Complimentary Arts

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thread Rob, unfortunately I will have nothing to contribute since I know very little about other arts... I will wait to see responses. TW

A

Ahriman

I had taken a little bit of Aikido. To me it seemed to be a good complimentary to TKD. But one that I think is great is boxing. I did a little bit with a few friends, and being able to work upper body was great since I am already working the lower body with TKD. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been training in a traditional/self defense oriented (as opposed to Olympic/competition style) TKD school for about 8 years. When I earned my 1st dan in TKD, I started studying Hapkido along with continuing my TKD training. I think the HKD concepts of joint locks/throws and blending with/using your opponent's energy complement the "hard" punching/kicking style of TKD nicely. While I still have much to learn about both styles, I really feel that the two together provide almost all of the tools I might need. I say "almost" because neither style (that I've seen so far anyway) involve any "ground work". This hasn't been a high priority for me in the past because I'm a pretty good sized guy, and I was a decent enough wrestler in high school to get scholarship offers from some good schools (I played football instead). But...I am starting to feel the need to learn more about groundfighting just to "round out" my training.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
It'd be much easier to ask which arts don't compliment each other. Oh well...

In my personal experience, fencing was great for improving my sense of distance and timing, and it probably helped my footwork too. In Krav Maga, some of the senior students tried to tell me not to do things that I had learned in TKD, but I managed to prove them wrong when sparring them (it's all about when you use a technique). Even so, I think Krav Maga was a good experience in teaching me how to adapt to different opponents, and I got some practice at hold breaking that we don't do often enough in TKD. Most of what I learned in Filipino martial arts doesn't seem to directly compliment TKD, except for the grappling work. Although I think the experience in defending against weapons (or using them) still makes FMA invaluable to anyone interested in self-defense.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
am i an addict too? i guess the first step is coming out of denial so... no! hee hee!

i think anything that has some weapons and hand fighting. maybe kali and wing chun.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With the idea of arts that compliment TKD, several arts have come to mind. Kenpo, JKD, Modern Arnis, Western Boxing, and Wing Chun all seem to have the ability to compliment TKD's kicking ability with some very innovative hand techniques and fighting strategies.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
With the idea of arts that compliment TKD, several arts have come to mind. Kenpo, JKD, Modern Arnis, Western Boxing, and Wing Chun all seem to have the ability to compliment TKD's kicking ability with some very innovative hand techniques and fighting strategies.
I must agree. Any joint lock, grappeling, punching or weapon art compliments TKD as long as the person you learn it from is not so closed minded as to disregard your prior training. The important thing is to learn how to blend them, I would say that is the hard part.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:

I have yet to see or hear of a hand technique from Kenpo or Western Boxing that I haven't already learned or seen used somewhere in Tae Kwon Do. Which doesn't mean that Kenpo or Boxing don't compliment TKD, but taking them to learn hand techniques should be superfluous if you have decent TKD instruction.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I have yet to see or hear of a hand technique from Kenpo or Western Boxing that I haven't already learned or seen used somewhere in Tae Kwon Do. Which doesn't mean that Kenpo or Boxing don't compliment TKD, but taking them to learn hand techniques should be superfluous if you have decent TKD instruction.
I agree. When I read/hear someone talk about their TKD training as though it is totally about kicking without a thought of hand techniques, at first I get annoyed, then I feel badly for the person, because there's so much more to good TKD instruction than kicking, and that person is missing out.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different arts have different applications for techniques, especially hand techniques. Arts that specific self defense techniques explore the possibilities of various kicking and hand combinations. I have studied several arts over the last 23 yrs of training, and have found that many arts compliment each other if a person takes the time to explore them.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Different arts have different applications for techniques, especially hand techniques. Arts that specific self defense techniques explore the possibilities of various kicking and hand combinations. I have studied several arts over the last 23 yrs of training, and have found that many arts compliment each other if a person takes the time to explore them.

No argument there. What annoys some of us however is the implication by so many people that Tae Kwon Do just doesn't have hand techniques, or that they're not practiced frequently. Perhaps you didn't mean to imply that, but too many people on this board believe that.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think one of the problems has been the WTF sport only mentality that has been so prevalent for the last decade or so. I recieved my Black Belt in 1987 in an ITF school, we did a lot fo hand techniques, and everything was very traditional TKD, I also studied Kenpo at the time.

Later the instructor of the TKD school became a student of mine in Kenpo, and incorporated a lot of teh self defense material into his program. He said that the self defenses changed a lot of the students approach to training, and it complimented his art greatly.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
There has to be more opinions on what arts would compliment TKD.

I'd say any art that:

1. ...fills in the blanks. That is, any art that addresses an area that TKD fails to address sufficiently. Somebody mentioned boxing, which is an excellent example of this in that it develops hand skills that TKD typically lacks. Combine those two with a grappling skill such as Brazilian jujitisu, and perhaps a weapons art...and you find a martial artist that is becoming awfully well rounded.

2. ...takes TKD's training attributes a different direction...such as the kicks of Savate, Hapkido, or Capoeira...and builds on them. Elements from these arts can add a new dimension to a skill (kicking) in which the TKD person is allready proficient.

Regards,

Steve

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I'd say any art that:

1. ...fills in the blanks. That is, any art that addresses an area that TKD fails to address sufficiently. Somebody mentioned boxing, which is an excellent example of this in that it develops hand skills that TKD typically lacks. Combine those two with a grappling skill such as Brazilian jujitisu, and perhaps a weapons art...and you find a martial artist that is becoming awfully well rounded.

2. ...takes TKD's training attributes a different direction...such as the kicks of Savate, Hapkido, or Capoeira...and builds on them. Elements from these arts can add a new dimension to a skill (kicking) in which the TKD person is allready proficient.

Regards,

Steve
Well put, I must agree.

H

Hanzo04

in my opinion kenpo would compliment TKD very well. it goes together. fast hands for fast kicks.

S

sifu nick

We incorporate Aikido, Ju-jitsu, and Judo for our self defense aspects along with Wing Chun drills and boxing techniques for striking training.

Latest Discussions