Cool long pole video

tonyjw86

White Belt
Reaction score
I posted this in the martial arts weapon forum but didn't get any replies. I was wondering what people thought about this schools quality? I like the video but I have no experience with the art.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really unfair to opine on a schools quality from just a couple of shots in a video.
As to the specifics shown in this video, there appears to be a bit too much chasing the pole for my liking. The pole only makes one sound. (the applications are direct not block/parry then attack)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually- I agree. Asking for an opinion based ona shot or two is also a proiblem.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The trouble with looking at videos of the Long Pole is that most lineages keep their own stuff "secret" and reserved for higher ranked practitioners --so you can never be sure of what you are seeing on youtube. I know this is true in most of the WT groups (such as this school) coming down from Leung Ting. Oh, there are "WT" videos posted, but they are not the same as the WT pole form I learned.

Personally, I think this secrecy is a shame and only contributes to the proliferation of poor technique. In many lineages, the pole has degenerated into a mere "status symbol" of little use beyond that of strength training and conditioning. That's because so few actually train the pole, especially the chi kwun and sparring. IMO the form by itself is of little value.

I think earlier exposure to the pole including pole sparring, with protective gear of course, might be a great way to breathe life back into this "sacred cow" of WC/WT. It would also be a fun way for different lineages to spar together without getting all bent out of shape. But then, I'm always the idealist...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use the pole training as strength training and for power development. It is fun as a training tool and sparring. However for me the greatest take away from pole training is the connection of the arms and body that creates power at the tip of the pole 7 to 9 feet away from the body and how that translates to empty hand.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I use the pole training as strength training and for power development. It is fun as a training tool and sparring. However for me the greatest take away from pole training is the connection of the arms and body that creates power at the tip of the pole 7 to 9 feet away from the body and how that translates to empty hand.

You're right, this is probably the best reason for pole training: the power and focus it adds. But I'd like to see it maintained as a real, if somewhat impractical and archaic skill too. That requires exchanging skill through drills, like chi kwun, and some form of "sparring" with a variety of partners. Right now, I have none. Same for the Bart Cham Dao. Consequently I would depend on my Escrima training if I had to defend myself with sticks, poles or blades.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have found though that being accustomed to that long cumbersome weapon makes anything less in your hand very easy to wield

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
geezer, my study of Pekiti-Tirsia has made my skill with the bart cham do better.

yak, that and my long range hand eye coodination is greatly enhance.

Latest Discussions