Blackbelt

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you still a Blackbelt after you give up the Martial Arts ( for lets say 10 years ). What I guess I am trying to say is should someone still consider themselves a blackbelt after not training for a extended period of time

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m not sure about this one, I’m not anywhere near my first BB but I know what I have put in so far, I can imagine once you get your BB it would be hard to give it up.

At our Dojo there are a couple of guys that are BB, but they haven’t trained in so long they have decided to come back and start again (from White Belt). They do not wear their BB Gi (which is thier choice) and only the people that have been around for a while know they are BB, all the beginners’ just think they are really good.

Also There is a guy in my class who earnt a Green belt about 15 yrs ago, (at a different school) when he decided to get back into training he had the choice of staying a green belt and joining that class or starting again. He decided to start again as a white belt and is glad he did.

So I think I depends on whether you are going back to training after a long time or if you just get to keep the title even thou you aren’t training.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't give up martial arts, but I gave up my black belt. Am I still a martial artist? :D

Do you hold army rank after leaving the army?

Do you keep your university degree after you stop working in that field?

Does it really make a difference?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Andrew Green said:
I didn't give up martial arts, but I gave up my black belt. Am I still a martial artist? :D
Hope you dont mind me asking, did you earn a BB and then give it up while you were still training in that art?

What was the reason??
Not really, I was teaching.

Gave up my belt, and all the adult members belts in one big swoop

Also gave up the style name, and restrictions.

Reason - Belts cause more trouble then they are worth and I don't think adults should need that sort of carrot in front of there nose, or the heirarchy of a rank system.

Result - Everyone is having much more fun and progressing much better.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how long have you been training with out belts.

Do you have anything similar to grading? If not how do you keep track of people's progress?

Have you found that your member’s just didn’t need the recognition that rank give's you, or do you recognise people in different ways.

Have you found that people still strive to be better when they dont have a 'BELT RANK" to aim towards?
I find this very interesting, as I have never been in a club that does not rank by belts.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
So how long have you been training with out belts.

I guess it started about 2 years ago. Did a class with and a class without them.

About a year ago there where no belts left in the adult classes at all.

Do you have anything similar to grading? If not how do you keep track of people's progress?
No

People progress on there own, it shows up on the mat.

Have you found that your member’s just didn’t need the recognition that rank give's you, or do you recognise people in different ways.
Not only didn't need it, but where held back because of it.

Have you found that people still strive to be better when they dont have a 'BELT RANK" to aim towards?
Much more so

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
That’s really interesting.

Do you think that across the board belt ranks hold us back, or would this apply more to MMA/Competitive Martial Arts??

Would you have some recognition for when some one reaches a high level/Instructor etc?

Thanks for your insite.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
That’s really interesting.

Do you think that across the board belt ranks hold us back, or would this apply more to MMA/Competitive Martial Arts??

Would you have some recognition for when some one reaches a high level/Instructor etc?

Thanks for your insite.
Across the board - Most definately. and not just in martial arts.

Other recognition - nothing formal, they just start being more helpful, and eventually running classes/

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is great you have taken a step in a differnt direction and had success. What was the reaction from your students when you first changed your approach to teaching?

Im only a low grade but I must admit I am quite attached to my belt, holds my Gi on well too :rolleyes:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I think it is great you have taken a step in a differnt direction and had success. What was the reaction from your students when you first changed your approach to teaching?

Im only a low grade but I must admit I am quite attached to my belt, holds my Gi on well too :rolleyes:
A few opposed it, a few weren't sure about it, and most where supportive. This wasn't a shoke to anyone, it was a gradual thing.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a good discussion. We don't use belts, but we do use a rank system, so pretty much the same intent. I've recently realized that no matter what "rank" I hold, there is still so much to learn, so many ways I could improve what I'm already doing. I can see a good case for tossing rank altogether, save apprentice instructor, and full instructor. I don't see much value in ranking beneath that. FYI - I would qualify for neither of those at this point.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
save apprentice instructor, and full instructor. I don't see much value in ranking beneath that.
I would consider those rolls, not ranks.

You are them if you fill them, no need for anything beyond that.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew I would be interested to know if the people that were not to keen on the change were low or higher ranks.

I’m wondering because do you think that when you first start out and are not at the 'obsessed with MA stage' so many of us are at, do belts help keep people interested long enough to become hooked??

Once you have been involved for a while I can see how they are not so important, its all about your own personal journey.

But as I said before I am a low rank, and even though I am in it for life I do like the idea of obtaining a BB, the achievement and recognition of it.

I have seen two BB Gradings at our Dojo the year I have been training there and both brought me to tears, it was touching to see someone reach a goal they have been working towards for close to 5 years, plus the actual grading takes you past the physical, and it is share determination and will power that gets them through. Very Inspiring

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:

Sarah,

I train in Andrew's school...have for almost three years now. I was there back when he wore a belt and so did I. I reached the rank of blue belt and my oldest daughter ranked as purple.

The change was gradual and I would have to say successful. I personally have changed the focus of my training. Before I thought "okay, If I do ABC and D I will get my next level" I don't think that way anymore. I work on different aspects. Each class is set up to work different techniques. We learn a few ways to use these techniques and then try to implement them into a sparring situation. You learn to self grade... to work on what you are weak at. The atmosphere of the school has changed too. No one worries about what belt they are at. No more "well I learned that why didn't I get this" I saw a lot of pettiness and now it is gone. We are there to help each other out. To share our strengths and learn from our weaknesses. We have different people at different levels of knowledge challenging each other. The one that gives AG (andrew) the most challenge happens to be only 100 pounds :D (my daughter) We have people that are there for different reasons, some want to fight competitively some day, some for the exercise and some for both.

I was skeptical at first. Now I am happy with the changes and glad I am part of it.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nalia said:
Sarah,

I train in Andrew's school...have for almost three years now. I was there back when he wore a belt and so did I. I reached the rank of blue belt and my oldest daughter ranked as purple.

The change was gradual and I would have to say successful. I personally have changed the focus of my training. Before I thought "okay, If I do ABC and D I will get my next level" I don't think that way anymore. I work on different aspects. Each class is set up to work different techniques. We learn a few ways to use these techniques and then try to implement them into a sparring situation. You learn to self grade... to work on what you are weak at. The atmosphere of the school has changed too. No one worries about what belt they are at. No more "well I learned that why didn't I get this" I saw a lot of pettiness and now it is gone. We are there to help each other out. To share our strengths and learn from our weaknesses. We have different people at different levels of knowledge challenging each other. The one that gives AG (andrew) the most challenge happens to be only 100 pounds :D (my daughter) We have people that are there for different reasons, some want to fight competitively some day, some for the exercise and some for both.

I was skeptical at first. Now I am happy with the changes and glad I am part of it.
You make some fantastic points. Thanks

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beginners are the easiest as they have not been programmed into one way of thinking yet.

I think it changes who stays though. The ones that are in it only for superficial reasons tend to go somewhere else. The ones that are in it for the long haul to have fun and push themselves seem to prefer it.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Beginners are the easiest as they have not been programmed into one way of thinking yet.

I think it changes who stays though. The ones that are in it only for superficial reasons tend to go somewhere else. The ones that are in it for the long haul to have fun and push themselves seem to prefer it.
Excellent...Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this one.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless your Instructor revokes your black belt for some reason, once you make black belt you will always be black belt. Even if you never practice or set foot in a dojang again.
Once you graduate high school, you are always a high school graduate even if you never put it to use.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Unless your Instructor revokes your black belt for some reason, once you make black belt you will always be black belt. Even if you never practice or set foot in a dojang again.
Once you graduate high school, you are always a high school graduate even if you never put it to use.
Belts cannot be revoked.

In fact there is really nothing to stop a person from promoting themself, in fact it gets done all the time.

Latest Discussions