Business Casual MA Shoes?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I train barefoot, so how they feel or would do on mats is not something I can answer - but unless you can wear sneakers to work, those are not, in my opinion, business casual - they're sneakers. Good luck finding something that works - sorry I don't have any ideas for you.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on your job. I wear light sneakers or boating shoes/moccasins to train and work in. Some people in our class train in workboots because that's what they wear everyday.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The tread on them looks a little too pointy for using on the mat. You would need something with a more slick sole I would think. Like these.

However those are still outdoor shoes and I'm not sure an instructor would let those on the mat. I know mine wouldn't.

But why do you need one pair for work and training? I guess I'm just not understanding the reason behind the crossover.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But why do you need one pair for work and training? I guess I'm just not understanding the reason behind the crossover.

I would guess, that the above mentioned individual may have a concern about bad-smelling shoes. :)

This way, you can keep your workout shoes separate from your work shoes, and not have to worry about oppressive odors!

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would guess, that the above mentioned individual may have a concern about bad-smelling shoes. :)

This way, you can keep your workout shoes separate from your work shoes, and not have to worry about oppressive odors!

Oh right, I get that. But my impression is that he wanted a pair of shoes to wear to work AND to also train in. One shoe for both activities. Which is why I didn't understand the need for using only one pair of shoes. Why not have training shoes and also a pair of work shoes?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
mashdong,
Those Sketchers look great. I don't know what you mean by business casual though. I don't know if those would be professional in any workplace. Now, out shopping and excersising, those would be great.
I use standard New Balance walking/jogging shoes. I practice at home 100% wearing shoes. I go barefoot in the dojo, but feel far more comfortable in sneakers, which is completely my fault. I have been training for 16 years now and have not trained (at home) barefoot in over 10 years.

AoG

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Laziness, and budget. Most of the time I leave work and go to class afterwards. I would also like slip-ons too. My wrestling shoes are just too time consuming tying the laces and all.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh I see. What about Lock Laces? :) Then maybe you could still wear your wrestling shoes and not worry about lacing them up.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest, they don't look like either business casual shoes or MA shoes but...I don't know your work environment so if you say they'll be fine, I believe you. :)

Since budget is an issue, check with your MA instructor and advise him/her of your plans. The knobby shoes don't look like they would work on the mat. Plus if you are wearing them to work and stuff, the tread is going to collect all kinds of regust that will be shed on the mat. I know my instructor definitely does not allow any "outside" shoes on our mat.

Good luck!

kcast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No idea, its disrespectful to wear shoes in my dojo.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I just went and bought those Skechers and I bought these Pumas for training:

f8_1_bl.JPG

Mine are black and grey. Where you see green on these, are grey on mine.