Combative systems, that offer remote training content, which focus on weapons-based grappling?

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What are some combative systems, that offer remote training content, which focus on weapons-based grappling/tracing?

I know Knife Control Concepts, and ShivWorks--but ShivWorks online content focuses exclusively on the assumption that you're going to control the weapon while standing, in order to draw your own, and KCC's curriculum is expensive.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I would suggest is get very good at wrestling. And then spend the extra bit learning how to wrestle with a knife.

do a folk style or a catch. Something that likes to grip fight or arm drag.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I would suggest is get very good at wrestling. And then spend the extra bit learning how to wrestle with a knife.

do a folk style or a catch. Something that likes to grip fight or arm drag.
I've found that the "rules" in grappling change entirely, once a weapon is in play, because the focus is on controlling the weapon, and not the other person. Controlling them becomes secondary.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know what tracing is.

Almost all knife defense comes down to grappling so that happens all the time, though figuring out how to strike while defending is huge.

This is a very good product, I have been very impressed with it.

Stick Grappling (you didn't say which weapon)

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Almost all knife defense comes down to grappling so that happens all the time, though figuring out how to strike while defending is huge.

Tracing--as in you follow the weapon.

The JKD bit's price is highly attractive, compared to what else I've seen. I spent a fair amount of time with edged weapon stuff. Counterring and control is easy. My weakness is following it once in clinch, or going to the ground. How much of that does this series cover?

Do you have a resource for handgun as well?

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score

How do you feel about Dog Brothers clinch stick material?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Tracing--as in you follow the weapon.

The JKD bit's price is highly attractive, compared to what else I've seen. I spent a fair amount of time with edged weapon stuff. Counterring and control is easy. My weakness is following it once in clinch, or going to the ground. How much of that does this series cover?

Do you have a resource for handgun as well?
I just went back and looked at it, not much on the ground. Basically just showing how to control the knife from guard and then recover to an inside two on one position. For the rest of the positions he basically says you need more grappling expeirence to pull position improvement off while controlling the weapon for him to be able to address it, so if you are on the bottom he is advising to get back to guard to then get to his preferred inside control point. In rewatching it I am surprised at the lack of a position where the defender has overwrapped the weapon while mounted. Bridging out of that is relatively easy against untrained grapplers.

I don't do a lot with handgun, I like about 90% of the stuff I see from Todd Fossey and he addresses weapon grappling a lot but mostly from the point of the defender so approach wise it is probably pretty similar to your issues with Shivworks.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about Dog Brothers clinch stick material?
Is there a dedicated video to it? I don't remember there being one that really focused instruction on it. More like material spread out over several videos rather than one. Admittedly I don't think I have ever seen anything from DBs where I thought "well that is crap," but there has been stuff that I didn't like or I wouldn't work well for me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've found that the "rules" in grappling change entirely, once a weapon is in play, because the focus is on controlling the weapon, and not the other person. Controlling them becomes secondary.

Correct. But you can't control the weapon without controlling the person.

It is where knife fighting fails under pressure generally.

You take the hand. And they just take it straight back. Or you flail for the hand and you just get shanked repeatedly.

So the rules change. But not the abilities required.

So you will still see a lot of two on one russian stuff and underhook controlling.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
-but ShivWorks online content focuses exclusively on the assumption that you're going to control the weapon while standing, in order to draw your own,
As 4 out of 5 of the remaining Shivworks collective are BJJ black belts, there plenty of grappling on the ground with weapons.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, remaining. Dr William Aprill has passed(RIP). That you have only seen some stuff from Craig Douglas ( the main guy at Shivworks) doesn't mean there is not more content out there.
Who are they? I've only hear of Craig Douglas and one other guy.