Chinese Kempo or Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone train in either of these two systems and which of the two would you recommend most based on if both teachers were equally good?

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone train in either of these two systems and which of the two would you recommend most based on if both teachers were equally good?

Hello,i would like to say that the word "kempo" is the Japanese term, "kenpo" is the Chinese.as far as teachers go there are a lot out there,where do you live??:lookie: not sure if i understand your question :asian:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,i would like to say that the word "kempo" is the Japanese term, "kenpo" is the Chinese.as far as teachers go there are a lot out there,where do you live??:lookie: not sure if i understand your question :asian:

Partly correct, Mr. Elmer. True when applied to the arts coming from Hawaii. However, in Japan, the phrase "Chinese Kempo" has become synonymous with "Some Japanese guy who studied kung-fu or chin-na on the Chinese mainland or in Taiwan, and combines it with cultural training methods indicative of Japan, maybe combining it with aikijujutsu, boxing, or some other martial arts, depending on which lineage we're referencing."

Same applies to Okinawan systems, with recent infusions of Chinese martial arts.

As to the original post, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Lived next to a practicing Kobayashi family member for several years, and his karate was impeccable. From what I've seen of others from the ryu, it seems pretty consistent. I'm also a ranking instructor in one of the Chinese Kempo lineages as described above, and like it for the simple strike coimbinations that are grafted to some nifty entanglements. I think whichever you choose, you'll be justifiably satisfied.

D.

PS -- beware. There are some ridiculous guys out there who have taken a little bit of this and a little bit of that, decorated their schools in dragons and cheap asian chatchka's, and call their hodgepodge "Chinese Kempo", or some similar variant. If that's what you're looking at, go with the Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Partly correct, Mr. Elmer. True when applied to the arts coming from Hawaii. However, in Japan, the phrase "Chinese Kempo" has become synonymous with "Some Japanese guy who studied kung-fu or chin-na on the Chinese mainland or in Taiwan, and combines it with cultural training methods indicative of Japan, maybe combining it with aikijujutsu, boxing, or some other martial arts, depending on which lineage we're referencing."

Same applies to Okinawan systems, with recent infusions of Chinese martial arts.

As to the original post, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Lived next to a practicing Kobayashi family member for several years, and his karate was impeccable. From what I've seen of others from the ryu, it seems pretty consistent. I'm also a ranking instructor in one of the Chinese Kempo lineages as described above, and like it for the simple strike coimbinations that are grafted to some nifty entanglements. I think whichever you choose, you'll be justifiably satisfied.

D.

PS -- beware. There are some ridiculous guys out there who have taken a little bit of this and a little bit of that, decorated their schools in dragons and cheap asian chatchka's, and call their hodgepodge "Chinese Kempo", or some similar variant. If that's what you're looking at, go with the Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu.

i stand corrected,,:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What are your goals?

Shorin-ryu is classical Okinawan Karate. Personally, I like the Okinawan Karate systems. Chinese Kenpo is not well-defined but should mean Southern Chinese Kung Fu in my opinion. (More commonly, it's used for various modern Chinese-influenced systems.) Both can be good. It'll depend on the instructor! Check out both groups.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been out of training for over a year and a half now and just want to get back into it. My goals ofcourse are to work on self-defense techniques but they have never been my main focus. I enjoy the mental aspects and spiritual side of martial arts as much as the self-defense and physical if not more. I've heard good things about both of the systems and was wanting to get some advice from those who have trained in either.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am very partial to Okinawan karate in general but even more to Shorin Ryu.

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am Chibana-ha (Kobayashi) Shorin-ryu player.
In the states, there are two prominent teachers.
Iha and Nakazato Sensei. If you can find a teacher
who trained with either of these two, then I would suggest
checking them out.

Nakazato's organization, ShorinKan:
http://www.shorinryushorinkan.com/index.htm

Iha's organization, Beikoku ShidoKan:
http://www.ihadojo.com/index.htm

The ShorinKan is known for turning out some good fighters.

Hope that helps!

dtf

White Belt
Reaction score
I am Chibana-ha (Kobayashi) Shorin-ryu player.
In the states, there are two prominent teachers.
Iha and Nakazato Sensei. If you can find a teacher
who trained with either of these two, then I would suggest
checking them out.

Ray, there is another teacher who teaches Kobayashi Shorin Ryu who can provide some traditional training; Yamashita Sensei. There are many dojos in the US that are associated with Yamashita Sensei.

David Frank
Shorin Ryu

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This teacher actually studied with Shugoro Nakazato in okinawa where he is from also. He has since earned his 8th degree black belt from him.

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ray, there is another teacher who teaches Kobayashi
Shorin Ryu who can provide some traditional training; Yamashita Sensei.
There are many dojos in the US that are associated with Yamashita Sensei.

David Frank
Shorin Ryu

Thank-you David. I totally blanked out on him. I hope to be meeting him very soon.

Peace.

dtf

White Belt
Reaction score
So you guys think Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu would be better than kenpo?

Even great schools have some bad instructors. You need to check out the instructors for the schools you might like to join.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yep i know. I just meant based on the styles themselves, shorin-ryu seems to be one of the most recommended karate styles.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Al,

I'm gonna get radical. I've been in some kind of training since 1969 and I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as style ... only curriculum. There are a limited number of ways to violate the human body ... everything else seems to be window dressing to me. In my experience, it's the individual fighter that makes the biggest difference.

therefore I'd search for the right teacher ... the art's title is superfluous ... at least that's my take.

For the past 19 years I've been studying Shorin Ryu. There are many, many branches. Here's what I like about much of the Shorin Ryu curriculum; an emphasis on getting off line (as opposed to my Isshin Ryu and Goju Ryu brothers and sisters who tend to attack the center line and the first one who quits, loses). At my age (with my injuries) I prefer fighting from the outside in with my opponents centerline facing anywhere but at me.

xo

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Explorer, I was just wondering how far your school is located from your home and how often you make it to class?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
my suggestion would be for any of the Okinawan systems...Kobayashi or shobayashi or Matsubayashi are all combat proven... most systems that call them selves kempo are Japanese systems of Chinese systems modified to Japanese cultural and combat doctrines.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Al,

I run my school ... so I'm there every time the doors are open. Like many other Okinawan schools that focus on self defense we don't have classes 6 days a week. We teach three times a week and go to a few seminars. Oh, we also have picnics and go to MA movies together. I guess it would be fair to say it's a lifestyle thing with me. Oh, I train once a month with my sensei. And I practice 3 times a week at Gold's ... you should see the looks I get! One lady asked me if I was ... get this ... DANCING! I said, yes.

:)

xo

Latest Discussions