Comments on Blocking Set 1

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some comments for one of my distance students on American Kenpo Blocking Set 1.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of the sets blocking, striking and finger because they're not teaching the moves properly. Sure they're teaching you how to do the blocks and strikes etc but you don't just use your arm on strikes or finger pokes or even blokes you use your foot manouvers to that's where the most power comes in from your torque or rotation or on your blocks from your marriage of gravity. I get that for a beginner it teaches the moves but it also puts into their head just standing there and basically doing arm punches

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
most power comes in from your torque or rotation ...
Agree! One should use body to block and one should not just use arm to block. This way, your body will move out of your opponent's striking path, whether you block his punch or not is no longer important.

IMO, when you have reached to the higher level, people should only see your body motion and people should not see your arm motion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's things like this that makes me really glad that I know kung fu. There seems to be some misconceptions about the rising block. I'm thinking there is some knowledge missing from the OP's video which gives the guy in the video the assumption that "something isn't working or efficient."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There seems to be some misconceptions about the rising block.
The "rising block" suppose to be "raise the curtain, you then walk under it". Without "walk under it", the "raise the curtain" has no meaning.

We all try to develop "body method". It's the body movement that's important.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "rising block" suppose to be "raise the curtain, you then walk under it". Without "walk under it", the "raise the curtain" has no meaning.

I wish people would just say they don't know, or aren't sure. I think when people should talk to martial artists from other systems that use the same or similar technique when they get stuck and aren't sure, (if no one in the school knows). For example, if he had talked to someone like you he would have been able to look at the technique from a different perspective and would have a deeper understanding of his own technique.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score

True, but in the context of this video it is a static set (in a horse stance) as originally taught and I was originally taught 20+ years ago that the upward block (literally above your head) could block an incoming attack....FALSE. part 2 of this video has yet to be filmed showing how I teach blocking set with movement and proper body dimensions (height, width, and depth)

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That would be more descriptive of the upward outward moving block in American Kenpo which is not the block being discussed in this video. Only the upward block is being discussed.

The upward outward moving parry/block can be seen in techniques such as circles of protection.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a fan of the sets blocking, striking and finger because they're not teaching the moves properly. Sure they're teaching you how to do the blocks and strikes etc but you don't just use your arm on strikes or finger pokes or even blokes you use your foot manouvers to that's where the most power comes in from your torque or rotation or on your blocks from your marriage of gravity. I get that for a beginner it teaches the moves but it also puts into their head just standing there and basically doing arm punches
Hense the need for students to learn the "2" sets or as I call them the "moving" sets. But a student needs to crawl before they can can walk or run, that is why we teach the "1" sets predominantly from a static horse stance position.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True, but in the context of this video it is a static set (in a horse stance) as originally taught and I was originally taught 20+ years ago that the upward block (literally above your head) could block an incoming attack
My perception of this is that it's training 2 things at once. It's training the technique and training the legs at the same time. It was never meant to be see as an application where the block is done in horse stance in a fight. If you look at kung fu forms you will see them sometimes punch in a static horse stance. The application is the punch, the stance is the leg workout. I think this is the same for other martial arts that do similar things while in a static horse stance. The application is the rising block and the leg work out is the stance. In self defense, or fight application, you would remove the horse stance and keep the block. Your video would be an example of how form differs from fight application.

I was taught that the form has multiple functions. It may contain actual fight combinations, it may train quickness, it may contain exercises that focus more on specific parts of the body, it may train agility, it may train coordination. The forms are an exercise and not everything in the form are direct fight applications where a person would fight just like they move in the form.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he explained blockikng set 1 good with alot of details

Your student also explained blocking set 1 well, with alot of details. He did both things.

Apologies to KenpoMaster805, my daughter has a Serious problem correctly using the Good vs. Well forms. I have to stay on her all the time. She's 24. It's been a long road and no end in sight.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hense the need for students to learn the "2" sets or as I call them the "moving" sets. But a student needs to crawl before they can can walk or run, that is why we teach the "1" sets predominantly from a static horse stance position.

Even the set 2s aren't great for it first they're not taught until a higher level second blocking set is still stationary apart from a few twists and crane stances, same as striking 2 there's a few step throughs but there's still to much in place stuff and honestly how hard Is it to teach someone to turn their hips boxers learn it on day 1. Even in kenpo you'll be taught about body movement straight away when you do basics in class and techniques.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your student also explained blocking set 1 well, with alot of details. He did both things.

Apologies to KenpoMaster805, my daughter has a Serious problem correctly using the Good vs. Well forms. I have to stay on her all the time. She's 24. It's been a long road and no end in sight.

Mike Bialto aka KenpoMaster805 is neither my instructor, nor my student.
Just to clarify!

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Bialto aka KenpoMaster805 is neither my instructor, nor my student.
Just to clarify!
No clarification needed. He used "Good" where "Well" was the proper English grammar structure, it had nothing to do with you at all.... except that I did the quote thing, which made it ambiguous as I can read now. Apologies.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No clarification needed. He used "Good" where "Well" was the proper English grammar structure, it had nothing to do with you at all.... except that I did the quote thing, which made it ambiguous as I can read now. Apologies.
No problemo

Latest Discussions