Boxing Then vs Now

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience you are mad. Worked with a RAF current. Worked with a Squaddie, You are all mad :)

Shh I was trying to keep that quiet! I was in the RAF, my other half was in the RAF Regiment, that makes him madder than me lol.

Talking of boxers, the Lancs Regt up here asked Amir Khan to come and visit them, he said no he didn't want to upset his Muslim supporters. :(

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shh I was trying to keep that quiet! I was in the RAF, my other half was in the RAF Regiment, that makes him madder than me lol.

Talking of boxers, the Lancs Regt up here asked Amir Khan to come and visit them, he said no he didn't want to upset his Muslim supporters. :(

No, you are all mad :) mind you, I would venture that you would have liked to met my Granddad, he was just mental, but had a presence. Yeah he boxed too, that is where my passion comes from. Amir Khan, never been sure of him.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Calling Mr. Lawson! if anyone can, could you ask him nicely to come and talk to us on this? His input would be invaluable.
What can I say? Tony has it exactly right. Throws, trips, standing grappling, etc. All were allowed. Under some early rule sets even kicking was technically legal, though it wasn't actually done cuz, well... BOXING! (and the fans might crash the ring and beat you to death - no, I'm not exaggerating).

The inclusion of throws had a tendency to push range out. There really was not "boxing range" as we think of it today. It was all "out-fighting" range. In-fighting would happen but it tended to be short and clinch happened quickly. Punch from range -> crash distance -> clinch -> throw.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Unless you were good at range fighting and could convince your opponent to stay that range (which did happen), or if you could knock him down as he enters into clinch range.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On a side note, though rare, it wasn't unheard of for women to box as well in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

From Handbook to Boxing by Owen Swift, 1840,

"1793 Aug. -- Two females, 45 min. (with their husbands for seconds). Chelmsford, Essex."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note, though rare, it wasn't unheard of for women to box as well in the 18th and 19th Centuries.

From Handbook to Boxing by Owen Swift, 1840,

"1793 Aug. -- Two females, 45 min. (with their husbands for seconds). Chelmsford, Essex."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Yeah my home City is a bit is a bit eclectic. Thanks for posting, I will look that up.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah my home City is a bit is a bit eclectic. Thanks for posting, I will look that up.
Handbook to Boxing by Owen Swift, 1840,
"1822 Jan. 30. Evans and Coulthorpe, 40 rounds; £20 and a woman (drawn). Harrow-road."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instead of rounds, you had falls - the action goes until one fighter gets knocked down or thrown. Once that happens, they have a limited time to stand back up and toe the line or else lose the match.
"1790 Aug. 30. Big Ben and Hooper, 210 min., 180 rounds, £50 (drawn). Near Newbury."
"1822 Feb. 28. Acton beat Kendrick, 35 min., 32 rounds; 25 guineas. Moulsey Hurst."
"1822 July 23. Bill Hull beat Sampson, 99 min., 94 rounds; £50. Near Warwick."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"1822 Jan. 30. Evans and Coulthorpe, 40 rounds; £20 and a woman (drawn). Harrow-road."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Harrow Road in Chelsea? I know Harrow Way, Great Baddow just of the Essex Yeomanry Way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the publication date is 1840 so there may have been a few changes between then and now. ;) <ducking>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Well, the publication date is 1840 so there may have been a few changes between then and now. ;) <ducking>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

No worries. Bartitsu I would to see some in action. There are some links to London, have you any knowledge of that?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No worries. Bartitsu I would to see some in action. There are some links to London, have you any knowledge of that?
I've met a few from that side of the Ocean. Not sure if they're practicing in London. I've been told it's a pretty big city. ;)

The folks I've met seemed to be competent.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions