Deleted techniques

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks. I did a search and didn't see this on here before, so forgive me if this has already been asked.

Does anyone know why Mr. Parker deleted some of the techniques in the system as time went on?

I specifically remember loving the technique "Intellectual Departure". Even though it was a yellow belt technique, I thought it was very effective and realistic to apply. I have actually used the technique nearly move-for-move in sparring. Great stuff, especially compared to some of the *ahem* less realistic techniques still practiced in the system (Broken Ram, anyone? LOL)

Marketing? Boredom? Whim?

Never did understand that. Any ideas?

kenpohack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I think Intellectual Departure was deleted because it's redundant. It covers similar motion as circle of doom and another brown belt technique (I can't think of the name). I would disagree that broken ram is unrealistic, however. The attack is not very prevalent, but it does teach the basics of defending against a guillotine choke.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kenpohack said:
I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I think Intellectual Departure was deleted because it's redundant. It covers similar motion as circle of doom and another brown belt technique (I can't think of the name). I would disagree that broken ram is unrealistic, however. The attack is not very prevalent, but it does teach the basics of defending against a guillotine choke.

Erm......Broken Ram is against a front tackle.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a few versions, but here is one....

An attacker at 12:00 comes at you to football tackle with their arms spread wide.

From a right neutral bow facing 12:00, step your left foot to 3:00 as you execute a right downward parry to your attacker's left arm simultaneous with a left downward parry to your attacker's right arm. Continue the motion of your right arm and as you settle into a right neutral bow facing 9:00, execute a right inward overhead hammer fist to the back of your attacker's neck. * Left hand should be checking against your attacker's right.

With your attacker's left arm trying to grab your waist, pivot into a right reverse bow as you loop your right arm under your attacker's left arm and execute a left uppercut to 4:30.

Execute a right rear scoop kick to your attacker's nuts.

As you plant your foot back to 10:30, aim to buckle out your attacker's left knee. As you do this, loop your hand counter-clockwise and over your attacker's left arm to execute a right outward downward hammer fist to your attacker's left jaw.

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
MattJ,

I like your question, not that I know the answer, but if I were to venture a guess it might have something to do with the vast number of white belts whapping each other in the nuts with that nasty little back kick.

As Doc will tell you (without much prompting), Mr. Parker designed the 32 technique system to have commercial appeal, and it did. But when I started in the early 70’s Ed Parker’s Kenpo was mostly an adult driven system and what appealed to us 30 years ago, doesn’t necessarily appeal to the karate moms of today.

I think there’s just something mom doesn’t like about seeing little Johnnie getting his bells rung, that helped make Intellectual Departure go the way of the dinosaurs.

What I don’t understand (and something that defeats my own theory) is if it was a commercial decision, why didn’t he replace The Grasp of Death with a more white belt oriented technique?

My idea of a good commercial model is to make all the yellow techniques simple, easy, and fun (for a beginner) to do. I’m afraid no one will ever convince me that The Grasp of Death is any of these.

melj7077

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember Mr. Planas telling us that the Intellectual Departure technique was needed to complete the categories of blocks at yellow belt. It is in conjunction with Delayed sword (Inward), Sword of Destruction (Outward), Deflecting Hammer (Downward), and Intellectual Departure (Reverse of the Downward block). This creates a square through the blocks hitting the four corners. I think Hammer & Sword replaced Intellectual Departure which removes the fourth corner.

Intellectual Departure is the root of the techniques of Circle of Doom and Rotating Destruction. Each is a progression from the last.

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
MattJ said:
I specifically remember loving the technique "Intellectual Departure". Even though it was a yellow belt technique, I thought it was very effective and realistic to apply. I have actually used the technique nearly move-for-move in sparring. Great stuff, especially compared to some of the *ahem* less realistic techniques still practiced in the system (Broken Ram, anyone? LOL)

Marketing? Boredom? Whim?

Never did understand that. Any ideas?

Intellectual Departure is more of a 'sparring' technique than a realistic self-defence technique. Seeing as kenpo is primarily about self-defence and *not* sparring, then I would suggest that this is why I.D. was removed - because it is not realistic outside of a sporting framework.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
JamesB said:
Intellectual Departure is more of a 'sparring' technique than a realistic self-defence technique. Seeing as kenpo is primarily about self-defence and *not* sparring, then I would suggest that this is why I.D. was removed - because it is not realistic outside of a sporting framework.
James,
If we have not interacted before, welcome to Martial Talk. Your post has a good idea but is not really accurate.
Intellectual Departure may not be in the required curriculuum for Yellow Belt, but it has by no means been "removed" from the system completely. Trying to state that Kenpo is primarily anything is an erroneous statement completely. That's why we have the Three Divisions of the Art; Basics, Self Defense, and Free Style. Free Style is simply another way of saying sparring. If you think Kenpo is not about sparring, I suggest you investigate Professor White. The reason that ID was removed from the Yellow Belt curriculuum is simply that it was deemed to sophisticated to require of a yellow belt.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Quote by Rich Hale -

like your question, not that I know the answer, but if I were to venture a guess it might have something to do with the vast number of white belts whapping each other in the nuts with that nasty little back kick.

Interesting, but unlikely IMHO. How do you explain the groin shots in Delayed Sword and Sword of Destruction? Many white belts don't have ANY control, LOL, front kick or back kick.

Quote by JamesB -

Intellectual Departure is more of a 'sparring' technique than a realistic self-defence technique. Seeing as kenpo is primarily about self-defence and *not* sparring, then I would suggest that this is why I.D. was removed - because it is not realistic outside of a sporting framework

I do not understand how you are making that distinction, James. I-D is "sparring", but Thrusting Salute is not?

?????????????????????????????

In any case, wouldn't the principles of the technique be the same?

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seig said:
James,
If we have not interacted before, welcome to Martial Talk. Your post has a good idea but is not really accurate.
Intellectual Departure may not be in the required curriculuum for Yellow Belt, but it has by no means been "removed" from the system completely. Trying to state that Kenpo is primarily anything is an erroneous statement completely. That's why we have the Three Divisions of the Art; Basics, Self Defense, and Free Style. Free Style is simply another way of saying sparring. If you think Kenpo is not about sparring, I suggest you investigate Professor White. The reason that ID was removed from the Yellow Belt curriculuum is simply that it was deemed to sophisticated to require of a yellow belt.

Hi,
yes, I did not mean to say intellectual-departure had been removed completely (we do it in our school for example) - rather I was referring to the original post and suggesting why it may have been removed from the curriculum in that instance.

You are right also, kenpo is a very general term and means different things to different people and I didn't phrase my post very well. I've not heard that I.D was removed because it was too 'sophisticated'....rather, I view it as a rather simple technique compared to others such as Delayed Sword, Attacking Mace etc. I was under the impression that one of the reasons I.D. was removed because of the way one's back is turned on your 'opponent' - fine for sparring maybe, but not a great idea if someone is intent on attacking you??

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
MattJ said:
I do not understand how you are making that distinction, James. I-D is "sparring", but Thrusting Salute is not?

In any case, wouldn't the principles of the technique be the same

sorry I wasn't very clear, but I agree with your sentiment that I-D. is a nice technique for sparring. And so too would Thrusting Salute. However I would suggest that Thrusting Salute would work equally well outside of the studio, whereas I have my doubts about Intellectual Departure:

1. turning your back on your 'opponent' - is this really a good idea?
2. not establishing a strong base to defend yourself from.

These are just two of the problems with this technique. Sure you can make it work, but I don't believe it is the most effective tactic when in a self-defence scenario, which is why I believe that *some* schools have taken it out of their syllabus.

What I was trying to write, was to query your reasoning when comparing 'less realistic' techniques (your words) against Intellectual Departure. Many techniques aren't designed for sparring because you would never encounter the situations (in sparring) that they are designed to deal with. You seemed to be suggesting that therefore these techniques (Broken Ram is your example) aren't realistic. This seems a little strange to me, because in my opinion it is sparring which is unrealistic. Broken Ram works great for me, but again there appears to be a wide variance in how many of the kenpo techniques are practiced.

btw I do practise Intellectual Departure - I happen to rather like it - but I would choose Thrusting Salute should I need to defend myself against that kind of kick.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
*some* schools have taken it out of their syllabus.

I think I am not being clear - Mr. Parker removed it from the syllabus in the change-over from 32 tpb to 24 tpb. I was curious if anyone (Hello Higher-ups? LOL) had an idea why.

With regards to your distinction between sparring and realistic SD, I will have to say that I disagree. A technique that works against a resisting opponent is a good technique, IMHO. I think the pecentage of people that could make Broken Ram work (nearly move for move on a resisting opponent) would be pretty small.

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
MattJ said:
With regards to your distinction between sparring and realistic SD, I will have to say that I disagree. A technique that works against a resisting opponent is a good technique, IMHO. I think the pecentage of people that could make Broken Ram work (nearly move for move on a resisting opponent) would be pretty small.

I see where you're coming from now and will (reluctantly :) ) agree to some extent - because you are right, I suspect that some kenpoists couldn't make Broken Ram work. Which is a shame, because it's supposed to, as long as the correct foundation of basics is in place..

simon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if i might be so bold,this is only my opinion so dont take it to deeply.
maybe the growing amount of "karate clubs" that made getting a bb easy could be the reason for a few being removed, the ak system is very long and contains a lot,it would take someone quite some time to grade in it, so maybe the techs were removed to reduce the learning curve and make it a little bit faster to grade,after they have graded the techs that were removed could be taught as variations.
ive seen this done and then theirs the triangle sylabus idea but thats not the case here.
the true meaning though of the arts is knowledge...not a peice of material,but in todays world the fashionable black belt can send some people down the " dark and easy " path.

OP
M

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seig -

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too hard! Really. Hmmmm, can't say as I agree with Mr. Parker on that one. Thanks for the insight, though.

I mean .... Grasp of Death! I can't tell you how many beginners had a hard time with that one. Interesting.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Intellectual Departure. But, I like Spreading Branch more. Much more than Captured Twigs that replaced it.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a few techniques in yellow that are difficult to perform with correct body mechanics. I don't see where Intellectual Departure is any different.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
There are a few techniques in yellow that are difficult to perform with correct body mechanics. I don't see where Intellectual Departure is any different.
Both shortening the cicle and moving up the circle are a complex foot maneuver, and if I am not mistaken "Intellectual departure" puts your back to your opponent. These things take practice to do well. The very name of the technique suggest you are breaking rules. Learning the rules first is not a bad thing. Of course you would eventulay incorporate moving up the circle in all your techs but that would be another lesson.
Sean

Latest Discussions