Cobra Kai

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I enjoyed the second season. As others said, it's fun entertainment, not a super serious life lesson. That said, I thought the tone change at the end of season two was too sudden and too severe.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is. The guy bullied his students. Made fun of their disabilities, belittled them and embarrassed them, threatened them, insulted them because they weren't as physically strong and never showed any remorse for his past actions and tried to blame all his issues on someone else instead of admitting his mistakes....sounds Like a bully to me

Revived zombie thread. I disagree. Johnny gave the soft, entitled students a dose of realism they desperately needed.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Revived zombie thread. I disagree. Johnny gave the soft, entitled students a dose of realism they desperately needed.
A dose of realism that they needed? kids like Eli had already been getting crap like that at school he has had plenty of realism in that area and then turns up somewhere to learn to protect himself and has an adult bullying him the exact same way....that could easily have caused the kid to contemplate suicide depending on the child. Yes it's a tv show but that id something that is very common that could happen if that were to happen for real

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
A dose of realism that they needed? kids like Eli had already been getting crap like that at school he has had plenty of realism in that area and then turns up somewhere to learn to protect himself and has an adult bullying him the exact same way....that could easily have caused the kid to contemplate suicide depending on the child. Yes it's a tv show but that id something that is very common that could happen if that were to happen for real
144814496-8b0e8f3d-cd07-475f-8439-23eb034f0f97.jpg

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Johnny is the Sergeant Hartman of the Cobra Kai dojo. He transformed Eli into a confident and strong young man. The limitations that everyone else placed on him was holding him back.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Johnny is the Sergeant Hartman of the Cobra Kai dojo. He transformed Eli into a confident and strong young man. The limitations that everyone else placed on him was holding him back.
Actually no...you're totally wrong, he's still just as weak as he was. He's not strong at all. Because he's pretending to be something he's not. Being confident and strong is about being proud of who you are and not caring what people think but he does. He's pretending to not like things that are considered nerdy, he's acting like a moron to be considered cool, he's going against his lifetime friend because he's not considered cool. That's not being strong that's being weak. Just because he has a stupid haircut and acts like a thug that doesn't make him strong. He got turned into a bully because of bad teaching. The kid should've been locked up multiple times, breaking and entering, theft property damage and assault. Do you consider it strength that he stole a ww2 soldiers Medal of Honor?..do you consider that cool or tough?

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually no...you're totally wrong, he's still just as weak as he was. He's not strong at all. Because he's pretending to be something he's not. Being confident and strong is about being proud of who you are and not caring what people think but he does. He's pretending to not like things that are considered nerdy, he's acting like a moron to be considered cool, he's going against his lifetime friend because he's not considered cool. That's not being strong that's being weak. Just because he has a stupid haircut and acts like a thug that doesn't make him strong. He got turned into a bully because of bad teaching. The kid should've been locked up multiple times, breaking and entering, theft property damage and assault. Do you consider it strength that he stole a ww2 soldiers Medal of Honor?..do you consider that cool or tough?

Lol you're really triggered over this. :p Are you ok? Need a tissue or a therapy goat? Coloring book? He took a kid afraid of his own shadow and full of self pity and made him bully proof. Kreese turned Hawk into the kid that tore up Danielle's dojo, not Johnny. Under Johnny, Hawk was kicking *** and picking up chicks...something EVERY teenaged boy hoped to do.

Last edited:
OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Trigger-Job_main-1.jpg

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lol you're really triggered over this. :p Are you ok? Need a tissue or a therapy goat? Coloring book? He took a kid afraid of his own shadow and full of self pity and made him bully proof. Kreese turned Hawk into the kid that tore up Danielle's dojo, not Johnny. Under Johnny, Hawk was kicking *** and picking up chicks...something EVERY teenaged boy hoped to do.

Hawk fight dirty at the end of season one, before Kreese appeared. The transformation was already beginning.

Johnny meant well but his lessons were not perfect, and Hawk benefited from the confidence, but Hawk overcorrected and became a bully.

Johnny meant well but is flawed. There were good and bad parts of how he transformed Hawk. It's not a black or white issue, and isn't meant to be.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I just got done watching season one, and it was quite good. The constant hat tipping towards the original movies really tickled my nostalgia bone.

But it also got me wondering.

The show did a really good job at making karate lessons seem cool. Hell I almost went out to sign up for some "old fashioned karate" after watching it. So my question is for you karate students and instructors. Have you noticed an up turn in attendance lately?

Cobra Kai actually played a role in me choosing to start karate a year ago.

I had actually been looking to train in martial arts long before I had seen Cobra Kai, but was only interested in hybrid arts.

I actually had my heart set on hapkido, but live halfway between two dojangs that are 20+ miles away from me - a drive that I'm not willing to make.

Cobra Kai opened my mind to karate, so here here I am.

I was going to take "a" martial art with or without Cobra Kai... but karate became an option because of it.

Latest Discussions