Civilian Defense Force

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In your platform, you make reference to the institution of a Civilian Defense Force. Could you expand upon this idea? Please include an overview of the idea, the functions, the benefits you perceive, etcetera.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, sorry missed this one.
I'll post this shortly. Thanks for the bump. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Civilian Defense Force (or CDF) would be less than a militia, but more than a patriotic organization.

One problem I've always had is that we require our children to say a daily loyalty oath, without really requiring them to understand 'why'. We graduate kids from high school who have no understanding of how things work, why they are, or even why they should care.

The CDF would be a way to boost the average citizens appreciation for just what America really stands for, and prepare them for a better future in which they themselves take an active, not passive, role..

One part would be the 'Education Initiative' in which a study system would be created and setup in every school across the country. This system, would start at an early age educating children in the great things about our country. Now, some folks will say 'brainwashing', but that is not the intent.

If we ask the average person on the street to name 10 great things about America, most will be at a loss. The early parts of the program will be the fun things. Facts about famous people, inventions that changed the world, etc. At the later stages, information on the political history of the country would be introduced. Who our Founding Fathers were, the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, how the political process works, etc.

The overall goal is to produce more politically aware citizens who understand what America was founded on, and built by. This will result in a more politically involved citizen.

Another part of the program will be aimed at High Schoolers and consist of a mandatory public service and mandatory political service.
The public service can be anything that benefits the community in which they live. Beach cleanups, park maintenance, litter patrols, graffiti removal, etc.
The political service would be sort of a internship, where they can either work with an existing elected official, or volunteer to help in a campaign.

This will give them an up close look at the political process, as well as help them become more active in their community.

A third part of the CDF would be entered during their senior year in HS, or Freshman year in collage. It would consist of a 2 classes, 1 semester in what I call 'the basics'. Stuff like balancing a checkbook, basic cooking, basic first aid, sanitation and hygiene, etc. 1 semester in 'business 101'. Stuff like time management, basic business concepts, basic accounting, understanding taxes, etc.

The final goal, is to produce a citizen who can better take care of themselves, is more involved in both the community and political system, and who has more options for their future.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool! Totally unlike what I expected. So less to do with National defense (physically) and more to do with social defense (civic awareness)?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly. One of the problems we face today in our youth is they lack 'hope'. Part of the cause is that they don't know so much, and this will give them both the tools and the 'reason' to find that hope.

It may have physical side effects. Better self esteem, less depression, less promiscuity/obesity/etc.

The main goal is social and civic though.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob. Did somebody give you conservative shock therapy lately?? ;)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
It may have physical side effects. Better self esteem, less depression, less promiscuity/obesity/etc.
How/why would that come to pass?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some studies point at a low self image or low self esteem as being a contributor to depression, promiscuity, obesity.

Low self esteem in part may be caused by feelings of hopelessness, not belonging, fears, etc.

By promoting positives, and giving our people the tools they need to 'get involved', it may improve self esteem.

Another possible side effect would be a better health level for the average person. Studies have suggested that 'happy' people are less at risk of illness, and when they are ill, heal faster.

Alot of this is 'maybes' and 'could bes'. I believe however that by showing our kids what really is great about America, and showing them how the system really works, and giving them the tools to get involved, that it will restore hope to them. Without hope, we are lost. As the children are our future and our legacy, I want both to be bright. :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the idea of giving students context for understanding why they're studying their nation's history, and as a means to encourage a greater level of political awareness. I'm somewhat iffy on the notion that giving an extended civics lesson to a kid'll make them happy. The whole idea of nationalistic fervor somehow completing one's life... Eww.

I was personally more offended than empowered when I hit college and found that I'd have to take a class dedicated to telling incoming students to exercise. (Seemed mroe like a dumbed down version of middle school and high school health class.) Waste of my money, and a waste of my time. If they start having to tell incoming college students how to *bathe*, it seems to me that the nation's youth are well beyond saving.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of these items can be added painlessly to existing classes. Most schools (grade/high) require a health class of some kind for example.

I do agree with you on the 'iffyness'. I see it as some will 'get it' and some won't. Even a small 10% annual increase in involved citizens will add up in time. I think that feeling you 'can' make a difference will lead many more people to try than we have today.

P

PeachMonkey

A possible interesting side-effect of requiring political volunteering would be to produce a large free labor force for campaigns, thus possibly helping to reduce the corrupting dependence on money that most politicians currently suffer.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Some of these items can be added painlessly to existing classes. Most schools (grade/high) require a health class of some kind for example.

Yes, but after the second time, the information in the course becomes redundant. Either the people will follow the advice given or they won't. One more blast of it in college shouldn't make a difference.

I do agree with you on the 'iffyness'. I see it as some will 'get it' and some won't. Even a small 10% annual increase in involved citizens will add up in time. I think that feeling you 'can' make a difference will lead many more people to try than we have today.

Along similar lines, I'd rather see a better range of topics covered than this focus on intensive remediation that's all the rage right now. Great, you have math and English covered, but if you're producing kids that enter college surprised by the idea of plate tectonics etc, you've given them a massive hill to climb. It'd be nice to see things like world history and geography gain more attention in school as well. Getting some sense of the rest of the world couldn't hurt the kiddies.

Getting real tired of Jay Leno finding people who say stuff like, "Canada? I think it's to the South..."

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is not the job of the Federal government to cover that level of education. That is the job of the state and local communities, as well as the parents. I believe that by encouraging private investment into our education system that we can provide our kids up to date training with modern equipment, without adding to our already over taxsed population.

P

PeachMonkey

Kaith Rustaz said:
Unfortunately, it is not the job of the Federal government to cover that level of education. That is the job of the state and local communities, as well as the parents.

Unfortunately, leaving education entirely to state and local communities will result in vast disparities in quality and curriculum (beyond what those we already see based on socio-economic class).

Keith Rustaz said:
I believe that by encouraging private investment into our education system that we can provide our kids up to date training with modern equipment, without adding to our already over taxsed population.

My worry here revolves around the fact that private corporations are not known for their long-term thinking, and in the short term, these corporations have little interest in education beyond those basic skills they see necessary for their wage-slaves. This focus will leave such items as history, geography, the arts, and even certain sciences by the wayside.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
Unfortunately, leaving education entirely to state and local communities will result in vast disparities in quality and curriculum (beyond what those we already see based on socio-economic class).
That is a valid concern, and one which I do agree with. However, right now, the education standards in NY are not the same as those in GA or CA. A rough 'framework' designed by educators to determine what is the minimum 'everyone should know' may be something worth study. We must however allow for regional 'specialties' in the curiculum.

My worry here revolves around the fact that private corporations are not known for their long-term thinking, and in the short term, these corporations have little interest in education beyond those basic skills they see necessary for their wage-slaves. This focus will leave such items as history, geography, the arts, and even certain sciences by the wayside.
I agree with your worries, but believe them to be unfounded. Today, companies earn millions if not billions in tax breaks by donating to the schools. Apple attracted a generation to it's Mac platform by donating hardware. Many of those people now make excellent livings as designers and artists. Apple didn't say "only teach them Mac stuff". Today, our schools are either lacking in computers or struggling along with outdated and ill repaired PCs. Text books are decades out of date, maps hopelessly so, and billions wasted due to poor heating/cooling systems and enviromentally unfriendly buildings.

By encouraging private development and supply of the next generation of schools, our kids will have access to state of the art equipments, comfortable learning enviroments, and a more robust education.

While these companies may get tax breaks, earn income from rent/maintainence, they will not have a say in what is taught. Yes, they may reap a reward in future consumers (ala Apple), but how many of us have used a tool then bought one for ourselves?

I firmly believe that the best way to defend our 'way of life' and to improve it, is to build our future. Our future is our kids. By educating them, by instilling into them the ideals behind this country, by equiping them with the best we can, they can restore the shine to America.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I firmly believe that the best way to defend our 'way of life' and to improve it, is to build our future. Our future is our kids. By educating them, by instilling into them the ideals behind this country, by equiping them with the best we can, they can restore the shine to America.
All right Kaith! You've got the politispeak down perfectly! I'd say you are ready for 2008!

Latest Discussions