Criticism Over Child's Cross Leads To A Lesson In Tolerance

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Y'know, after all the articles I read where school 'officials' overreact and do really stupid crap, this story gave me hope that there may yet still be hope for our schools.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Dec/12132003/saturday/119483.asp
Excerpt:
Criticism Over Child's Cross Leads To A Lesson In Tolerance

Author: Peggy Fletcher Stack Source: The Salt Lake Tribune (UT)

Title: CRITICISM OVER CHILD'S CROSS LEADS TO A LESSON IN TOLERANCE

Indiana Johnson loved the gold cross necklace her grandmother gave her last year when she was 6.

Indiana is the daughter of the Rev. Gregory Johnson, a Christian minister, and the cross has religious resonance to her.

At school, though, several kids made harsh comments about the necklace. Indiana was hurt and confused.

This year, Indiana started first grade and again wore her cross with pride. And there were more comments from fellow students at the school, where the majority of students are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

One boy said the cross was stupid and that he hated it. Another told her to take it off, that it was bad to wear, Indiana reported to her dad.

Johnson decided it was time to take up the matter with the principal, Jeanne Bates.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great article! Mrs. Jeanne Bates is a new principal of only two years. My sons go to the same school (Meadow Elementary in Lehi) as this girl. It really is a pleasure having new leadership put into this school. The old principal did a fine job though, but I love the way the new one, Mrs. Bates, handles situations quickly and allows her teachers the creativity to approach teaching moments.

- Ceicei

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I completely agree with Mr. Johnson's comment:

"Children can wear a Christian T-shirt or a CTR ring or a Jewish yarmulke," he said. "It's the school that can't promote these items."

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, respect for all religious and cultures, and a healthy dose of social justice was taught in my education classes.

basically, you can't promote one religion or culture over the others, but you do have to give the students freedom to practice their religious and cultural choices, provided they're not directly interfering with instruction. (middle of the day, rolling out a prayer mat in the middle of class and praying to mecca, not allowed. taking that prayer mat quietly out of the classroom and taking a few moments for midday prayer, allowed. christian students passing out tracts in class, not allowed, too distracting. christian students passing out tracts at lunchtime, allowed.).

T

TonyM.

That's a very reasonable policy that I would be comfortable with.

Latest Discussions