Cops Probe Fires

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?

WOODINVILLE, Wash. - Three seven-figure dream homes went up in flames early Monday in a Seattle suburb, apparently set by eco-terrorists who left a sign mocking the builders’ claims that the 4,000-plus-square-foot houses were environmentally friendly.
The sign — a sheet marked with spray paint — bore the initials ELF, for Earth Liberation Front, a loose collection of radical environmentalists that has claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks since the 1990s.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see a couple of Hellfire missiles rain down on one of ELF's meetings.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I watch too many crime shows, I suspect the developer who had multi-million dollar houses sitting empty for months with no end in sight.....

Actually, I wouldn't doubt it was ELF, they aren't exactly known for logic. I was at the UW when they firebombed the Center for Urban Horticulture, which was part of my College. I saw friends and professors whose work, in some cases their life’s work go up in flames. I have no problem classifying them as domestic terrorists, I'd like to see them sent to Gitmo.

Lamont

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll just be blunt and say that they're all a bunch of nuts! People like this always amaze me, because it seems like they're always taking one step forward and two steps back. I mean, think about it...you have a group of people (nuts) :) who think that by fire bombing million dollar houses and Hummer dealerships, that they're saving the world, when in reality, they're not even close. Now, I hate to see the wildlife and plant life get uprooted because of a new sub division, but its going to happen no matter what we want to think.

So..the builder will suffer a loss, but he'll recoup and build again. So..did those nuts really solve anything? IMO no.

They're so worried about saving the planet, yet you can't drive down the highway without seeing a few smoke stacks billowing out smoke from factories. Are they going to bomb factories for pollution?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, What about teh pollution the burning houses made? What about the chemical pollution from the Spray Paint cans they used?

Elf. What a bunch of Hypocrites.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd like to see a couple of Hellfire missiles rain down on one of ELF's meetings.

Thing is that ELF doesn't have meetings. The organization advertises itself, and members seek them out via publicists who make suggestions about what attacks to launch. So it operates in a cell-like setup, there aren't any official gatherings.

They are certainly terrorists, despite their claims that they make sure not to harm people. What's also ironic is that ELF may bomb someone's house or SUV, but rather than scare people out of buying them, the victims will just pay for a replacement SUV.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
They're so worried about saving the planet, yet you can't drive down the highway without seeing a few smoke stacks billowing out smoke from factories. Are they going to bomb factories for pollution?

The thing is that they are not really worried about the environment, what they want is to be seen to be concerned about the environment. If they truly were the ultra-environmentalists they claim to be they would not use cars, they would not live in cities, they would grow their own food, make there own clothes, and use alternate energy sources. I've met farmers, who are not friends of environmentalists, who are more environmentally active than these guys.

Fire-bombing a centre for urban horticulture? Surely that is counterproductive. Why blow up one of the places is which solutions to the problems they bleet about are being developed? Because they don't really give a rat's **** about the environment.

Earth Liberation Front? What are they trying to liberate the Earth from? Humans? Well they could make a start by tapping themselves.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were'nt ELF responsible for driving spikes into trees in the '80s so that loggers would cut into them with chain saws? So much for not hurting people. I've had a chain snap on me and nearly lost my leg had I not had on very high leather boots. They aren't the only ones, though, that think the earth would be better off without humans. Trouble is it's always those "other" humans they feel the planet would be better off without.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is so much arson for profit (insurance), complete with planted clues pointing to 'the usual suspects', that I'll wait at least until arrests are made and we see some evidence.......

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is that they are not really worried about the environment, what they want is to be seen to be concerned about the environment. If they truly were the ultra-environmentalists they claim to be they would not use cars, they would not live in cities, they would grow their own food, make there own clothes, and use alternate energy sources. I've met farmers, who are not friends of environmentalists, who are more environmentally active than these guys.

Fire-bombing a centre for urban horticulture? Surely that is counterproductive. Why blow up one of the places is which solutions to the problems they bleet about are being developed? Because they don't really give a rat's **** about the environment.

Earth Liberation Front? What are they trying to liberate the Earth from? Humans? Well they could make a start by tapping themselves.

For a group thats supposedly concerned about the environment, they have an odd way of expressing it. :) IMHO, I think that they can find other ways aside from causing destruction. As Cryozombie said in his post...all that burning wood, chemicals, autos, etc., I'm sure are not helping their cause any.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is so much arson for profit (insurance), complete with planted clues pointing to 'the usual suspects', that I'll wait at least until arrests are made and we see some evidence.......

I take this as you feel that this damage was not caused by ELF, but by the builder or someone acting on his behalf?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I take this as you feel that this damage was not caused by ELF, but by the builder or someone acting on his behalf?
It doesn't sound so crazy to me. No more crazy than burning a building down in order to "save the earth", which makes no sense at all.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't sound so crazy to me. No more crazy than burning a building down in order to "save the earth", which makes no sense at all.

Oh, I'm not doubting that people don't burn their property down to collect on insurance. But, considering things like this, ie: fancy houses, the resort in CO., and large SUV dealerships, are the usual target for the nuts that call themselves ELF, I'm leaning more towards them, rather than the builder doing it.

But as always, we only have a small part of the puzzle.

brianhunter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of the homes that was torched actually had a 5 star energy rating....it was actually the type of home that it seems environmentalist have been asking for. I think it is more a stab at capitalism and industry then an honest concern about the environment.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weird.

I have guarded Street of Dreams homes in Oregon and Washington on the graveyard shift and have to wonder - who was guarding these homes? They were probably left to be patrolled by the county or WSP - and they never have enough time to adequately guard those kinds of projects.

Anyone could have done this and put an ELF tag onto it.

I don't agree with the tactics of ELF but it would be easy to make them a scapegoat - all it takes is a sheet, a can of spraypaint and a nasty disposition.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

All of the fires could have been the misguided doings of the ELF......

But consider this: There's an epidemic of eco-arson going on in the region, which is fortunate for Failed Entrepreneur A. Fortunate because A has an SUV dealership ready to go under due to high gas prices or A has big ticket homes that aren't selling in this wonderful mortgage banking crisis. So A hires a professional torch to burn away his misery and debts, make it look like somebody else did it, then collect the insurance and head off for the south of France...

Or this: A's wife finds out A has been playing musical beds with his secretary and up in smoke goes his home/business. (Sound farfetched? Recall Ms Lopes burning down Mr Rison's enormous mansion when her romance with the football star went south...)

Or this: It isn't the ELF but the APL.... or the CBS.... or the HRC.... another band of offshoot nuts who wants to set the fires but have the heretic ELF chased for them.

A rush to judgment can be a rush off a cliff. Me, I'll just wait and see......

Latest Discussions