Bias? In the Media?? Surely you jest.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
All satire is cutting. I personally like satire and think it's funny, but you can't have a double standard. It's either got to be accepted 100% or not 100%. The rules must apply across the board in order to be fair.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When there is a racist cartoon of Secretary of State Rice we hear little about it.
A cartoon of the Obamas in a democratically biased magazine, oh the horror.

Honestly, I didn't read anything racist in that. If the Ricebird were saying something like "Yisah'", then maybe, but as is, the artist's sattire didn't have anything to do with Rice's race.

Yes it was, in my opinion, although there was at least a nice allusion to the "Silent Scream" painting in McCain's face. Reading the article sheds some light on the true intent of the picture, but then again, I understand the same can be said for the controversial New Yorker cover.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
When there is a cartoon of Mohammed, Muslims riot.

What does that have to do with the media? The media didn't start the riots.

When there is a racist cartoon of Secretary of State Rice we hear little about it.

That's because it wasn't racist. Although I'm glad that NOW you are so worried about racial sensitivity. How do you compare your concern here with your stated opinion that slavery has been a positive thing for the black community?

A cartoon of the Obamas in a democratically biased magazine, oh the horror.

Again, what does this have to do with the media? Leftist blogs were leading the charge on this one, not CNN or Fox News.

A cartoon of John McCain, belittling his captivity as a POW AND including racist caricatures?
Over the line?

Again, what does this have to do with the media? By and large, the media reports on outrage, they don't create it. Most news anchors wouldn't lose their equanimity if they were confronted with the most outrageously offensive thing possible.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does that have to do with the media?

I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably due to the fact that it's the "media" that gives these cartoons such wide exposure. Without that, there wouldn't be enough folks to see them to start a riot. Perhaps "responsibility" would be a better word.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably due to the fact that it's the "media" that gives these cartoons such wide exposure. Without that, there wouldn't be enough folks to see them to start a riot. Perhaps "responsibility" would be a better word.

Sure, but I don't see how that implies bias either way.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps it's their "bias" that leads to their "irresponsibility"?

I don't see how. I could be persuaded that their "greed" or more kindly their "desire to keep their jobs" have led to reporting on everything they think will get viewers, irresponsible or not.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Papers choose what cartoons they run. The local lib rag is all that Tom Toles trash. Seems like an opinion to me. That and the letters from the editor are all blatantly left. <---

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Excellent job evading the issue there, Don. You almost made it seem relevant.

The reason I didn't think the first Rice cartoon was racist was that her being black wasn't what the artist was making fun of. Certainly the fact that she's one of the Bush Administration's warhawks and she's at the Smirking Chimp's beck and call, but not her race. The only allusion to race was the color of the Ricebird's face and, well, if she were of another race, the drawing would have reflected that.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Excellent job evading the issue there, Don. You almost made it seem relevant.

The reason I didn't think the first Rice cartoon was racist was that her being black wasn't what the artist was making fun of. Certainly the fact that she's one of the Bush Administration's warhawks and she's at the Smirking Chimp's beck and call, but not her race. The only allusion to race was the color of the Ricebird's face and, well, if she were of another race, the drawing would have reflected that.
So, then, you're choosing to overlook the 'black people have big lips' stereotype and the outsize lips on the bird? OK, good to know.
Are you claiming the second is also not racist? Margaret Mitchell might not agree... The original line was, "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies." Butterfly McQueen might also beg to differ...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, then, you're choosing to overlook the 'black people have big lips' stereotype and the outsize lips on the bird? OK, good to know.

Might be that she has big lips herself....and some unfortunate choices in lip gloss color......

Attachments

• $condoleeza-rice-2008-presidential-election-polls.jpg
    $condoleeza-rice-2008-presidential-election-polls.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 118

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really don't think the Rice cartoon was racist. Rice happens to have a big mouth and large, funny-looking teeth. To me, she's not a good looking woman, and it has nothing to do with her race. (Good taste in clothes, though).

Did you ever see some of the caricatures of former Attorney General Janet Reno? John Kerry? How about Al Sharpton?

Are the caricatures of Sharpton "racist" because they portray a fat guy with brown skin with a ridiculous hairdo? Or do they depict a fat guy with brown skin and a ridiculous hairdo...because that happens to be the way he looks?

I personally think the Rolling Stone cartoon was in poor taste. So?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you claiming the second is also not racist? Margaret Mitchell might not agree... The original line was, "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies." Butterfly McQueen might also beg to differ...

I'm not claiming anything about the 2nd comic because it is, quite frankly, irrelevant. I said that I didn't find the first comic racist, so you pull a blatantly racist strip and try this childish "I'll-bet-you-think-this-isn't-too" crap. Tangentle.

As for the first cartoon, well, elder999 and Phoenix44 summed that up quite nicely.

Latest Discussions