Black pants with white top in TKD circles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are segments of TKD folks who wear black dobok pants & white dobok tops for their BB ranks. I belong to such a group, but there are many groups that also wear this combination. It seems to be an as much of an "old school" thing as any other thing I've seen in TKD. Can anyone tell me an origin of this? I'm sure I'll get different answers. Actually, I expect to. I've never heard a reasoning behind it. I've seen it from ITF-style folks, Kukki-TKD folks, & independent folks as well.

Thanks in advance!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
in my first school we could do that as Black Belts. White was low ranks. At Brown we could wear all black, and at BB we could mix and match and wear black collared tops.

No reason other than looked cool and gave another goal to aim for... I remember the day I found out I passed my Brown belt test I bought my first Black Dobuk. 12 oz duct canvis, faded so nice..... ahhhh memories...

I know that our instructor only did it for an incentive to us and to help sell more uniforms. You know the students who buy one uniform and wear it for 5 years... yellow raggedy and stinking!!!!!!!! this helped switch it up!

phfman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the origin but we also wore this combination in Norris's Tang Soo Do classes in the 70's. Our pants were black but our tops were white with black trim. Black belts only.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uniforms just as many other things are mostly preference of the school owner or master instructor. Our school owner is now thinking of changing what instructors where to differentiate instructors from students. He is also thinking of having master instructors wear something different than lower ranked instructors.

He has not decided on a color scheme as of yet though, nor if we will where different type patches or not.

The black and white just seem to be a nice contrast and is also most likely the least expensive to purchase.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know the origin but we also wore this combination in Norris's Tang Soo Do classes in the 70's. Our pants were black but our tops were white with black trim. Black belts only.

I remember that from his film, "A Force of One." A black belt thing in every school where I've seen it. Maybe it is as simple as "it looks cool." I'll buy that!

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't say what the origin is, but I really like how the white top/black pants look. We did it at the ITF style school I trained at in the 80's, just an option for the black belts to wear something different. My instructor gave me a pair of black pants when I promoted to black belt. They still fit (barely!). :)

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Deninetively that combo rocks, however in my dojang you can wear what ever you want but only white dobok with the vneck trim the color of the belt.I've been told 3rd dan and above can wear the open top (karate style jacket) with black trims.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are segments of TKD folks who wear black dobok pants & white dobok tops for their BB ranks. I belong to such a group, but there are many groups that also wear this combination. It seems to be an as much of an "old school" thing as any other thing I've seen in TKD. Can anyone tell me an origin of this? I'm sure I'll get different answers. Actually, I expect to. I've never heard a reasoning behind it. I've seen it from ITF-style folks, Kukki-TKD folks, & independent folks as well.

Thanks in advance!

That was the color scheme in my Jhoon Rhee school. We were told wearing both black and white symbolized Um/Yang (actually we used the Chinese words Yin/Yang), that a black belt had learned both hardness and softness in character and body.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school introduced black uniforms for black belt class only back in the 90's as literally hundreds of students would be at the one class so they moved it to a rugby league stadium and they would all train on the field and would get grass stains and mud on the uniforms so the black uniforms were introduced. Our GM was very strict about the fact that the black uniform could only be worn at these classes and nowhere else. These days (with the GM semi retired) my instructor lets us wear any combo we like (except for gradings, demos etc) and many people are wearing the black pants with the white top as its easier to keep the good white pants stain free for gradings etc.

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Uniforms just as many other things are mostly preference of the school owner or master instructor. Our school owner is now thinking of changing what instructors where to differentiate instructors from students. He is also thinking of having master instructors wear something different than lower ranked instructors.

Doesn't the belt differentiate what rank the instructor is?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

There is a trend among schools over the last year to have instructors dress differently than students. I have heard this discussed many times. Our original school went that route 3 years ago. I know that the idea came from visiting other schools and sharing best practices. Certainly something that people are trying.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What Gorilla said and many people not familiar with Martial Arts will not know what the belts mean by first glance. Looking in a window and seeing 25 people all doing the same thing but then seeing only one in a different color uni will instantly tell you who the main guy is.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
in my first school we could do that as Black Belts. White was low ranks. At Brown we could wear all black, and at BB we could mix and match and wear black collared tops...

Pretty much that was the protocol at my dojang. It's all about where you train, and your saubumnim's way running his dojang. At my dojang all gup belts are required to wear only the all white dobok. When you advanced to dan level you could wear all black, or mix and match. Anyway the white top and black bottoms is a cool look IMHO ...

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our school having a combination of Hapkido and TKD in the same class. TKD wear white. Hapkido wear black. However if people mix and match it is fine. However one of the guys mixes Black pants with a White Top with tribal graphics on it. (He cops the jokes for it - in good humor of course).

Nigel our instructor seems to change between a few diff styles. However never exactly the same as the rest of us. Plain as well as Diamond patterns. Somes all one color. Sometimes Black with White.

Must be a trend to mix match at the moment.

Raistlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my school we wear black pants when we become an instructor. It is not automatic as soon as you become a black belt. You have to have teaching responsibilities. When you receive a kyo sa title you receive your black pants.