Cool Article: Blue Collar Home Security weapons by Joel Huncar

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
It's a good article, but I have to wonder about what he says with regard to spears. Because of it's size, I think a spear would be an impractical weapon in most homes, unless someone has a lot of practice with one. Because of that, and the risk of having it grabbed (which he mentioned), a non-martial artist would be better off using one of the other weapons he suggests, in my opinion.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Zepp said:
It's a good article, but I have to wonder about what he says with regard to spears. Because of it's size, I think a spear would be an impractical weapon in most homes, unless someone has a lot of practice with one. Because of that, and the risk of having it grabbed (which he mentioned), a non-martial artist would be better off using one of the other weapons he suggests, in my opinion.

He mentioned the assegai, though, and I think he was refering to the short shaft assegai for home defense rather then the long one.

See here: http://www.coldsteel.com/spears-high-performance-spears.html

Yet, even with the short shaft, I agree that you need to practice with one in order to be able to use it effectively. I'd say that goes for every tool, however.

PJMOD

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Tulisan said:
Yet, even with the short shaft, I agree that you need to practice with one in order to be able to use it effectively. I'd say that goes for every tool, however.

Yes, all weapons require some practice to use effectively/safely, but I think some are more naturally intuitive than others. To me, any kind of spear seems less intutive than the other kinds of weapons he suggested, like a stick or machete. But then again, maybe that's just because I have bit of FMA training.

Latest Discussions