Criminal rehabilitation

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There will always be a debate of whether or not criminals can be rehabilitated, and re-integrated back into society. In some cases, it can succeed, whereas others serve as examples that "there's a sucker born every minute."

This is one of those times where it failed miserably:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377962,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

What was more surprising, was that the family KNEW about this guy's past, and still took him in.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some criminals can be rehabilitated, some would never re-offend anyway, and a few are completely beyond any help usually due to sociopathy or similar. The big problem is telling the three apart.

One thing is for sure though. If an ex-con will always be treated poorly once their sentences are complete, and if their opportunities are drastically restricted, then they have no reason not to reoffend.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There will always be a debate of whether or not criminals can be rehabilitated, and re-integrated back into society. In some cases, it can succeed, whereas others serve as examples that "there's a sucker born every minute."

This is one of those times where it failed miserably:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377962,00.html?sPage=fnc/us/crime

What was more surprising, was that the family KNEW about this guy's past, and still took him in.

Was the crime a crime of opportunity? i.e. Self defense that turned into a death. Was it theft so you could eat or make rent.

Or was it a crime to steal something so you could buy more cigarettes/drugs/alcohol?

As to sex crimes, I think these people should be locked away, but you always here of the guy who was 16 and she 16 and it was ok. Then he turned 17 and now it is not ok. I will discuss here if it is right or wrong to have sex at that age only that it was ok yesterday for him to have sex legally with her and now today it is not. Nothing changed between the two of them in their feelings. She did not say no. It was just an issue of what the letter of the law stated.

I would have a hard tme trusting someone for a sex crime.

For theft, I would need lots of time to trust them, but Ithink it is possible.

For death/manslaughter/murder I find this would be easier for me than the sex crimes. Of course people who are sociopaths and not going to stop at one and their case would not be a case of self defense.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because of the various background, upbringing, psychological and social problems of those incarcerated telling which ones may be rehabilitated is not something that can be accurately defined. Some prisoners what a better life and a chance to improve themselves while others only want to get back to doing what got them in jail in the first place. Some make a concerned effort to “go straight” when released but are hampered by the fact that they have been in jail.
Many people are willing to try to help out and excon while others think that once “ a jail bird always a jail bird”. While those that try to help rehabilitate some of these people are blind to the facts and background behind the person being in jail in the first place, there by placing themselves in dangers way.

Latest Discussions