DF: old is new, new is old...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
old is new, new is old...
By Tom Yum - 02-05-2011 08:42 AM
Originally Posted at: Deluxe Forums

====================

I'm posting this thread to kick some life back into this forum (the way it used to be)...

Old schoolers know my MA background. I started off in a traditional system, crossed into mixed martial arts and am now separating the things that I liked from MMA and joining them with new arts. One of those arts is kali.

Why kali? Blades (and impact weapons) are underrated for self defense both against armed and unarmed opponents. One should select a weapon appropriate for the engagement they will be involved in, but consider an urban environment (surprise, surprise...).

If you're using a heavy caliber pistol in an urban environment, there's a chance of collateral damage since you are in a high population density environment - which is no bueno for legal situations. If you're in a hostile environment, pistol fire will draw attention to your presence as well -> yes, I know of suppression etc. but most of us just want to defend ourselves.

Lastly, its hard to tell whose a good guy and a bad guy, which makes it easier for someone to get close and grab your gun. An armed, holstered sentry with a condition 1 pistol can get stabbed by a knife wielding attacker within a distance of 19 feet.

The art of pekiti tirsia kali means close quarter fighting, roughly (my tagalog is rusty) is a comprehensive weapon fighting art that addresses the question: what if someone grabs my gun but more importantly it addresses the question: what if someone pulls out a knife.

I'm just getting started in this art. Enjoying it as well!

PS - Im still into muaythai and exotic grappling, fear not :D

YouTube - Pekiti Tirsia Kali - Knife vs Gun

Read More...

------------------------------------
Defend.net Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions