Camaro - The number request I get from people

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The number one request I get from guys in general is when is GM going to bring back the Chevrolet Camaro?

From an internal copy of a press release. I have not found any pictures yet.
An Icon Reborn-Chevy Reveals Camaro Concept

GM Internal Communications, January 10, 2006 ....It was the moment that automotive enthusiasts have been clamoring for. Yesterday at the second press day of the 2006 North American International Auto Show, Chevrolet unveiled the Camaro concept; dramatic vehicle that combines a sweeping modern design with the spirit of the classic muscle cars of the 1960's and 70's.
The Camaro concept serves to redefine the nameplate for a new generation of enthusiasts, and embodies the performance and passion that have made first-generation Camaros some of the most sought-after collector cars. Unlike the Camaros of the past, the concept Camaro utilizes the latest technologies, including a fuel-efficient powertrain featuring Active Fuel Management.
In keeping with the Camaro's wide, muscular design, GM's aluminum small block V-8 roars under the hood, cranking out more than 400 horsepower.
“Millions of people of all ages fell in love with the Camaro for all of the right reasons,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president, global design. “The Camaro Concept is designed to have that same broad appeal, with unmistakable style, spirit and performance.”
Though only a show car at this point, the Camaro Concept is intended to explore customer reaction to design and engineering elements that might lead to an all-new version of the Camaro.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I LOVED my Camaro..Purchased it used and ran it till the wheels fell off..Don't know if I would want one redone..If I had the money I'd buy one from those places that specalize in muscle cars..

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oops. Kreth posted pics while I was typing that last one.

WOW! If that's where Chevy is heading with this, I'm all over it when it hits the street. That is, of course, if they don't make it next to financially impossible.

Frank

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the question becomes... next-gen Camaro, or next-gen Mustang?

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
So the question becomes... next-gen Camaro, or next-gen Mustang?

next-generation Camaro...hands down.

I've always been a Chevy fan. They've just been puttin' heinously ugly cars on the street for a long time now (exception Corvette). I've owned two 1969 Camaros in my days. If this thing materializes...WOW!!!

Frank

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Concept pics here.

Jeff,

In production it could look like the ones you linked in.

Here is another link for the complete autoshow and other pictures as well: http://www.automobilemag.com/

PS: If you look for the Saturn "Green Line" this is the Saturn Vue Light Hybrid program. Covers muscle and Hybrids at this show. :D ;)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty car, but the concepts always are. I think Chevy will have to come out with the Z28 a bit quicker than a year ot two later because frankly, they aren't the only one chasing the Mustang. We've just seen the release of the Charger with the highly vaunted Hemi, and next year deputs the '07 Challenger with a Hemi 6.1 rated 425 HP at the rear wheels, priced around 35K. Though much heavier, that's enough power to crush my beloved Mustangs, much as the dreaded GM 5.7 did until they discontinued it in '02. The '07 SVT Cobra will indeed have it's hands full with the 'vette Z06 rated at 600hp (suppassing even the Viper in performance #'s) but that's a small market. I agree throwing another GM in there would be a bad call. Even with that being the case, for Chevy to compete in that market, they're going to need an angle. I don't see 100,000+ sales a year without one and historically have been higher priced than the 'Stangs. I hope they do. Having had 5 of the things, I've always liked them, and certainly always respected them on the line.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Pretty car, but the concepts always are. I think Chevy will have to come out with the Z28 a bit quicker than a year ot two later because frankly, they aren't the only one chasing the Mustang. We've just seen the release of the Charger with the highly vaunted Hemi, and next year deputs the '07 Challenger with a Hemi 6.1 rated 425 HP at the rear wheels, priced around 35K. Though much heavier, that's enough power to crush my beloved Mustangs, much as the dreaded GM 5.7 did until they discontinued it in '02. The '07 SVT Cobra will indeed have it's hands full with the 'vette Z06 rated at 600hp (suppassing even the Viper in performance #'s) but that's a small market. I agree throwing another GM in there would be a bad call. Even with that being the case, for Chevy to compete in that market, they're going to need an angle. I don't see 100,000+ sales a year without one and historically have been higher priced than the 'Stangs. I hope they do. Having had 5 of the things, I've always liked them, and certainly always respected them on the line.

From my experience, GM / Chevy will not have two cars that are "like" the Corvette in numbers. The closest right now is the Cadillac XLR with the North Star Engine that is getting Super Charged for MY 06. Even with this it does not compete with the 600 HP on the "Vette"

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
its puurrdy and all, but it doesn't say "camaro" to me. it kinda reminds me of the charger. still looks good though

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, who am I kidding? By the time I get one of these it will have about 80,000 miles on it, the A/C won't work, and the transmission will be about shot...

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Will we be seeing you in one of these, Mr. Parsons?

I should have my Truck paid off by the earliest they come out, if they decide to make them.

It is built off the existing GTO frame, and I am a Pontiac guy myself, hence my current convertible firebird. I might be looking at one of these, if I get promoted and I have a job with the company in that time frame. ;)

PS:

I have a Car & Driver video clip on this. If anyone wants to see it, send me your e-mail and I will forward it to you.
Thanks

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please see this old thread for other discussion: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23519&highlight=camaro

Also in the news are two articles about this suject.

From The Globe and Mail (Toronto)

By Greg Keenan
March 6, 2006
The Canadian Auto Workers union has agreed to changes in work rules that it hopes will lead to an $800-million investment by General Motors of Canada Ltd. to build the new Chevrolet Camaro, but probably seals the fate of one of the automaker's two car plants in Oshawa , Ont.
. . .

This article talks about the Camaro being on a similiar or same platform as some other GM programs that are or will be built in Oshawa Canada.

From Newsweek March 13th 2006

Detroit Muscles Up; Hold the Obit!
Newsweek

By Keith Naughton

March 13, 2006

GM chief designer Ed Welburn sweeps into his Chevrolet design studio and it's as if he were stepping back in time. On one side of the cavernous white room, designers huddle over a silver retro remake of the Chevy Camaro. A few steps away, stylists scurry around a future Chevy family car that ripples with sinewy muscles from a bygone era. Papering the walls of the studio are photos of classic iron from Detroit 's halcyon postwar years – the chiseled '65 Chevy Impala, the jet-age '65 Ford Galaxie, the long-nosed '65 Plymouth Fury. Welburn slowly walks around the work-in-progress family car, inspecting the latest nips and tucks. Suddenly, he notices an 18-inch clay model on a table nearby that offers an alternative take on the car with a gull-winged rear end. "Oh, my God," the normally soft-spoken designer shouts. "That rear is unbelievable! It links all the way back to the late '50s."
. . .

This article talks up the desire for Muscle cars and how there might be one coming back into the GM line up that has the Camaro Name Plate.

:D

Latest Discussions