Bush For Alternative Fuel?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4672216.stm

I guess Bush himself isn't as oil hungry was we thought. Iraq and oil doesn't make much sense either (unless this is an act, in which there is no proof for such a thing). If someone like Bush made a speech on how important it is (despite being oil corporate himself) then perhaps we really should be considering alternative fuel.

Thoughts?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this is a 'Say one thing - Do the Opposite' statement.

Healthy Forests Initiative - means logging companies get to clear old growth

Clear Skies Initiative - allows power generating plants to continue using high polution facilities

I would be cautious of a big financial windfall to agro-corporations (e-85).

If he wanted to impress me, he would call for a 25% increase in the CAFE standards.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gotta say I'm quite skeptical of his flip-flop.

First of all the "addicted to oil" catch-phrase is notoriously liberal - previpiously and vigorously rejected by the GOP, so I find it curious and ironic to hear King George II coining it.

So ... one of several things has occurred: either the oil industry has its talons into renewable energies (not surprising) to prepare for the grand shift, or this is all crap so that the GOP can corrall as many liberal votes on the next Presidential selection ... whoops! ... I mean ... election.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

First of all the "addicted to oil" catch-phrase is notoriously liberal - previpiously and vigorously rejected by the GOP

But it also tends to fit with some conservative principals of isolationism and national sovereignty

either the oil industry has its talons into renewable energies (not surprising)

I think in this country what the oil companies really have is not the raw material but the distribution systems and the techni/industrial infrastructure for energy refinement and distribution. Who do you think is best positioned to take advantage of *any* energy source. Somehow the ethanol has to be processed and get to you. Somehow the solar or wind generated electicity has to get to your house wiring....who better then the ones who already do alomst the same thing?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
President Bush only has two years left. There really isn't enough time for him to really get any worthwhile initiative through. Even if the promise isn't empty, that time limit makes it little more then symbolic.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4672216.stm

I guess Bush himself isn't as oil hungry was we thought. Iraq and oil doesn't make much sense either (unless this is an act, in which there is no proof for such a thing). If someone like Bush made a speech on how important it is (despite being oil corporate himself) then perhaps we really should be considering alternative fuel.

Thoughts?

It'd be more impressive if he hadn't consistently cut funding to alternate energy research. Some of the cuts have been scaled back just this week, but funding levels on AER are still well below the levels that they were before Bush took office.

That, and the whole "The president was using illustrative examples, not offering actual possibilities that we're willing to consider" disclaimer issued shortly after the state of the union address.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
So ... one of several things has occurred: either the oil industry has its talons into renewable energies (not surprising) to prepare for the grand shift, or this is all crap so that the GOP can corrall as many liberal votes on the next Presidential selection ... whoops! ... I mean ... election.

Or the big oil companies finally admitted we are in trouble, fuel-wise.

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
It'd be more impressive if he hadn't consistently cut funding to alternate energy research. Some of the cuts have been scaled back just this week, but funding levels on AER are still well below the levels that they were before Bush took office.

That, and the whole "The president was using illustrative examples, not offering actual possibilities that we're willing to consider" disclaimer issued shortly after the state of the union address.

True, I guess it may seem strange that Bush would speak for alternative fuel despite cutting federal or state funding. However cutting funds doesn't necessarily show he is a hypocrite, because the free market can then take this advice from the last person they would expect to hear it from and start competition for the best alternative fuel. Sometimes things are best left to the market than the state because the state isn't as efficient as competition between multiple alternative fuels businesses/corporations. Speaking out against oil and promoting alternative fuel is the best thing to do.

Technopunk said:
Or the big oil companies finally admitted we are in trouble, fuel-wise.

Yes, good point. If these big oil companies are coming off their high horses (which is hard for any big corporation) then this problem is more serious than we thought!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's actually a surprsingly conservative thing for him to do. Remember that as a basic abstraction, the lberal approach is "X is worth doing so is worth doing or funding by the government as an extension and expression of the will of the people" and the conservative approach is "X is worth doing but the government is not the best agent to be doing it so the best the government should do is to motivate the private sector to do it" So, for a Republican president to simultaneously cut direct government funding for a program and at the same time to be encouraging the private sector to get involved in the same area is actually fairly consistant, idealogically

The part that surprises me is that I don't really think of Bush as much of a conservative-minded Republican.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not sure that cutting funding is a 'conservative' thing to do. The 'Free Market' is not the same as 'Pro Business'.

Businesses will run cost benefit analysis and calculate return on invenstments, and measure those against their next quarterly financial statements to determine the next course of action. I think in all cases, alternative fuels would damange the short term financials of any major company. So, while Exxon Mobil is earning close to a billion dollars profit per week, and could easily invest in alternative energy, depending on the size of the investment, the impact would be negative on the current bottom line.

This is why the government gives corporations like ExxonMobil tax breaks, or corporate welfare, to motivate them to look at the longer term view. Our laws and the financial markets demand corporations look at the short term view.

One example for comparison. Space Travel.

Private Markets have been able to achieve recently, what the Federal Government accomplished in 1961; launching a man into space. Alan Shepard escaped Earth's atmosphere on May 5, 1951. Private Markets accomplished this same task, with Mr. Mike Melvill piloting Space Ship One, on June 21, 2004. Fourty-Three years for private markets to catch up to the Government.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I'll get my squeels and big wheel thing under the hood of the van this week, just kidding even Bush knows we are in trouble and is trying to go out with his best foot forward.
Terry

Latest Discussions