Cobra Kai

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts on this whole thing.
Loved the series, thought it had reasonable morals, johnny started to pull his life together (resilience), Daniel showed some compassion helping Robbie at the tournament, Sam (and moon, in a way) showed that kinship is more important than popularity.
And Miguel stood up to the school bullies.

Later on, Johnny is trying to make good, admonishing both Miguel and Hawk for playing dirty.

On a general note, if your coach isn't pushing you, you're not going to be your best. Which is why in the real world, very few successful athletes are coached by friends or family.
He can't tell off his students for fighting dirty when he's the one that taught them to fight like that and do whatever they can to win. If he had taught them properly they wouldn't have acted that way. Neither of those kids would've done anything like that before starting training

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He can't tell off his students for fighting dirty when he's the one that taught them to fight like that and do whatever they can to win. If he had taught them properly they wouldn't have acted that way. Neither of those kids would've done anything like that before starting training

And before he did that, Miguel had been badly beaten in a real-world confrontation in the locker room. An attitude that can cross the line to poor sportsmanship in the tournament context is also what Miguel needed to successfully defend himself outside of the tournament context (i.e., in the cafeteria fight). That's part of the moral nuance that's picked up here that was missing from the original morally-black-and-white Karate Kid.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the word 'bully' is tossed around far too much these days to be honest. I don't know that all the coddling of young people that has become popular recently is a move in a good direction.

We are creating a whole generation of pansies.
Quite simply, a bully is somebody who instigates. Somebody who goes looking for trouble. Somebody who picks fights. That's what a bully is.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And before he did that, Miguel had been badly beaten in a real-world confrontation in the locker room. An attitude that can cross the line to poor sportsmanship in the tournament context is also what Miguel needed to successfully defend himself outside of the tournament context (i.e., in the cafeteria fight). That's part of the moral nuance that's picked up here that was missing from the original morally-black-and-white Karate Kid.
And why did he get beaten up? Because he started that fight...he could've walked away like his friends did but he stayed there because he wanted to fight because he wasn't taught about deescalation and walking away from fights

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I stumbled across these videos on Youtube so thought I would post it here. What kind of karate is in Cobra Kai:

Do you agree or not agree. That is the question.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I stumbled across these videos on Youtube so thought I would post it here. What kind of karate is in Cobra Kai:

Do you agree or not agree. That is the question.
It's Hollywood fu....all the moves used are generic moves that are used in pretty much every stand up style of martial arts

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the guy in the video for the reasons he states.

I really wish they didn’t butcher Seiunchin kata as much as they did. And they butchered it even more in Cobra Kai. Before I saw Cobra Kai, I was really hoping they didn’t do Seiunchin. Then when I saw what they added to it - the spinning kicks while they were on the dock - I was even more pissed.

Yeah, I know... I shouldn’t care. I’ve tried not to care, but no matter what I do, it still bothers me. Makes no sense, but I can’t control it.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I really wish they didn’t butcher Seiunchin kata as much as they did. And they butchered it even more in Cobra Kai. Before I saw Cobra Kai, I was really hoping they didn’t do Seiunchin. Then when I saw what they added to it - the spinning kicks while they were on the dock - I was even more pissed.

Yeah, I know... I shouldn’t care. I’ve tried not to care, but no matter what I do, it still bothers me. Makes no sense, but I can’t control it.
LOL, funny how I feel the exact same way about how Seiunchin (Seienchin) kata is performed in the movies. There is a lot wrong with it on many levels. You are not alone and the struggle is real ;) .

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

LOL, funny how I feel the exact same way about how Seiunchin (Seienchin) kata is performed in the movies. There is a lot wrong with it on many levels. You are not alone and the struggle is real ;) .
Hahahaha! Ah yeah I sorta know what you mean about Seiunchin.

Just went back and rewatched the clips when he did the kata... up on the mountain with Miyagi, and in the last fight scene... and sorry I just absolutely love it haha. Even technically if it's been altered a bit, I just love the meaning behind it. That training up on the top of the mountain, and then the last fight scene that is just gold...

Love when Daniel is on the ground, admitting he's afraid to Miyagi, then Mike Barnes absolutely in his face screaming at him, as though it was the voice of fear within Daniel screaming at him, but the calm and poise that Daniel had on his face as he looked at it and was able to face it, the kata was just representing his focus to be with his experience in the moment, and it completely threw 'fear'. Just loved everything it represented, and teared up watching that last fight scene haha.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahahaha! Ah yeah I sorta know what you mean about Seiunchin.

Just went back and rewatched the clips when he did the kata... up on the mountain with Miyagi, and in the last fight scene... and sorry I just absolutely love it haha. Even technically if it's been altered a bit, I just love the meaning behind it. That training up on the top of the mountain, and then the last fight scene that is just gold...

Love when Daniel is on the ground, admitting he's afraid to Miyagi, then Mike Barnes absolutely in his face screaming at him, as though it was the voice of fear within Daniel screaming at him, but the calm and poise that Daniel had on his face as he looked at it and was able to face it, the kata was just representing his focus to be with his experience in the moment, and it completely threw 'fear'. Just loved everything it represented, and teared up watching that last fight scene haha.
I know I “liked” your post, and I genuinely do.

But the way you feel about it, I feel the EXACT OPPOSITE of that :) I hate everything they turned it into, in addition to how they performed it. In Karate Kid 3 and in Cobra Kai. I HATE how Robbie was moving his arm and focusing during the finals. I HATE how Daniel walked around the ring doing the kata. I HATE IT! I like the focus and calming down they brought in, but do it another way.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I get both your perspectives. I enjoy the sentiment but for me they killed the kata. Ok Daniel doing it like that.......sure. He hasn’t taken hours upon hours to learn it but Miyagi has years to practice it. It should have been awesome technically, imho.

Good idea but crappy execution but just a pet peeve. Other than that it got me interested in Karate .

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know I “liked” your post, and I genuinely do.

But the way you feel about it, I feel the EXACT OPPOSITE of that :) I hate everything they turned it into, in addition to how they performed it. In Karate Kid 3 and in Cobra Kai. I HATE how Robbie was moving his arm and focusing during the finals. I HATE how Daniel walked around the ring doing the kata. I HATE IT! I like the focus and calming down they brought in, but do it another way.

I get both your perspectives. I enjoy the sentiment but for me they killed the kata. Ok Daniel doing it like that.......sure. He hasn’t taken hours upon hours to learn it but Miyagi has years to practice it. It should have been awesome technically, imho.

Good idea but crappy execution but just a pet peeve. Other than that it got me interested in Karate .

Hehe yep fair enough I get what ya mean for sure ;D (also got me interested in karate!)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's Hollywood fu....all the moves used are generic moves that are used in pretty much every stand up style of martial arts
Martial arts used in movies are still often based on real martial arts. The Miyagi Do style that's first seen in the first Karate Kid movie was based on Goju Ryu and some of the techniques in Goju Ryu are just like the wax on, wax off techniques. The fictional character Mr. Miyagi was named after the real Chojun Miyagi who was the founder of Goju Ryu.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Actually, “Miyagi” aka Pat Morita didn’t have any MA experience either. His stunt double was Fumio Demura.

I guess skipping the 2 gendan brais in kiba dachi on both sides, then the rest of the kata after the movement they did at the end (don’t know the name) wasn’t Hollywood enough for them. And the move he used to win the tournament in 3 was a stupid bunkai. It just went from bad to worse for me.

I’m not looking for a fantastic technical performance of the kata. Just a realistic one. There are plenty of different ways to do it; I’d have accepted any of them. It didn’t have to be the way I was taught it by any means; just accurate to SOMEONE who knows it. Either do it right or do something else that fits the story line.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, “Miyagi” aka Pat Morita didn’t have any MA experience either. His stunt double was Fumio Demura.

I guess skipping the 2 gendan brais in kiba dachi on both sides, then the rest of the kata after the movement they did at the end (don’t know the name) wasn’t Hollywood enough for them. And the move he used to win the tournament in 3 was a stupid bunkai. It just went from bad to worse for me.

I’m not looking for a fantastic technical performance of the kata. Just a realistic one. There are plenty of different ways to do it; I’d have accepted any of them. It didn’t have to be the way I was taught it by any means; just accurate to SOMEONE who knows it. Either do it right or do something else that fits the story line.
Technically it wasn't the form you learnt because it was called a fundamental kata in miyagi do and miyagi do in karate kid universe is a fictional style so technically even though it's based on a real kata the one performed would be a different one to the real because it's all fictional

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really loved this show. My wife and I are children of the 80s, so this was a lot of fun to watch. Made us feel kind of old though.

Looking forward to season 2. I just hope that the character revealed at the end doesn't ruin the vibe of the show.

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the show, it took me back when I saw the first movie in the 80's and I found that I was rooting for Johnny Lawrence... Can't wait for Series 2 to come out...

As for attendance, no didn't have an effect - that we saw. Youtube Red was only launch in the UK in June this year and it's more expensive than Netflix and Amazon Prime, so that would have an effect on viewing/impact over here...

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like ever one else I loved the movies, good karate beats bad karate. Good karate makes you happy and at peace, bad karate does not.
I enjoy the series because, Johnny is learning that Cobra Kia is a bad way to run your life.
I was small for my age and my father was in the oil field so we moved every year. I was a bully magnet. I learn to hit first, because even though I probably would not win, if I could hurt him a little I was not worth bullying.
I wish it was not true, but I learn have in real fights Cobra Kia works.
Cobra Kia does not work toward having a good life. I think Johnny is learning that.

joem789

White Belt
Reaction score
Not to revive an old thread, but I believe the 2nd season has proven to be an all around bad example for martial arts and the original family franchise called Karate Kid. They sensationalized the offense, even on the Laruso side. Just a buncha of immature, unwise kids and adults trying to hurt each other and have rants. I was pretty ashamed to see how it turned out. Not likely to bother seeing the next one. Miyagi taught the basic lesson of subdue your opponent enough to get away. NOT look good kicking a room full of a$$e$.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to revive an old thread, but I believe the 2nd season has proven to be an all around bad example for martial arts and the original family franchise called Karate Kid. They sensationalized the offense, even on the Laruso side. Just a buncha of immature, unwise kids and adults trying to hurt each other and have rants. I was pretty ashamed to see how it turned out. Not likely to bother seeing the next one. Miyagi taught the basic lesson of subdue your opponent enough to get away. NOT look good kicking a room full of a$$e$.
Don't take it to seriously it's an entertainment show if there wasn't fights and drama no ones going to watch

Latest Discussions