Catapulting

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what this is or how it works in relation to Kenpo?
I hear it is a Jeff Speakman development.
Sounds interesting!

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Roland
Anyone know what this is or how it works in relation to Kenpo?
I hear it is a Jeff Speakman development.
Sounds interesting!

CATAPULT(ING) - Methods that are used to help launch or spring you forward with your action. For example, a "push drag shuffle" can be used to spring forward simultaneously with a punch. Thus, the launching (catapulting) of the lower half of the body, simultaneous with the execution of the punch, greatly enhances your power. CATAPULTING activates BODY MOMENTUM. Refer to PLANE THEORY.

PLANE THEORY - This theory entails utilizing the principles involved in LAUNCHING a jet aircraft off of the deck of an aircraft carrier, and paralleling them with the execution of a punch. The fist is viewed as the aircraft, and the legs as the catapult. When harmoniously employed the two forces (punch and leg shuffle) not only maximizes power, they allow the opposite hand to act as a check. Use of this principle triggers the BLACK DOT FOCUS concept. See CATAPULT(ING).

Read Infinite Insights, it tells quite a bit about this concept, and no, it's not a Jeff Speakman development.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use LAUNCHING or CATAPULTING, not just uppercase weapons, but specifically as Clyde mentioned, the foot from the floor. An example might be in Thrusting Salute. My right heel does not quite touch the floor, but rather springs immediatly into the kick (therefore I do not miss the opportunity for BORROWED FORCE.) This is much faster than the STOPPING then STARTING movement commonly used. Just an interpretation from the mid-80's that works oh so well.

R

roryneil

In his seminars he "bounces" his strikes off his body to add energy and momentum, and talks about energy adding to energy and building ad infinitum (theoretically).

K

Kirk

Originally posted by roryneil
In his seminars he "bounces" his strikes off his body to add energy and momentum, and talks about energy adding to energy and building ad infinitum (theoretically).

We call that "rebounding" in my school. Huk showed us an
alternative way to do Sheilding Hammer, to teach "rebounding".
After the knuckle rake across the nose (or hammer fist to the
bridge of the nose) which we're taught to do in a downward
diagonal, you bounce off your oblique on your left side and
launch it back into the opponent's floating ribs. Then circle your
elbow up to strike the jaw hinge. Then circle your hand up to the
back of the head and put your left hand there as well. Pull back
to strike the mastoid, and knee him in the groin.

R

roryneil

Yes off the side into the ribs was exactly the move I saw.

OP
Roland

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
and from what I have seen demonstrated by someone under Jeff Speakman, it does not fit either one of those definitions really.

It was shown to me as in Delayed Sword, where you block and kick, and with you free hand hold back on your chop for some unknown amount of time, to let energy build up, and the when you do release the chop, it is supposed to be a much stronger strike.

Not my idea, just wanted to know if anyone else had seen or heard this!

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Clyde on this Catapult is the principle of launching you platform of weapons a push drag is a good example.

Try a technique like shielding hammer and launch yourself towards your opponent as you execute the elbow strike, try it on a pad first cos you don't want to lose training partners.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Roland
and from what I have seen demonstrated by someone under Jeff Speakman, it does not fit either one of those definitions really.

It was shown to me as in Delayed Sword, where you block and kick, and with you free hand hold back on your chop for some unknown amount of time, to let energy build up, and the when you do release the chop, it is supposed to be a much stronger strike.

Not my idea, just wanted to know if anyone else had seen or heard this!

Yes, I've seen this too at a Speakman seminar. I don't recall the tech he used then, but when he demonstated it, his hand was in motion while the finger tips of his other hand temporarily hooked the striking hand, which was retracting at the time.

IMO, it would slow the velocity of the stike enough to negate any percieved benefits. Also the idea of both my hands tied up, even for a split second, doesn't sit well with me either.

On a positive note, I did enjoy the seminar and learned quite a bit. Just didn't agree on one thing, which is better than most seminars I've been to.

Latest Discussions