Category Completion

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by nightingale8472

I've read this whole thread, and i still don't quite know what it is.

:confused:

I can't think of a better way to describe it. It's just being systematic, which requires putting things into categories, and then suddenly you have to complete the exploration of those categories -- category completion. Divvy stuff up, figure it out, teach the next person what you learned.

It would be easier to show you than to tell you -- which means I don't know it well enough to tell you but it's easy enough to show things I don't fully understand.

;)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, There are many different types of categories "supposedly" out there if you look for them hard enough. What I know about kenpo would only scratch a surface so to speak. I've heard about this cat. comp. ever since I started 8yrs. ago. I still don't understand a lot of it. Once again I'll state I don't care for the phrase. I'd rather know terms in family groupings or leveraging, opposits or get into that type of material. The last seminar I went to with Mr. Planas he had said hugging pendulum was leaping crane from behind. I stood & scratched my head for a while until he explained in detail why Huggnig Pendulum was Leaping Crane from behind. Is this a category completion, maybe but I'd rather not get into cat. comp. it gives me a headache. Once again this is just my two pennies. One person's opinion and nothing more than that.
Jason Farnsworth:(

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Well, There are many different types of categories "supposedly" out there if you look for them hard enough. What I know about kenpo would only scratch a surface so to speak. I've heard about this cat. comp. ever since I started 8yrs. ago. I still don't understand a lot of it. Once again I'll state I don't care for the phrase. I'd rather know terms in family groupings or leveraging, opposits or get into that type of material. The last seminar I went to with Mr. Planas he had said hugging pendulum was leaping crane from behind. I stood & scratched my head for a while until he explained in detail why Huggnig Pendulum was Leaping Crane from behind. Is this a category completion, maybe but I'd rather not get into cat. comp. it gives me a headache. Once again this is just my two pennies. One person's opinion and nothing more than that.
Jason Farnsworth:(

Depends on how you use it. Start small like the example I gave and let it grow. As long as things follow a logical process based on concepts, theories, and principles you can use ideas anyway you want. How many ways can you apply pressure to someone?

:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Category completion, as much as GD will debate, is legitiment.

Take the handsword strikes for example. Apply the different direction you can use, i.e Upward, downward, inward, outward, diagonal, forward, backward. Reverse edge and traditional knife edge. Then the types Hammering, whipping, thrusting, etc.

Now do it with the right, then the left, then both. Do it upside down and rightside up, figure eights, etc. On the inside of an arm, on the outside. Can you see where I am going with this?

I heard that once you learn all the forms up to Long 6 you'll know all the opposites and reverses. Apply that to a weapon and see where it leads you. You can only use a weapon in so many ways.

When you have exhuasted all the "practical" means of applying the weapon you have completed that category.

At least that's the way I look at it. :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
Category completion, as much as GD will debate, is legitiment.

Wait a sec....... I never said it was not legitimate..... just looking for clarification, and supportive material once the term was used. It seemed that at times when someone was asked a question on something ..... they answered with "category completion". I never heard Mr. Parker use the term. So was curious where the term originated and just what categories were completed.

Take the handsword strikes for example.
Apply the different direction you can use, i.e Upward, downward, inward, outward, diagonal, forward, backward.

Reverse edge and traditional knife edge.

Then the types Hammering, whipping, thrusting, etc.

Now do it with the
right,
then the left,
then both.
Do it upside down and
right side up,
figure eights, etc.
On the inside of an arm,
on the outside.

Can you see where I am going with this?

I heard that once you learn all the forms up to Long 6 you'll know all the opposites and reverses. Apply that to a weapon and see where it leads you. You can only use a weapon in so many ways.

When you have exhuasted all the "practical" means of applying the weapon you have completed that category.

At least that's the way I look at it. :asian:

So, is that the formula you follow, it looks confusing to me..... or is there an easier way of looking at it?

I use the rule Mr. Parker gave me, which is to examine the forward and reverse as well as the opposites of each movement in Kenpo..... is this the same thing?

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a sec....... I never said it was not legitimate..... just looking for clarification, and supportive material once the term was used.

Okay. My bad

So, is that the formula you follow, it looks confusing to me..... or is there an easier way of looking at it?

How do you confuse a Sun Devil? Put him in a round room and tell him to stand in the corner...:rofl:

I use the rule Mr. Parker gave me, which is to examine the forward and reverse as well as the opposites of each movement in Kenpo..... is this the same thing?

I my own words I guess, yeah...:asian:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Do you learn American Kenpo or a blend? The reason I ask is that "Sensei" is not normally used to refer to your teacher.

American Kenpo. My instructor is Clint Hughes. Our school is part of the CKF, under Sean Kelly and Huk Planas.

Mr. Hughes being called "Sensei" is, as far as I can tell, a leftover from before he got into American Kenpo. You'd have to ask him. I've tried to start a campaign to call him Sifu, but if failed. :shrug: He doesn't suggest any title, just that we be respectful, but calling him Sensei continues anyway.

I usually call him "Sir". :)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
How do you confuse a Sun Devil? Put him in a round room and tell him to stand in the corner...

Oh, now that was lowwwwwwwwwwww

Sun Devils don't get confused...... they just poke you with their Trident!

:rofl:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
That's about the only thing so far that my studnets have bucked me on, so far. They really like the title and do not want to give it up.

Mr. Parker didn't like it only because it was Japanese, since we are American he preferred Mr. Mrs. Ms. etc., to accent His system.

We used to use the Sifu and Chinese terms but I dropped them as well. I do like to teach the different terms for well rounding of the students knowledge.

Latest Discussions