Best gun for a female?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my country I will never probably ever see the day that I could have a CCW permit but, I am curious.

What would you consider a good pistol for a female to carry for self defense and why? It is the size, lack of recoil, easy reload?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's really a subjective question. It would depend on the size of your hand, the level of recoil with which you are comfortable, etc. Off the top of my head, I'd reccomend either a small to medium frame revolver chambered in .357 magnum (.38 special loads can be used for reduced recoil if necessary). Something like a Ruger SP-101 or a 3" S&W K-frame. Other good options include midsize Glocks (19, 23, etc.). From talking to people on the internet, it seems that many women like the 1911 platform. Even though the .45 has a little more recoil than 9mm or .40 S&W, the 1911 is comfortable in the hand and has enough "heft" to make the recoil more than manageable.

All of the models I mentioned are of excellent quality so reliability is really not a concern. You'll notice that most of them are somewhat "hefty" guns. Many women (or the men that buy the gun for them) make the mistake of buying a tiny little snubnose or a small auto. The problem with these types of guns is that they require a lot more skill to shoot them accurately and they have more recoil than their larger counterparts.

As far as not being able to carry in Canada...you could always move down here. We'll let you have real guns so you wouldn't have to play with an air-rifle all the time :rofl: :D

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
That's really a subjective question. It would depend on the size of your hand, the level of recoil with which you are comfortable, etc. Off the top of my head, I'd reccomend either a small to medium frame revolver chambered in .357 magnum (.38 special loads can be used for reduced recoil if necessary). Something like a Ruger SP-101 or a 3" S&W K-frame. Other good options include midsize Glocks (19, 23, etc.). From talking to people on the internet, it seems that many women like the 1911 platform. Even though the .45 has a little more recoil than 9mm or .40 S&W, the 1911 is comfortable in the hand and has enough "heft" to make the recoil more than manageable.

All of the models I mentioned are of excellent quality so reliability is really not a concern. You'll notice that most of them are somewhat "hefty" guns. Many women (or the men that buy the gun for them) make the mistake of buying a tiny little snubnose or a small auto. The problem with these types of guns is that they require a lot more skill to shoot them accurately and they have more recoil than their larger counterparts.

As far as not being able to carry in Canada...you could always move down here. We'll let you have real guns so you wouldn't have to play with an air-rifle all the time :rofl: :D

:rofl: :rofl:

I have shot the .357 many times before (my husband had one) however, his was cutomized for target shooting. It was really heavy. I couldn't imagine carrying one for self defense, but maybe it is what you get used to.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
:rofl: :rofl:

I have shot the .357 many times before (my husband had one) however, his was cutomized for target shooting. It was really heavy. I couldn't imagine carrying one for self defense, but maybe it is what you get used to.
Well you could always try the ".44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and it would blow your head clean off. " :lol2:

I've a friend whom with her husband bought at first a Ruger P-89 (9mm) and both found it too large for their hands. So they down sized to a Glock 7 (?) and found it just right. While they're pricey they're worth it. Among some of the best firearms in the world.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try the Sig P-232 .380..Small and compact..The Smith and Wesson (hammerless) Chiefs Special in.38 is also a nice firearm..

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say what fits your hand, is of good quality, and is a major (9mm/ .38 spcecial or above) caliber. Recoil is something you train for.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing from Glock. Unless you have strong wrists or experience, you will not be able to properly fire the pistol. "limp wristing" is the largest issue most woman run into with that manufacture. Walther, Berreta, and colts arent too bad. I would love a Beretta 92 bad... :( But California = state of cry babies towards weapons. Lisa you are in a awesome country....soo jealous of your laws :(

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Nothing from Glock. Unless you have strong wrists or experience, you will not be able to properly fire the pistol. "limp wristing" is the largest issue most woman run into with that manufacture. Walther, Berreta, and colts arent too bad. I would love a Beretta 92 bad... :( But California = state of cry babies towards weapons. Lisa you are in a awesome country....soo jealous of your laws :(

umm... you are jealous? I am sorry Beau, but are you mixing me up with someone else? I LIVE IN CANADA! Home of gun restriction and over the top laws! :erg:

I can't and probably will never be allowed a CCW. I can only own a weapon if I register it with the government who has now wasted in excess of 22 billion dollars setting up and maintaining a data base that IMHO basically does nothing and helps solve no crimes and if I wish to have a hand gun I can only take it directly from my home to a licensed firing range and back again.

Okay, I will stop ranting now... Beau my boy...you surely have me mixed up with someone else, LOL.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
umm... you are jealous? I am sorry Beau, but are you mixing me up with someone else? I LIVE IN CANADA! Home of gun restriction and over the top laws! :erg:

I can't and probably will never be allowed a CCW. I can only own a weapon if I register it with the government who has now wasted in excess of 22 billion dollars setting up and maintaining a data base that IMHO basically does nothing and helps solve no crimes and if I wish to have a hand gun I can only take it directly from my home to a licensed firing range and back again.

Okay, I will stop ranting now... Beau my boy...you surely have me mixed up with someone else, LOL.

Hmmm looks like Colorado is a lot nicer now :D Thanks for the reality check

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Nothing from Glock. Unless you have strong wrists or experience, you will not be able to properly fire the pistol. "limp wristing" is the largest issue most woman run into with that manufacture. Walther, Berreta, and colts arent too bad.
What makes you say that women tend to "limp wrist" a Glock specifically? Limp-wristing (not holding tightly enough for the action to cycle properly) can be an issue with any small, lightweight weapon. In fact, the Walther you mentioned, specifically the PPK which is probably the most common, is actually a "hair" lighter than the Glock.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
What makes you say that women tend to "limp wrist" a Glock specifically? Limp-wristing (not holding tightly enough for the action to cycle properly) can be an issue with any small, lightweight weapon. In fact, the Walther you mentioned, specifically the PPK which is probably the most common, is actually a "hair" lighter than the Glock.

Generally woman have issues with the poly guns like Glocks. Not to mention the double stack magazine makes for a fatter pistol. It's not like all woman I know can't fire them, just need to be aware of the issue of limp wristing. Last thing you would want is freakin out, shooting once or twice and having a case jam the gun.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Generally woman have issues with the poly guns like Glocks. Not to mention the double stack magazine makes for a fatter pistol. It's not like all woman I know can't fire them, just need to be aware of the issue of limp wristing. Last thing you would want is freakin out, shooting once or twice and having a case jam the gun.
Once again, you're making a huge generalization. I'm not saying that there are some women that might have issues with a Glock. I've known a few men who did not like them. However this type of generalization is about the same as the people that say that "women can't handle a real gun, lets give them a cute little mouse gun."

I have a couple of female friends that have shot my glocks (and other handguns) and have had zero issues with them. As I said, I'm not saying that there aren't women who have problems with them, but it's stupid to tell someone "don't get a Glock (or whatever), you won't be able to use it."

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Well you could always try the ".44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and it would blow your head clean off. " :lol2:

I've a friend whom with her husband bought at first a Ruger P-89 (9mm) and both found it too large for their hands. So they down sized to a Glock 7 (?) and found it just right. While they're pricey they're worth it. Among some of the best firearms in the world.

I've got a P-90, and I would never even think of carrying that thing concealed, I'd have all sorts of back problems from lugging that tank around. The plus is that it IS a tank, and you can run some serious +P ammo through it without a worry.

I like glocks, and would recommend them, even for a woman..... (sorry beau). :) If I were to carry, I'd use (and recommend) the compact glocks in the caliber of your preference, I don't really like the sub-compacts.

Lamont

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Once again, you're making a huge generalization. I'm not saying that there are some women that might have issues with a Glock. I've known a few men who did not like them. However this type of generalization is about the same as the people that say that "women can't handle a real gun, lets give them a cute little mouse gun."

I have a couple of female friends that have shot my glocks (and other handguns) and have had zero issues with them. As I said, I'm not saying that there aren't women who have problems with them, but it's stupid to tell someone "don't get a Glock (or whatever), you won't be able to use it."

Slippery Slope... No matter what I say I do, It's just gonna be back to the issue of limp wristing, woman and glocks. Sorry, but the ones I have shot with have almost always had issues with limp wristing. Yes some woman can fire them properly, some cant. Some men can, some can't. But more woman have issues with limp wristing than men in my opinion.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife carries a Glock 19 and has been for years. She's pretty small, doesn't have a strong grip, and has had zero problems with it. Once again, just a matter of training.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
in texas you cab buy a five shot revolver--the 'thunder'--it chambers both the .410 and the 45 long

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:

It's a Glock 26, not a Glock 7.

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Slippery Slope... No matter what I say I do, It's just gonna be back to the issue of limp wristing, woman and glocks. Sorry, but the ones I have shot with have almost always had issues with limp wristing. Yes some woman can fire them properly, some cant. Some men can, some can't. But more woman have issues with limp wristing than men in my opinion.

When I first qualified for my CCW, it was with a Ruger 89P. My first instructor didn't catch me limp-wristing with that. The instructor wasn't a good one anyway. When I decided to seek a better instructor (who was a police lieutenant) a few months later, he caught the problem immediately. He said the Ruger was way too big for my hands. He had me work with his service gun (Glock 19) and my limp-wristing problems disappeared along with his instruction of correct shooting stances. He also helped me to understand and improve my gun handling better. My groupings on the targets were excellent, thanks to him.

He had me try out several different brands and calibers of handguns while I was there training with him. I learned a lot about handguns and how they handle. That is why I decided on a Glock 26, which fits me very well.

I don't think it is women per se who have problems with limp-wristing just because of gender. I believe it has more to do with training and gun handling and whether the guns fit their hand size.

- Ceicei

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Subjective indeed! I wouldn't classify it as a gender thing, I've seen women handle firearms better then men. I would look at it from a skill level perspective, or physical limitations (recoil shy, hand size, etc).

Just remember, things that can make a gun easy to conceal and carry like light weight scandium, polymer, etc and small grips and barrel can also make it more difficult to control with defensive ammo. I shoot a 45ACP in competition, but I carry a 3" 9mm. I was considering a 1911 Officer's model (compact 45ACP) but I figured the lightweight of the aluminum (all steel gun is too heavy for ME) combined with the +P ammo (short barrel 45s need a specific velocity for reliable expansion - but thats another subject) would make the gun a handful in a SHTF situation. I can hit more accurately and faster and carry more rounds with a 9mm and with current technolgy in bullets, 9mm is good enough for me.

Latest Discussions