Contemplating lifting routine to aid in my 3rd dan test...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been lifting weight since high school. I learned much of what I do now from my high school teacher who was a former olympic weightlifter. However, I've been reading some of the threads here in this forum and I've begun to question whether or not my current program is helping me prepare for my short term and long term goals. My short term goal is my 3rd dan test. It will entail the following. I'm wondering how I can best use my time to make the most gains toward preparing for this goal.

I can lift weight two to three times a week for about 45 minutes. My goal with this program is to hopefully peice together a program that will be effective and efficient.

Right now I do the following routine twice a week...

1. One circuit on the Nautilus series...all 24 machines.

2. Bench press sets
  • 130 lbs five reps
  • 150 lbs five reps
  • 170 lbs five reps
  • 190 lbs five reps
  • 150 lbs five reps
3. Squats sets
  • 225 lbs five reps
  • 275 lbs five reps
  • 295 lbs five reps
  • 315 lbs five reps
  • 225 lbs five reps
4. Lat pull down sets
  • 150 lbs 10 reps
  • 180 lbs 10 reps
  • 210 lbs 10 reps
5. Standing arm curls sets
  • 75 lbs 10 reps
  • 85 lbs 10 reps
  • 95 lbs 10 reps
6. Sit ups
  • I do 100 rep at set changes. I usually get in 10 sets of 100.
Any advice?

upnorthkyosa

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
5x5 set-up? Old school, very simple, and very effective if utilized correctly.

The most important issue to address here is:

When is you test? Which art is it in?

I don't want to say much in the way of "advice" prior to know that.

Although...can you do pull-ups?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to lift weight to test???

o.k.

I'm not trying to compare, but what you listed sould be relatively easy. Have you tried to complete these sets? How did you fare? That will tell you what area's you should focus on for improvement.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
When is your test?

My test will be sometime in the fall of 2006.

Which art is it in?

I train in Tang Soo Do and I linked my requirements in the initial post.

Although...can you do pull-ups?

I do some pull-up on and off. If these are really good excercises for MAists, I could do more.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
celtic_crippler said:
You have to lift weight to test???

My teacher does not have written fitness requirements for testing, however, in order to actually pass one of his tests, you really need to be in good shape. My teacher has been teaching for 20 years full time and he has only five black belts. I'm the only person to have ever trained to 3rd dan with him.

I'm not trying to compare, but what you listed sould be relatively easy.

One of my limitations is time. I only have about 45 minutes in the gym on the days that I lift. On the my lifting days, I get up at 4:30 am and work on stretching, pilates style exercises and slow tai chi movements for about half an hour. Then I drive to the gym and work out until 6:00 am. Then I drive home and get the kids up.

Have you tried to complete these sets? How did you fare?

I've been using this program for a couple of years and I've pretty much hit a plateau. I've tried shifting other things into it, but I ususally fall back onto what I know because I don't know what is best.

That will tell you what area's you should focus on for improvement.

What should I look for?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much of the nature of Tang Soo Do.

I would replace the bench press as a "core" exercise with the overhead press (both strict and push press). Focus on pull-ups, then as a supplement if you like the exercise, you can do the lat pull downs. You will get more out of 1 pull up than you will 10 pull downs.

If you like the BP and think it helps you, do it.

The squat, press, pull ups and maybe a pulling movement (which I would think your coach taught you considering) will be a good base for your program and if you are short on time should cover all bases.

Outside of that, try adding weight or changing the movement for the abs. Big sets like that are great but the abdominal muscles and other muscles of the trunk are stabalizers and need to be strong.

If I am training martial artists a staple of her/his training will always be bodyweight movements (the same for other athletes as well) because if nothing else, when fighting/sparring, that is what you are dealing with.

Push ups, pistols, bear/crab crawls, handstands, etc.

Just a few thoughts.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before my last couple of tests I did a lot of cardio work. I do mean a lot. I cut my lifting routine back to twice a week generally only doing 2 sets of 12 - 15 reps with relatively light weight. The cardio really came in handy. I picked only a handful of exercises and had at it. That was me however.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you are wasting way too much of your valuable workout time doing sit-ups. Thats way more than you need to be doing in any one workout IMO. If they are that easy to do, find a more challanging AB exercise. The Ab wheel will kick your *** if you havent done it before. Cut down the abs and use the time for something else. That and like Shirt Ripper said, look at more "athletic"/bodyweight/power movements, chin-ups, dips, cleans, etc. I like this compound exercise....

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=215comp2
Complex V: Power Clean/Front Squat/Push Press/Squat/Push Press

This is one of my personal favorites that definitely challenges any athlete regardless of his level of expertise! This complex is only suited for those who are comfortable within performance of the classic Olympic lifts and who aren't afraid of "bringing it." It's also a total barbell complex that's best performed with bumper (rubber coated) plates on a proper lifting platform, although you could do it in a commercial gym if needed.

Basically, this is five lifts in one: power clean (hang), front squat, push press, back squat, and push press again. The training load should be selected based upon your push press maximum. For those more comfortable with overhead movements you can also substitute the push jerk for the push press.

To start the lift, stand upright and position hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart; keep your head up and eyes focused straight ahead throughout the total movement. From this position, drop eccentrically into the proper neutral position and explode upward performing a power clean.

I personally prefer exploding (leaping) off the ground and making a hard contact to the ground with a foot stomp, but that isn't imperative. Upon completing the power clean, pause with elbows up high in a good "rack" position and your torso taught. From here, drop into the full front squat and as you begin your ascent upward, drive the weight upwards to perform the push press. Lock weight above your head with total control.

Now, here comes a little twist. Lower the weight to behind the head and drop into the full back squat (Olympic style), butt to heels, with some speed. For those not used to descending with speed, pay careful attention to technique and ensure that your training loads are light enough. From the "basement" of the full squat, rebound and begin driving weight upwards into performing another push press. Again at top of lift, lock out the weight. Lower weight to start of the total complex.

Nice rep! Now repeat to match desired goals. Within this complex, drop intensity to approximately 50 to 60% of push press maximum and perform two to three sets of five reps. Enjoy, this will bust you up bad!

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
one leg, unweighted squats. Stick one leg out and squat down to your heel with the other. You look like a "pistol" when you do it.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
www.t-nation.com is an excellent site. They have a bodybuilding base but also cover a lot in the way of functional real training. The philosophy is kind of: Be badass, but nothing wrong with looking badass too." Dave Tate and Alwyn Cosgrove are just two of the top notch coaches that write for and consult with them. Cosgrove has a heavy martial arts background, TKD, I think.

Latest Discussions