Birth of a new species

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cryo talking *****?! Certainly not! ;) This discussion is one that's been going on for a very long time by folks much more informed on the subject than most of us on this board. Omar and Cryo are simply having a bit of back and forth (politely and well thought out, BTW) on the subject of this particular bit of "evolution". Creationism requires a great deal of faith to be believed. Evolution, while not requiring a great deal of faith, isn't completely understood so, IMO, actually requires a bit of faith as well. It just requires faith in a "god" called science. It's ALL speculation at one level or another. Baiting with arguments against the statistics used in an incredibly generalized statement isn't going to add to further the conversation.

Now, Cryo responded to Omar that maybe he wasn't talking about the Christian god in his statement about creationism. That's an interesting side topic here. All religions have a creation theory so we could make an entire new thread on the different theories of different religions. Aliens seeded the planet? Another good discussion. Well, I've gone from well thought out congratulations of Omar and Cryo for a lively but polite debate to completely rambling so I'll close now.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
If your my "statistical argument" as you put it is in relationship to those odds... with your degree, I would think you can understand they are not calculable without more data... .

Exactly, I have no idea how you would model the probability of life arising, but since you mentioned the "odds" against it, which are a mathematical term, I assumed you had done a calculation.

I can calculate the "odds" of winning the lottery, or the "odds" that a poll is accurate given the sample size....

Here is another example of speciation observed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly, I have no idea how you would model the probability of life arising, but since you mentioned the "odds" against it, which are a mathematical term, I assumed you had done a calculation.

I can calculate the "odds" of winning the lottery, or the "odds" that a poll is accurate given the sample size....

Here is another example of speciation observed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

I meant it more as a figure of speech, the way you'd say "Man, there are like 100 other guys here, the odds that chick will go out with me are astronomical"