Dislocated Shoulder Recovery Time

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I dislocated my shoulder for the second time last week. Doc says I'll be out of commission for at least 1 month. Sucks like hell. Have any of you dislocate your shoulder?

Dan

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no,i dislocated a finger once, that hurt when i put it back,, but i do know that some people are far more prone to them than others, usually those with the best shoulder mobility AND once you have,dislocated it then you are far more likely to do it again as the tissue is now stretched

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I dislocated my shoulder for the second time last week. Doc says I'll be out of commission for at least 1 month. Sucks like hell. Have any of you dislocate your shoulder?

Dan
Not me but my brother has. He was younger then so things popped back into place faster. When I was taking sports medicine many years ago, the main conern then was to make sure the injury healed completely. Rehab was a major issue in order to reduce the risk of it happening again. Healing included the actual healing of the injury and reconditioning of the tendons. They said that it's easier to dislocate it again if the tendons aren't reconditioned.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It took me about 6 weeks to get my shoulder more or less back to normal after a dislocation.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Left shoulder dislocation.
Has happen many times over the years...I put a boxing glove under the upper arm near the armpit and someone can jerk it back into place.
First time was over 50 years ago don't really remember how long it took to completely recover but I was playing football and back to boxing in about 3 months.
Today if it goes out I get it jerked back into place and keep doing whatever.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today if it goes out I get it jerked back into place and keep doing whatever
Answer's my question. Do you ever rehab your shoulder after it has healed?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Partial separation of my shoulder. Weeks and weeks for "recovery." 1 year before 70% recovery of mobility and range-of-motion. Still don't have 100% recovery of ROM even after years and years. Likely never will.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
Right shoulder dislocated, left acromioclavicular separation.
Both are always a little weird.
Right shoulder took a week or so to get it working again on my own, I think it hurt pretty bad for another week or so after that. It occasionally gives me trouble, but nothing like the first time. A bit of stretching and flexing through its range of motion puts it where it needs to be. Low pain for a few days after.
The acromioclavicular separation was/is a whole other story. I really wasn't aware of it when it happened. Once I was, I think it took about a month to get it in place, a few months to keep it there. Hurts a little bit every day, but minimal. Can make it crackle and pop but it doesn't go out unless I really use my body wrong. Then it hurts pretty bad.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, the stuff our lifestyle lays on us.

Good thoughts and good healing to all you guys.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Return to normal after a shoulder dislocation will depend on the person. All things being equal, first one tends to be the most traumatic and requires the most recovery time. Subsequent dislocations aren’t usually as bad, as there’s some stretching of the tissues involved. But that also depends on the amount of time between dislocations.

Something to be concerned about with a shoulder dislocation is the gleniod labrum (cartilage on the shoulder blade side of the joint). Because the bones grind against each other when the joint goes out and goes back in, there’s a high chance of damage to the cartilage. And cartilage doesn’t heal on its own.

I dislocated my right shoulder while wrestling when I was 14. The shoulder bothered me on and off ever since. Now that I’m 41, it bothers me more on than off. A lot more. I haven’t been able to do overhead stuff like throwing and swimming without discomfort in a few years. The last two years it turned painful. Now I can’t do pushups without pain. And once I aggravate it, I’m hurting for several days afterwards. I could have it repaired, but due to the size and location of the tear, surgery wouldn’t completely fix it. So I’d be immobilized for 6 weeks and a few months of rehab for a 70% improvement that could potentially gradually bring me back to where I am now. I’ve got better things to do with my time. If I was a competitive athlete or my job depended on it, that would be a different story.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
The first week or so was pretty brutal when I messed mine up. I had my left hand in a splint and stitches after a surgery, then (partly because of my immobilized left hand) dislocated the right shoulder during a moment of car trouble. Couldn't use the left hand for anything, and basically couldn't lift anything with my right arm because of my shoulder. I think I remember using my right hand to hold things, but using my splinted left arm to lift my right arm.
Real hell of a time trying to eat!

Latest Discussions