Canada: "US no longer considered a 'Safe' country"

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a surprise ruling the Federal Court of Canada has overturned the "Canada United States Safe Third Country Agreement" in a judgment issued on November 29, 2007.
In a 124-page decision Mr. Justice Michael Phelan ruled that the Safe Third Country Agreement, which came into effect on Dec. 29, 2004 and regulated refugee movement between Canada and the U.S., violates refugee rights and that the United States did not meet the conditions required to be considered a "Safe Country" under the terms of the Agreement.

http://www.rabble.ca/news_full_story.shtml?sh_itm=5764f99b85f84ac086aa782f30e411a6&rXn=1&

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, just because we have secret police, unlawful detainment and secret torture camps.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We used to be considered safe? What were they thinking?

Unfortunately, with freedom comes responsibility and fewer and fewer people are willing to step up to the plate and take responsibility for their actions and own well-being.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Anybody else think that the system in the U.S., any system, really, just seems to feed off what is wrong with the system, constantly. Anything that can go wrong, and all the things that have been put in place because things go wrong, or because they may go wrong, just seems like an never-ending cycle of wrongness, completely counter productive to how things should run in this country. Okay, I know that makes sense to me, not sure if I wrote it out to makes sense to anyone else. But there is something wrong here, and we all seem to be caught up in it. Trapped by it.

I don't blame Canada for their decision.

A--->

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh, just because we have secret police, unlawful detainment and secret torture camps.

So we have a few secret police (or as Ray said not so secret) and a couple of secret torture camps... well not so secret.... and JUST for that they say we're not a Safe country......bunch of sissys. :uhyeah:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, aside from the pervivously stated points (-sighs-), what makes us an un-safe country? And for that matter, does that mean I cann't run to Canada if a draft breaks out?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, aside from the pervivously stated points (-sighs-), what makes us an un-safe country? And for that matter, does that mean I cann't run to Canada if a draft breaks out?

It's in regards to refugee claimants. If, say, Mexicans come through the US to enter Canada. If the US is a safe country, we don't let them in until their case is heard. However because the US would likely deport them back to Mexico, the US is no longer considered a safe country.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically it was around US policys towards terrorism, unlawful detainment, and use of torture. Human rights concerns about refugee safety and treatment.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's in regards to refugee claimants. If, say, Mexicans come through the US to enter Canada. If the US is a safe country, we don't let them in until their case is heard. However because the US would likely deport them back to Mexico, the US is no longer considered a safe country.

I see, I haven't heard about this, so I'm kinda getting this through you guys.
Also, does this mean I cann't run to Canada if a draft breaks out?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

We don't deport Mexicans. Mexicans are welcome in the U.S. like anyone else. We deport criminals who break into the country illegally, forge documentation and try to stay that way, from Mexico, Russia, Poland, etc... but hey, thats a different argument.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

This was attributed to Robin Williams- but alas- it was proven false- - Read it anyway and agree or not- some of it makes sense to me.

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good 'ole' boys", we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East, and the Philippines . They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while .

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!!

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

10) The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

OK, thats the most... well, I cann't say, so you can get the idea.

4) OK, you just screwed my family. We came here from Canada. After fighting in the US Revolution, on OUR side. The only reason we left is because of the South, and thats a story far anouther time. Also, America is literally and figuritively built on IMMAGRANTS! Why would you want to cut out immagrants? Thats like cutting off your whole arm, because of one brocken finger!

5) America loves foreign students! It creates a 'Brain Trust', meaning we have this group called 'Smart People'

7) Were do you propose we get our oil from if not from a OPEC country? Russia? Alaska? Better yet, why don't you stop complainging. England, France, Germany, and the like pay 10 - 20 dollars (US) for one gallon, not one barrel. So really, what are we complaneing about in the first place, we got it GOOD!

10) Thank you for just rewriting the constitution. Which keep in mind mentions no were that we speak English. Thats an assumption that isn't even true. America has no official language. And just becuase you want to continue the idea of the "Stupid American", go ahead. But why not be like Swirtzerland, they have 4 official languages (Spanish, Arabic, and Chinese are three of the most commonly spocken languages in the world, why not require every American learn them?)

Now, before you accuse me of being a Statist (which I'm not), I'll let you know right now I'm a Globalist. Isolation and essentially bullying other countrys ($10 oil threats) will only serve to screw us in the end.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Objective proof that Canada gets gayer by the second... ;)

I thought about objecting to this, then I remembered how in Idiocracy everyone called the main character gay because he didn't talk like a redneck with a IQ of 60 and was incredibly smart by there standards. With that in mind, I will accept your complement :)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
A valid question would be:

" What does this court ruling actually prove.... about the USA, about Canada, about illegal aliens?"

Latest Discussions