Calling all the Men...Why did you start Martial Arts??

What got you started?

• Self Defense

• Friend was involved/I got dragged along by a friend

• Build Confidence

• Fitness/Something Physical to do

• Watched it in a Movie/Demo, thought it looked cool

• Meet new people

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a thread going asking the Ladies of Martial Talk what there initial inspiration was to start Martial Arts....it would be interesting to see if the guys have similar reasons or are comparatively different.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31003

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in Martial Arts for two reasons.

1) The public answer then of to relieve stress.

2) The real answer was to learn how to hurt people without breaking them, and sending them to the hospital.

G

Gary Crawford

I used to live in San Jose,Ca. That's where I did my Kenpo training. We lived in a rough nieghborhood where the hispanic population tended to terrorize us non-hispanics. I also learned spanish for self-defense.

G

Gary Crawford

Technopunk said:
I do it for the Chicks.
I knew it!!! I thought someone would make that reply and I knew it had to be you!! You are my hero!

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, since Technopunk stole my answer I guess I'll have to be truthful.

I do it to stay as close to sane as I'm likely to get. It's moving meditation, and when I'm training regularly I'm happy. When I'm not training, I'm not happy.

Pretty simple.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Well, since Technopunk stole my answer I guess I'll have to be truthful.

But... that is the truth. I do it to impress chicks.

So far it hasnt worked. So I keep learning.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
But... that is the truth. I do it to impress chicks.

So far it hasnt worked. So I keep learning.

So do you find that it impresses girls involved in MA or non MA'ist more..??

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have stated this before, my father was the main and only reason stayed for the love of the Art.
Terry

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
So do you find that it impresses girls involved in MA or non MA'ist more..??

Did you miss the "So far it hasnt worked" part?

Most of the time when they hear that I study martial arts they think its stupid. Even my ex wife used to say to people "He studies some karate thing... he thinks hes a ninja" and then they would laugh. (Notice I said EX-wife...)

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats interesting, most people here are quite impressed by MA'ist.. I have also found that girls that are involved in MA quite fancy Men in MA!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've said this before bt I watch a lot of bad movies and it seems like people are never quite prepared for being teleported back in time to medieval or stone age times or chased by zombies through the woods or attacked by androids on some strange planet somewhere. I figured martial arts skills would be useful to have if or when that ever happens to me

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started Judo at age five because my parents made me. :)

I re-started MA as a teen for self-defence from bullies.

I've stayed for physical fitness and self-improvement and also because it's fun! :partyon:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I've said this before bt I watch a lot of bad movies and it seems like people are never quite prepared for being teleported back in time to medieval or stone age times or chased by zombies through the woods or attacked by androids on some strange planet somewhere. I figured martial arts skills would be useful to have if or when that ever happens to me
:roflmao:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have a lot of vampires and zombies in my hood and I needed to learn how to throw flaming chi balls at them. A few years ago, I learned how to fly and that was really sweet. I've been watching seagulls by Lake Superior. They will help me perfect Divebomb Kata.

"Mine. Mine. Mine."

That will be my kiai.

upnorthkyosa

ps - I started martial arts for a number of reasons other then the above. One is that I wanted to do something physical. Another, is that I like the self defense part. And the third is that it got me lots of chicks.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started because I got my *** kicked by some kid in elementary school. Granted I got a friend out of the deal...the one that kicked the hell out of the kid that beat me. I then started learning martial arts and found I no longer had those issues as nobody wanted to test their luck. I liked that part.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
So if all this MA training is going for the sake of attracting females...and I've been married far longer than I've been training...does this mean that a bunch of what I'm training is really going to waste? I'll have to tell my instructur "hey, can I skip the part of class where we work on this 'chick-magnet' katas? I kinda don't think I need them"

Then again, in most of the scenarios I'm concerned with, there's always some cute slave babes or hot green alien princesses around, and like the say "what happens on Ghrcxy 5, stays on....well actually it will probably wipe out your entire species"

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Did you miss the "So far it hasnt worked" part?

The idea is far better than showing them what an idiot you really are. The girlfriend asked me to "show her some stuff" so I kissed her.

Seemed to work.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started because I got my *** kicked by some kid in elementary school. Granted I got a friend out of the deal...the one that kicked the hell out of the kid that beat me. I then started learning martial arts and found I no longer had those issues as nobody wanted to test their luck. I liked that part.

So you basically are saying you started MA to be anti-social because before that you could make friends by getting your butt kicked.. and you didn't want any more friends?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My interest began when I was 6 and saw a Chuck Norris movie (can't rememeber wich one). Finally talked my parents into letting me start 9 years later. Haven't stopped a minute since (I've slowed down considerably at times...)

I'vce found that as far as impressing chicks...it never worked for me. Then again, it might be the face-made-for-radio that I was born with...

Latest Discussions