Competative Da Qiang

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the Kuoshu tournament in Baltimore there is weapons sparring similar to this (but with PVC staffs). If you or anyone else are ever interested in competing look into it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the Kuoshu tournament in Baltimore there is weapons sparring similar to this (but with PVC staffs). If you or anyone else are ever interested in competing look into it.
Now you have mentioned the Baltimore Kuoshu tournament. I used to bring my students to that tournament because they had Sanda fight. One year I brought about 10 students to that tournament. One of my students planed to competed the sword fight (foam sword). There was not even a single person who signed up in that sword fight. They didn't even have a single foam sword there. I was the only sword fight judge available there. I also had a female Sanda fighter who didn't have anybody to fight against. My complain to that tournament was, students had spent airline ticket, hotel bill, registration fee, ... and found out that there was nobody that they could compete with. The tournament should informed me that situation ahead of the time so my students didn't have to waste their money.

I still remember they had "horse stance competition" that year. Whoever could stay in horse stance the longest would be the winner. Also I didn't see any competitor in that division.

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now you have mentioned the Baltimore Kuoshu tournament. I used to bring my students to that tournament because they had Sanda fight. One year I brought about 10 students to that tournament. One of my students planed to competed the sword fight (foam sword). There was not even a single person who signed up in that sword fight. They didn't even have a single foam sword there. I was the only sword fight judge available there. I also had a female Sanda fighter who didn't have anybody to fight against. My complain to that tournament was, students had spent airline ticket, hotel bill, registration fee, ... and found out that there was nobody that they could compete with. The tournament should informed me that situation ahead of the time so my students didn't have to waste their money.

I still remember they had "horse stance competition" that year. Whoever could stay in horse stance the longest would be the winner. Also I didn't see any competitor in that division.
Interesting. I remember the tournament used to be smaller and run less efficiently. Now there are many more competitors (400-500), so it's more likely that there will be competitors in each division. Even certain rare styles make an appearance. There is never a guarantee though.

Latest Discussions