Chinese Tycoon Offers $$$ for Tai Chi to defeat MMA

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So there's this:

Chinese tycoon offers $1.45 million to tai chi warrior who can defeat MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong | Taiwan News

"Chen Sheng (陳生), the millionaire who founded Tiandi No.1 Beverage Inc., is offering the massive cash prize to “defend the dignity” of martial artists after Xu bludgeoned an obscure masseur and part-time tai chi practitioner, who claims to be a "master," in a bare knuckle, no holds barred match that ended in less than 10 seconds. Chen is proposing 5 matches, with the victor of each contest winning US$1.5 million and the loser taking home US$500,000. "

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Time for connor Mcgregor to take up tai chi.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure there are many Sanda or CMA guys who can defeat that MMA guy. But if there is not even one 100% Taiji guy who wants to take that challenge, it still doesn't mean anything.

After all, it's MMA vs. Taiji. It's not

- MMA vs. Sanda, or
- MMA vs. CMA.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure there are many Sanda or CMA guys who can defeat that MMA guy. But if there is not even one 100% Taiji guy who wants to take that challenge, it still doesn't mean anything.

After all, it's MMA vs. Taiji. It's not

- MMA vs. Sanda, or
- MMA vs. CMA.
with the looser getting $ 500,000, I would think a lot of people might give it ago. Hell Il do chi for a couple of months and roll on down there

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

The "MMA guy" has already put some restrictions on who he would fight. He will not fight a taiji fighter who hones their skills in sanda formats, which many of the Chen stylists do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA guy has gone fishing. And hasn't come back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So there's this:

Chinese tycoon offers $1.45 million to tai chi warrior who can defeat MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong | Taiwan News

"Chen Sheng (陳生), the millionaire who founded Tiandi No.1 Beverage Inc., is offering the massive cash prize to “defend the dignity” of martial artists after Xu bludgeoned an obscure masseur and part-time tai chi practitioner, who claims to be a "master," in a bare knuckle, no holds barred match that ended in less than 10 seconds. Chen is proposing 5 matches, with the victor of each contest winning US$1.5 million and the loser taking home US$500,000. "
Dang. I'll go for it. I have a couple Tai Chi techniques that I think I can use. $500k is the worst outcome for me. lol.

DeIllusitory

White Belt
Reaction score

The "MMA guy" has already put some restrictions on who he would fight. He will not fight a taiji fighter who hones their skills in sanda formats, which many of the Chen stylists do.

I'm trying to find these restrictions, where is the list? I train Kung Fu but started off in kickboxing.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to find these restrictions, where is the list? I train Kung Fu but started off in kickboxing.

It wasn't the tycoon that put a "list" out, from what I have seen in some kung fu circles when they brought up the Chen stylists the Chinese MMA guy said that it wasn't real tai chi if they fought in sanda and wouldn't fight them.