Cyber-Assasination? Confirmed, apparently

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://defensetech.org/2010/09/29/a-cyber-assassination-confirmed/

This is spooky stuff.

In Italy, not too long ago, a mob boss was shot but survived the shooting. That night, while he was in the hospital, the assassins hacked into the hospital computer and changed his medication so that he would be given a lethal injection. He was a dead man a few hours later. They then changed the medication order back to its correct form, after it had been incorrectly administered, to cover their tracks so that the nurse would be blamed for the “accident.”

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2010/09/29/a-cyber-assassination-confirmed/#ixzz111JcTsF0
Defense.org

Fact stranger than fiction? If I end up in the hospital, I suspect I'll be pulling any network cables I find. Just to be on the safe side, eh?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's pretty effed up, but I'm surprised it worked. All meds are supposed to be checked for dose and kind at the time of administration. You aren't supposed to administer a lethal dose of something just because it says so on a computer printout. Where I can see it working best is in the case of allergies or something particular to the patient. Even if let's say your condition left you too weak for certain drugs, nurses should know that too before they give the injection.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's pretty effed up, but I'm surprised it worked. All meds are supposed to be checked for dose and kind at the time of administration. You aren't supposed to administer a lethal dose of something just because it says so on a computer printout. Where I can see it working best is in the case of allergies or something particular to the patient. Even if let's say your condition left you too weak for certain drugs, nurses should know that too before they give the injection.

I would expect that as we've moved into electronic medical records in hospitals, we've let our guard down and not paid attention to potential threats. Not surprising; I'm sure that the designers of these systems were concentrating on keeping bugs out of the system, not worrying about intrusion from the outside. However, such things may have be hardened for future use, and protocols for dispensing medication may have to be changed as well.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fact stranger than fiction? If I end up in the hospital, I suspect I'll be pulling any network cables I find. Just to be on the safe side, eh?
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

I think it is highly unlikely that you could pull any network cable that mattered. :)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh. The original story was from the Nigerian "Daily Sun". And judging from the comments on the OP link, Italian residents never heard of this supposed event. Im skeptical.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh. The original story was from the Nigerian "Daily Sun". And judging from the comments on the OP link, Italian residents never heard of this supposed event. Im skeptical.

GOOD DAY SIR,
I AM DOCTOR JOSEPH MKELE AND I CAN CONFFIRM THAT THES STORY IS TRUE. iF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND AS TO SEND ME YOUR BANK ACOUNT NOMBRE I CAN WIRE TO YOU THE PROOFE YOU RIQUIRE.

GOD BLESS YOU