (let's say this is a right hand jab) to a horizontal/roundhouse elbow strike (the defender's right elbow). The end result is that you are elbowing the boxer's fist. Different art, different strategy.

The thing that struck me is that this very same technique "palkup pyojeok chigi-target elbow strike" is taught in Kukki-TKD (and is seen in Taeguek #5 after the side kick). Taekwondo teaches this technique as a grab behind the head or back with the elbow striking the head or solar plexus/ribs, respectively. Same technique, Different art, different strategy, so the application changed. Fascinating!

Miles