David Spade's standup...

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife and spent $60.00 to see him tonight...awful show. He honestly had one of the worst stand up routines I've seen. He mumbled...his material seemed unrehearsed. I've seen better shows done at local comedy clubs by virtual unknowns.

A waste of time and cash.

Regards,

Steve

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never been a big fan of David Spade without Chris Farley....

Sorry to hear you had to be put through that...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only comedian I've ever paid to see is George Carlin. (I don't count taking the kids to see Weird Al.) He was good, as expected. I think he's a genius (George Carlin, not Weird Al).

David Spade was on The Tonight Show recently and joked about how he never changes his act.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen Bob Hope,George Carlin and Stephen Lynch in person, along with some unknowns in comedy clubs. George Carlin by far was the best I have seen. I watched David Spade's standup on HBO and thought he was really funny.

When he came to MI I had a couple of friends that went and saw him and they said he was really funny too. But they did say that it was pretty much the same as his HBO stuff.

C

CrankyDragon

I liked Spade on his TV show, but I forget the name. Doah! I didnt think he would be much of a standup.

I saw the Blue Collar Comedy Tour in person, some new material, but kinda the same format. Still, it was good. If it was Foxworthy alone I think it may have bombed, but the 2 he had with him (Larry for 1, forget the other) really helped Fox make the show.

Andrew

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive seen quite a few commedians, including Carlin... I couldnt see spending money on David spade tho.

Sucks that the tix were so expensive.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I always found David Spade annoying--esp. on SNL. He just doesn't appeal to me.

Ditto and that movie of his "dickie roberts, child star", I turned it off, coulnd' t watch the whole thing.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
I have seen Bob Hope,George Carlin and Stephen Lynch in person, along with some unknowns in comedy clubs. George Carlin by far was the best I have seen. I watched David Spade's standup on HBO and thought he was really funny.

When he came to MI I had a couple of friends that went and saw him and they said he was really funny too. But they did say that it was pretty much the same as his HBO stuff.
Man, I'd have loved to have seen Bob Hope. Good, clean comedy. It seems like most comedians can't get a laugh anymore without going for the lowest common denominators like vulgar language and blatant sexual references...of course, this is coming from a man who really enjoys Carlin as well so go figure.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
My wife and spent $60.00 to see him tonight...awful show. He honestly had one of the worst stand up routines I've seen. He mumbled...his material seemed unrehearsed. I've seen better shows done at local comedy clubs by virtual unknowns.

A waste of time and cash.

Regards,

Steve

sorry to hear that. spade never did seem that funny to me, without of course with a sidekick like farley. sorta lame if you ask me. some comedians are "more funny" with others. case in point, i saw larry the cable guy in 1997, who at the time was a regular on z104.5 the edge's (tulsa) morning show. wasn't really that funny but when i saw him again on the BCCT stuff, he was hilarious...oh well.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nalia said:
Ditto and that movie of his "dickie roberts, child star", I turned it off, coulnd' t watch the whole thing.

You know, I've never seen a single one of his flicks. I thought his "Capital One" commercials (that's the company, right?) were pretty good. He stinks at stand up.

The funniest I've ever seen is Dennis Miller...I almost passed out from hypoxia. The first time I saw George Carlin was at University of Washington in 1976...the second time about four years ago. I've seen Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, Chris Rock and Jon Stewart. We're going to go see Lewis Black in October. Black will easily make up for this one.

You win some, you lose some. I posted that mostly to warn you guys not to waste a ticket on him. Sounds like most of you wouldn't have anyway.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions