Competition

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Competition is not really my thing. I train for self defence and self-improvement. However, in Judo you are almost expected to compete, and indeed it is necessary in order to grade. I'm wondering.... should we be forced to compete for grades, or should it be a combination of factors, including technical demonstrations and teaching abilities?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it's a part of the style, it's part of the style. Breaking something apart makes it something else.

/Yari

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aegis,

One thing you can try doing to make the competition more palatable for you is to not look at it as a competition with another judo player, but rather as a competition with yourself. Go into each match with an idea of something you want to improve on from previous matches. Then, win or lose, determine if that thing was improved during the match.

Think of it as competiting with the judo player you were yesterday rather than with the other student.

Cthulhu

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In Judo you know that your belt means something.

If a BJJ guy comes into our dojo and can demonstrate the techniques required for brown belt, and beat some of the other blue/brown belts, then he is a brown belt. No shame on us. It keeps the standards real.

If he doesn't want to compete he remains a white belt, because you only need a belt if you are practising randori, since it tells your opponent to go easy on you if he has a higher belt.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes! If U are in an art that call's
for competion.

Also if U never practise your skills
against a resisting apponent
how can U be sure they work

I have done this for my self
In Grappling, Ju Jitsu & M.M.A.

I love Martial Arts & respect them all.
If competion is what U fear
find an art that dose not make U do it!
:toilclaw: :snipe2: :snipe2:
:asian:
Primo

T

tmanifold

The other thing to remember is that you don't have to compete often. The progression in judo is done on a point system, in addition to technical knowledge. The fastest way is winning tounements but you can normally gain points by:
Teaching
refereeing
Helping administer the school
showing up to class
working for the Org eg Judo BC

So there are other methods. Compete in the local touneys for fun then gain points by doing the other stuff.

Tony

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In judo you are promoted by a poitn system ? That is interesting, so you get points for teaching and the like? So does that make it easier to promote, or do you still find it pretty difficult?

7sm

OP
Aegis

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The only point system I know is for Dan grades, and then they just total up the points you score in competitions or gradings.

Teaching doesn't come into it. I can train someone to be a good fighter, but I don't have the aggression to compete.

S

Shinzu

competition can be very nerve racking sometimes. you never know who or what you will be up against. this is also part of the excitement. it is a chance to better yourself and take a look at what you need to improve on.

in street combat you need to be sure that what you train for will work. i think competition is good in many ways, but it can also be an ego thing for those who just want to bring home trophies.

i compete because it shows good martial spirit and sportsmanship.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I can train someone to be a good fighter, but I don't have the aggression to compete.

You know, I'm the same way but I compete in tournaments twice a year. Lining up against people you don't know makes it harder, more adrenaline, and there is more on the line, if only pressure for you to "represent your school."

That added stress is an important part of self-defense training and it is something you can't always mimic in a dojo where you know everybody.

When I was in BJJ, I went to a tournament and got my *** kicked. I knew that could happen when I walked in the door (I had only been training for 3 months), but the point was the challenge and the stress. I could (and did) get tapped by everyone of my fellow students in my own class, but I wanted the added pressure of a stranger and different mental pressure.

Just my view,

Lamont

PS I respect the way Judo and BJJ promote, you can't be a paper tiger in those arts, because anyone can get "called to the mats."