Canis Familiaris - Truly Man's Best Friend

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"We're not just bonded, we're superglued." Yesterday my family and I welcomed a new addition to the family.

His name is Ninja, and he's a Belgian Malinois (resembles a smaller, five times smarter German Shepherd), about 13 weeks old. His name stems from the fact that three of the men of the family are martial artists (Grandfather was an Escrimador, Father a Kyokushin Kai blackbelt, and myself a former boxer and current Wing Chun practicioner) and more aesthetically the black mask-like coloration about his muzzle.

He's a very calm, well behaved dog (his only issue being crapping near my dad's weight lifting bench twice), and he is definitely taking well to our family. His first night wasn't even that hectic. He played for a long time with all of us, and then we put him in his crate. He only whimperred once and then went to sleep.

I think I've found me a bosom four-legged type buddy for the next fifteen or so years. He really took a shining to me when we first visited the breeder two weeks ago, and I was on site when he arrived. The two hour drive I make from Jacksonville to the Orlando area whenever my ship's in port has just gained one more reason for being well worth it (gas prices be damned). Whenever we're at sea my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins will all look after Ninja, and he's really taking a shining to them too. (he about licked my aunt to death today after her long shift at the hospital as an RN).

I know, a bit of a random post, but I'm just such a happy guy right now that I want to share the wealth...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! Pics! Pics!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dogs are great, aren't they? Mine is a mixed/multi-mutt (black Lab mixed with any one - or several - other breeds), but he's a great dog! He's been playing a lot with my neighbor's Golden Retriever puppy, and my neighbor claims that my dog has civilized hers, that her puppy is doing a lot better than another puppy from the same litter that a friend of hers adopted. I got Sable when he was 8 weeks old and weighed 5 1/2 pounds... nearly 5 years later he's my best buddy, happy, healthy, friendly, protective, and huge - so much for the bet's prediction he'd weigh 30-40 pounds; he weighs a very muscular 85!

I agree with Shesulsa - pictures!!!! Here's a couple of Sable to get you started. The first is when I first brought him home; the second is from last summer, when he was squirrel-watching in the back yard.
Puppy3cropped.jpg

Iseesquirrels3.jpg

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dogs are great, aren't they? Mine is a mixed/multi-mutt (black Lab mixed with any one - or several - other breeds), but he's a great dog! He's been playing a lot with my neighbor's Golden Retriever puppy, and my neighbor claims that my dog has civilized hers, that her puppy is doing a lot better than another puppy from the same litter that a friend of hers adopted. I got Sable when he was 8 weeks old and weighed 5 1/2 pounds... nearly 5 years later he's my best buddy, happy, healthy, friendly, protective, and huge - so much for the bet's prediction he'd weigh 30-40 pounds; he weighs a very muscular 85!

I agree with Shesulsa - pictures!!!! Here's a couple of Sable to get you started. The first is when I first brought him home; the second is from last summer, when he was squirrel-watching in the back yard.
Puppy3cropped.jpg

Iseesquirrels3.jpg

That they are, dogs are simply wonderful, they judge you for who YOU are, not your job, your pay, your on the job performance or whether you kissed the boss' *** recently.

I'll get those pictures up here sooner or later. My cousin's a real whiz with the digital camera, but she's a bit slow about sending me pics.

you gotta love dogs.
Treasure your new companion.

No need to tell me twice. He's found a family that he can love, not just in me, but in my parents (who look after him for me when I'm away), grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, so sweet. Gotta love a new puppy.

Every time I see someone with a dog it both makes me hapy and sad. I've had dogs my whole life till I moved here to NY and my landlord barred us from having one.

My uncle bred dogs for the police department before he retired so as a kid I had everything from German Shepherds, Rotweilers and Boxers from his kenels. At one time I had 4 dogs of my own, all slightly crazy since they were the ones the cops could not use for their purposes for one reason or another.

A German shepherd who could never focus on a single task, a rottwieler who I thought was in a coma half the time he was so damned lazy, a boxer who was affraid of everything (no, really, everything, if it made a sound he feared it). Loved my little brood though.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition.
I've had both dogs and cats and love 'em both. Had snakes and a hamster (until the two of them got together :rolleyes: ). Now I'd like a (descented) skunk for a pet... but that'll have to wait until circumstances are better for me.

Yes definitely can't wait for the pics.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dogs are great... we have two, Rumi and Mia, Rumi is my girlfriend's blind assistant dog and Mia is right now being trained to become a therapist. We love them... except when they start play-fighting at 5AM... :D
Pictures! :D

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steve Perry - the writer, not the singer - has always had a dog or two or three. From his blog:

And one time, with both dogs on a leash, a fellow coming from the other direction said, "You know, not everybody likes dogs." as he drew near. To which I replied, "How sad for them."

Takes all kinds, I know, but to be honest, there are some kinds I could do without ...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, its too dark to read.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cannabis Familiaris? Is that the wildwood weed growin up in your backyard?

Just kidding. Got a ton of animals: I am convinced they are the sacred places we leave the innocence our hearts for safekeeping while out taking care of life.

D.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best wishes for your life with Man's Best Friend!

I have a 2 yr old labrador after many years of cats. Quite a change! A very different mentality required to care for him. He's always up for playing at any time of day or night and hands out affection at the slightest hint. He's huge at 93 lbs but very gentle with the boys and cats. I used to be an avowed "cat person", but now I consider myself both a dog and cat person -- he has totally won me over!

Let me tell you I carefully researched dog breeds that get along well with other pets and kids before settling on Labs. It turned out to be the right choice for our family.

your pup sounds beautiful. How are Belgians with children?

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Belgians, at least my particular dog, are wonderful with kids. Mine is a neighborhood favorite of the neighborhood kids.

As for those awaiting photos I'll get the photobucket account started sometime this week.

Latest Discussions