Board Holders

sawyer280769

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone built there own board holder or can tell me where I can buy one? Thanks

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before my mates 1st gup test we tried to make one so he could practice flying sidekick at home without someone to hold the board. We got his work bench which had a vice attached and raised the bench and put a piece of timber in the vice to give our little idea a test. Anyway, he came running in from a bout 15 metres away and jumped up and launched himself toward the timber. As his foot hit the timber, it broke and the jagged edge of the timber cut him up his leg and came within a whisker of severing one of his testicles as his rear leg went under the bench and pulled the whole contraption on top of him with his leg still wedged under the table. It is still one of the funniest things Ive ever seen. So my advice is dont use a workbench with a vice attached:)

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found an interesting one at a school I visited. No good for flying kicks, or much of anything besides very basic straight techniques. It was basically two 2"x6" boards with 1/2" standoffs at top and bottom and angle iron brackets with holes for two long pins. This slid along a track mounted to the wall. They used an elastic cord at the top and bottom of the board to hold it to the rig. Unfortunatel, it was mounted to a cinder block wall, and the bolts at the top of the track tore out of the wall.

Something like this (below). If you can picture it, the wall is at far left and the board at far right.
|
|
|-|-|
| | |
|-|-|
|
|

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Before my mates 1st gup test we tried to make one so he could practice flying sidekick at home without someone to hold the board. We got his work bench which had a vice attached and raised the bench and put a piece of timber in the vice to give our little idea a test. Anyway, he came running in from a bout 15 metres away and jumped up and launched himself toward the timber. As his foot hit the timber, it broke and the jagged edge of the timber cut him up his leg and came within a whisker of severing one of his testicles as his rear leg went under the bench and pulled the whole contraption on top of him with his leg still wedged under the table. It is still one of the funniest things Ive ever seen. So my advice is dont use a workbench with a vice attached:)

Classic "we can laugh about it now" story. Thanks

Steven Craig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ralph what were you and your mate thinking... A two or three L plastic milk bottle hanging from the clothes line or from a beam with water in it works a treat as a target, bet Ralph's mate would have liked to have known that before he broke his vice.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ralph what were you and your mate thinking... A two or three L plastic milk bottle hanging from the clothes line or from a beam with water in it works a treat as a target, bet Ralph's mate would have liked to have known that before he broke his vice.
Yes, but a plastic milk bottle provides far less entertainment:)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
A two or three L plastic milk bottle hanging from the clothes line or from a beam with water in it works a treat as a target

the water doesn't leak out if you kick it hard? Do you duct tape the cover down? I want to try this.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
the water doesn't leak out if you kick it hard? Do you duct tape the cover down? I want to try this.
I have tried this method and its very good. You can adjust the rope to hang at whatever height you wish and you'd be surprised how hard you have to kick it to 'pop' the bottle. For learning new kicks where you want some sort of a target to hit but dont want something as big as a kick bag (where you can feel you hit it but have no idea where, particularly when learning turning/spinning kicks) then this is a good idea. It can also be used sitting on the ground to practice down spinning kicks. Its excellent for kids because there is no way they will break the bottle and it offers just enough resistence that they know they have hit the target correctly.

Steven Craig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You do go through a couple of milk bottles, but you would be surprised at how long they last. Worth a try and is a reusable target in comparison to wooden boards.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
about how long does one of those things last Earl?

If you are referring to the Master Breaker, they last indefinitely. I am not sure if I have seen any failures in the 2 decades or so that we have been using them. There may have been an issue where a screwed and glued jooint seperated and it was a simple repair.

We use them for practice with rebreakables (can no longer find the type we used but they have the same dimensions as standard "1 x 12" pine boards) so, between practice, testings etc. they have literaly stood up to thousands of breaks with as many as 7 boards.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you fill the plastic bottle to the top or do you leave some air in it?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that your invention?

I Would not call it that. After several incarnations and Variations a student at my school built one pretty much as shown.

I developed this wall mounting system. I then made the diagrams / instructions. t has stood the test of time for relative cost, ease of assembly and durability.

It is a basic box beam design. So, like inventing the wheel and discovering fire there are likely similar designs develoed independantly.

I saw a vido of one where the bottom drops down after a break which prevents someone who doesn't retract their foot after a flying breal from having their leg hang up and having a bad fall. Not sure how they did that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I Would not call it that. After several incarnations and Variations a student at my school built one pretty much as shown. I developed this wall mounting system. I then made the diagrams / instructions. t has stood the test of time for relative cost, ease of assembly and durability.

I don't have that type of mechanical/engineering background or interest, so I am always interested when someone else invents something or has some sort of new homemade training equipment. I can invent drills, but not equipment.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have these where I train, except they are attached to the heavy bags which makes them kinda tilt down. I really don't like them for hand techniques. You may wanna take a look at it for some ideas.

http://www.breakingboardholder.com/