Bullet Proof Shields

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
You have to ask yourself what you are doing living in or visiting the sort of area where wearing a vest is seriously being considered. Vests are for proffessionals who have to visit these areas as part of their careers or for people who are subject to a specific threat (VIPs). Let us be honest, what does the average civilian need a vest for?

Is there a permament state of civil war in the states? Because posts like these are not going to attract tourists. Try relaxing a little and buying less toys. Your lives will be better for it.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A knife doesn't penetrate a vest due to speed, power or anything like that. Ballistic vests are made up of various layers of threads (kevlar, spectra, etc) that disperse the force of a bullet as it goes through the layers. A knife pokes between these "threads" and penetrates. Most vests also have "trauma plates" hard plates that help disperse penetrating force. Those will stop knives. There are also "knife resistant" vests these days too. A standard vest is also much better protection against a knife than nothing. There have been many cases where the vest either stopped a knife or limited its penetration enough to prevent a lethal stab...

A soft plate insert can raise the level of protection of most vests. (Level II to a III or IIIA) Ceramics are primarily for high velocity rifle rounds and are bulky and heavy.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Absolutly..I have also see vest that have a thin Chain mesh that help stop Knife penetration. With the use of the "Cop Killer" Bullets many vest now insert the plates that will slow or stop knifes... My recomendation is if you live in an area where a civilian needs a Vest... MOVE OUT FAST :)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Cop Killer" bullets are a misnomer. I know of no pistol caliber bullets on the market that are "designed" for that purpose. If there were my SWAT team would have them. There are some bullets that are of high enough velocity to penetrate some vests and some others that are of a material that will penetrate a vest under certain conditions (wont spread the brands names here). But are not all that common.

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20Articles/0900GUIC/Guns%20Used%20in%20Crime.htm
What caliber guns do criminals prefer?

In their 1983 study, Wright, Rossi, and Daly asked a sample of felons about the handgun they had most recently acquired. Of the felons sampled--

29% had acquired a .38 caliber handgun

20% had acquired a .357 caliber handgun

16% had acquired a .22 caliber handgun.

Sheley and Wright found that the juveniles inmates in their 1991 sample in four States preferred large caliber, high quality handguns. Just prior to their confinement--

58% owned a revolver, usually a .38 or .357 caliber gun

55% owned a semiautomatic handgun, usually a 9 millimeter or .45 caliber gun

51% owned a sawed-off shotgun

35% owned a military-style automatic or semiautomatic rifle.

Do juvenile offenders use different types of guns than adult offenders?

A study of adult and juvenile offenders by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services found that juvenile offenders were more likely than adults to have carried a semiautomatic pistol at the crime scene (18% versus 7%).

They also were more likely to have carried a revolver (10% versus 7%). The same proportion of adults and juveniles (3%) carried a shotgun or rifle at the crime scene.

Some studies of guns used in homicides provide information about caliber

McGonigal and colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center studied firearm homicides that occurred in Philadelphia, 145 in 1985 and the 324 in 1990. Most of the firearms used in the homicides studied were handguns; 90% in 1985 and 95% in 1990. In both years, revolvers were the predominant type of handgun used, however, the use of semiautomatic pistols increased from 24% in 1985 to 38% in 1990. The caliber of the handguns used also changed:

In Philadelphia, handguns most often used:

In 1985, of 91 homicides

44% .38 caliber revolver
19% .25 caliber pistol
14% .22 caliber revolver
14% .32 caliber revolver
3% 9 mm pistol
2% .357 caliber revolver

In 1990, of 204 homicides

23% 9 mm pistol
18% .38 caliber revolver
16% .357 caliber revolver
16% .22 caliber revolver
10% .32 caliber revolver

The Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services studied 844 homicides that occurred in 18 jurisdictions from 1989 through 1991. Firearms were identified as the murder weapon in 600 cases. Over 70% of the firearms used were handguns. Of those handguns where the caliber and firing action could be identified, 19% were a .38 caliber revolver, 10% were .22 caliber revolvers, and 9% were 9 millimeter semiautomatic pistols.

The Hawaii Department of the Attorney General, Crime Prevention Division, studied 59 firearms-related homicides in Honolulu from 1988 to 1992. Handguns were used in 48 homicides (over 80%) including 11 handguns of 9 millimeter caliber, 10 of .357 caliber, 10 of .38 caliber, and 5 of .25 caliber.

What caliber guns are used in the killings of law enforcement officers?

From 1982 to 1993, of the 687 officers who were killed by firearms other than their own guns, more were killed by .38 caliber handguns than by any other type of weapon.

Percent of law enforcement officers killed with a firearm

Type of firearm:
.38 caliber handgun 25.2%

.357 Magnum handgun 12.1%

9 millimeter handgun 9.5%

12 gauge shotgun 7.4%

.22 caliber handgun 5.4%

.22 caliber rifle 4.4%
Note that ALL handguns mentioned are well within the protective range of a simple Level IIA ballistic vest.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell a IIA can stop buckshot and a IIIA can stop slugs. Not that Id want to be inside one when it happened....

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Any others on calibers with penetration and/or muzzle velocity?
The Remington website is a great resource for checking/comparing ballistics of different calibers with various loads. There are tables for Rifle, Handgun, Shotshell, and Rimfire. Have fun :D

T

TonyM.

"cop killer" (my Lord I hate that phrase) bullets are teflon coated. Before anyone gets too exited about shields they should check out the box-o-truth thread in the firearms section.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The shields the police use do work..but they are specialized pieces of equipment.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes there are puncture resistant vests...and even if not, they will protect quite nicely against a slashing attack from an edged weapon...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe one could be purchased, however why someone would want to spend that kind of money is beyond me. The latest things are "ballistic blankets" shields of soft armor that can be used to make walls/rooms/a la the "shield wall" of Ancient Roman fame....

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I believe one could be purchased, however why someone would want to spend that kind of money is beyond me. The latest things are "ballistic blankets" shields of soft armor that can be used to make walls/rooms/a la the "shield wall" of Ancient Roman fame....
Sorry, I didnt mean to state that they could not be had. But the expense of it. Might as well invest in a vest.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know for a fact that standard kevlar will stop a broken beer bottle. Pa took one in the back about 10 odd years ago. Didn't even feel it. Mr. Bottle wished he hadn't. The brothers were with Pa that night.
icon12.gif

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I know for a fact that standard kevlar will stop a broken beer bottle. Pa took one in the back about 10 odd years ago. Didn't even feel it. Mr. Bottle wished he hadn't. The brothers were with Pa that night.
icon12.gif
Wuz Daisey wif 'em or yonder on th' utter side of town?

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In England the shield would make sense as you could use it to protect yourself from an unexpected downpour.