Choosing a meaningful Avatar.

Baketown83

White Belt
Reaction score
Being that I am new to MT I felt like it was important to choose an avatar that was meaningful and has some importance to me. I chose this picture of Bruce holding a pair of nunchuks, because I too want to learn how to master the art of nunchuks. Have you ever seen a person swinging away with a pair? It has to be one of the most awesome sights in the world. The way that someone can operate them without the slightest hesitation because they are not scared they will hit themselves. I want to achieve this same ora that these professionals posses.

Also the person holding the nunchuks holds a importance in the decision for me. I have read some of Bruce Lee's writings and I agree with alot of his ideals. When I read his writings it is as if he is on a totally other level, that makes complete and absolute sense. Being new to the Martial Arts world I have felt that I must do my research and study the Arts. I feel that, thats the only way I can truly say that I am a student of Martial Arts. I have chosen to study Kenpo. I would also like to eventually study JKD, and I want to master nunchuks. These are just a few of the goals I have for myself.

Bake

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
And those are some great goals. Have you found an instructor to teach you?

My Avatar is my school logo.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many schools teach and train using double Nunchaku...mostly for "Demo's".

In our system we must learn to use both...more to be familar with the weapons. Fun too! ........Aloha

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
your enthusiasm is where it needs to be hopefully you find a good school/instructor. i feel the same way about escrima sticks and kali sticks as you do the nuchuku. when i was learning the chucks i was taught to learn with my left hand first since i am right handed. it helped a lot and i would definately recomend that approach. mainly though, never give up!

with respect,
painstain

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best of luck to you..Be VERY careful when practicing wiith the "chucks" ..I have had my share of bumps, bruises and Sensei gave himself a serious concussion once..Keep us posted.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
The best of luck to you..Be VERY careful when practicing wiith the "chucks" ..I have had my share of bumps, bruises and Sensei gave himself a serious concussion once..Keep us posted.

Heh. Just look at the inside part of the elbows, and you'll know who has been experimenting with nunchaku!

To Baketown83:

By all means, I encourage you to pursue your goals. Just be patient, and if you can find some good instruction on using them, then so much the better.

In the meantime, though, the sword-swinger in me is going to tell you to get a set of foam-covered plastic nunchaku first, so you can practice safely, and where mistakes won't hurt nearly as much. Once you're much more sure of yourself, then work with the wooden ones, but until then, enjoy learning with foam. There's no shame in it at all, much like how those who practice Kendo / Kenjutsu / Iaido learn with bokken (wooden) and / or shinai (bamboo) instead of sharp steel.

If anything, remember, that Bruce Lee used mostly light plastic nunchaku on the movie sets, so again, there's no shame in learning safely!

Good luck.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
If anything, remember, that Bruce Lee used mostly light plastic nunchaku on the movie sets, so again, there's no shame in learning safely!

Good luck.

Read and Heed..

Latest Discussions