Decaf...Kinda Sorta

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right. People should know that Decaf doesn't really take out 100% of the caffine, and depending on which blend, you could easily be getting as much as in a coca-cola. I don't see this as a big deal unless you have a medican condition (heart or thyroid etc.), in which case you probably shouldn't drink Coffee at all.

I, however, love coffee! :caffeine:

I also think the health benefits of coffee are better then the risks (see my thread on that in the health/fitness area). :)

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new...which is why since I am allergic to caffiene I still don't drink decaf coffee

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's kind of like non-alcoholic beer - which still contains some alcohol, usually <0.5%, but still some - because it is virtually impossible to remove all of a compound from a mixture.

Still, the wide variation in caffeine levels is concerning for those who drink coffee - but I don't, so I haven't paid much attention.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I, however, love coffee! :caffeine:

I also think the health benefits of coffee are better then the risks (see my thread on that in the health/fitness area). :)

Besides, who wishes to live forever? I love coffee. We have coffee houses here that import the raw beans, and roast them right in the city.

I sometimes get flat out JACKED UP on some good coffee, especially with my friends! Haha! These people would have a heart attack if they every went coffee drinking with me!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You see here is the problem, caffeine does not effect me at all and I am REALLY trying to get more people to drink decaf so that no longer have that caffeine boost advantage over me :uhyeah:

I did not think this was earth shattering information, I just wanted to post it just incase someone out there was interested or unaware and they should be. :asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's kind of like non-alcoholic beer - which still contains some alcohol, usually <0.5%, but still some - because it is virtually impossible to remove all of a compound from a mixture.

Still, the wide variation in caffeine levels is concerning for those who drink coffee - but I don't, so I haven't paid much attention.

I remember just starting out in AA when the first non-alcoholic beer came out. Several of us had that look in our eyes that we were "saved"... but then the realization came in when we acknowledged the fact that it'd be pointless to drink the stuff... because we'd be getting into it and then realize that we weren't getting drunk so "screw it! Getting real beer" and thus have to start all over again.

Decaf coffee is practically the same. Oh sure you'd love the taste of coffee (I did) but what's the point? There's a reason people drink Coffee first thing in the morning... so to WAKE UP and get to work! Decaf sorta defeats the purpose.

Though I read somewhere a cruel office joke is to switch all the coffee pots to Decaf and sit back and watch the fun.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
With the variety of meds I take - don't worry I won't bore you with the organ recital - it's all moot. Caffeine is pretty much out although I have a Coke once in a while. But even before the last changes I switched to decaf and realized that I wasn't drinking coffee for the taste. Even the best stuff really is nasty and burnt. Some of the non-alcholic beers aren't bad. But if you're going to do that you might as well drink kvass. It tastes better and is its own thing, not a substituted.

The other problem with decaf coffee is the process. As several have pointed out it's hard to remove all of a chemical from a compound. Some of the solvents they use in the process are kind of nasty.

I talked to a visiting anthropology professor who taught ethnobotany and psychopharmacology. He said that discussing the subject with the "Just Say No!" generation was impossible. Whenever he talked about traditional uses of psychoactive plants he said "I saw this steel wall come down behind the kids' eyes." Then he would tell them "I like decaffeinated espresso." The class would respond "What's the point?" Only a few had an a-ha moment :(