Do you have a secondary art?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe paintball and airsoft games count too...not that the Mama does them, but my son advanced from computer games and is great in the field, without being too prejudiced as his Mom! But I don't think they do much if any kicking. :) TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hehehehe. I did Judo for a while as a secondary art. But now I do GameBoy-Do LOL (I'm an over-grown kid LOL). Cooking doesn't count as a MA either, but that's my other passion (I'm suprised I don't weigh more than I do with all the good eatin' LOL).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I was also a dedicated practitioner of Nin Ten Do at one time...

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nin Ten Do,

It did not help my yop-chagi however I did develop a mean "A-Ryu-Ken" fireball and uppercut!

Not to mention the flash kick and sonic boom...STREET FIGHTER 2 TURBO/ALPHA rocks!

Or how about the developement of Killer Instinct...300 hit combo anyone?

TAEKWON!
SPKS

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I first started training in Hawaiian Kenpo then switched to Chito-ryu. While training in Chiro-ryu I started training in Kenjutsu and Okinawan Kobudo. After reaching BB in Chito-ryu I started training in Isshin-ryu then EPAK. I just started training in TKD around 1 year ago and continue to today. I still train in and teach Chito-ryu and Okinawan Kobudo. So really TKD is by no means my primary art, but it has helped my other styles out. I do not train in I-ryu, EPAK, or Hawaiian Kenpo anymore , but I am considering going back to finish up in EPAK(get to BB level).

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
searcher said:
After reaching BB in Chito-ryu I started training in Isshin-ryu then EPAK. I just started training in TKD around 1 year ago and continue to today. I still train in and teach Chito-ryu and Okinawan Kobudo. So really TKD is by no means my primary art, but it has helped my other styles out.
Searcher, how does TKD compliment your Chito-ryu? Kobudo? How about vice-versa?

Miles

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
I first started training in Hawaiian Kenpo then switched to Chito-ryu. While training in Chiro-ryu I started training in Kenjutsu and Okinawan Kobudo. After reaching BB in Chito-ryu I started training in Isshin-ryu then EPAK. I just started training in TKD around 1 year ago and continue to today. I still train in and teach Chito-ryu and Okinawan Kobudo. So really TKD is by no means my primary art, but it has helped my other styles out. I do not train in I-ryu, EPAK, or Hawaiian Kenpo anymore , but I am considering going back to finish up in EPAK(get to BB level).
Good lord man. How do you have enough time for all of that. :) :asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Besides TKD, I been a practioner of Kendo for the past 3 years, and as much as I enjoy it, it will never replace TKD for me. I've also studied Hapkido and HDGD. Both of which I fully intend to get back into as soon as someone developes more than 24 hours in a day.

Oh, and I'm far too old for video games. I tried xbox live with my sons, got handed my a$$ at HALO, and retired.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I agree :) ! I wish I had more time to get on the grappling mat. I always have a good time rolling with my friends.
I'll roll with you.........but you ain't gonna like the outcome.:whip:

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually Tae Kwon Do is more of a third or fourth are for me. Wrestling and Ju Jitsu are my primary arts, while judo and tae kwon do are secondary martial arts.

However, receantly I have started to take TKD a little more seriously, so TKD might just rise the ranks of the 4 arts I do.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Miles said:
Searcher, how does TKD compliment your Chito-ryu? Kobudo? How about vice-versa?

Miles
It mostly helps my Chito-ryu with the kicking aspect. C-ryu focuses on low and mid-range kicking with little to the head. The TKD gets help because of the use of throws and joint locks. The two do seem to blend well and with the Kobudo there is no real help from TKD, but TKD gets help from the Kobudo on the weapons front. Hope this helps.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition to EPAK, I also hold black belts in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate.

My base will always be EPAK, but I like doing some cross-referencing to apply it to my American Kenpo.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
searcher said:
It mostly helps my Chito-ryu with the kicking aspect. C-ryu focuses on low and mid-range kicking with little to the head. The TKD gets help because of the use of throws and joint locks. The two do seem to blend well and with the Kobudo there is no real help from TKD, but TKD gets help from the Kobudo on the weapons front. Hope this helps.
Yes, it does. Thanks for sharing!

Miles

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Though taekwondo is an awesome art, I think most of us agree it needs some help. If you are knocked to the ground as a taekwondoist and nothing else, you are in abit of trouble. I think most martial arts need some help in one way or another. My fiancee (a martial art practitioner for 10 years) is teaching me jujitsu and ninjitsu. He tried to teach me JKD but I didn't like it very much. The founder is my hero and I like the philosophy behind it but I found it too complicated and difficult. That's just me, ofc.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
I think most of us agree it needs some help. If you are knocked to the ground as a taekwondoist and nothing else, you are in abit of trouble.
Hi beauty_in_the_sai,

I hear this quite often, and once subscibed to this train of thought myself. When I first started TKD I mentioned to my sabumnim about the inability for a TKDist to be effective on the ground. He invited me to try it. Being a former wrestler, I knew I could take him down easily. The first try, I took a sharp knee to the cheek and backed off. The second try, I took him down and wished I hadn't. I was in an arm lock and took a shot to the neck. It was over in seconds. I said it wasn't fair that he was using Hapkido. He said is was TKD. He said whatever he taught me standing could also be used on the ground. I never mentioned it again. Besides the usual array of kicks, my school is heavily into hand techniques. From the sound of it, that's apparently uncommon for most schools. Your thoughts?

Regards,

Latest Discussions