Baseball pitcher charged with hitting his wife

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is downright appalling, and I am very angry with the Phillies right now: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/baseball/14886824.htm

Also: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2497723

Myers got arrested for hitting his wife - and was still allowed to pitch on Saturday? I don't care that he's the Phillies' best pitcher. No one should get a free pass for this kind of behavior. NO ONE.

Domestic violence of any kind - especially against women - angers me a great deal. Even more so when it is done by high-profile individuals (especially athletes) - because they usually get away with it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree; personally, I think abusers should be turned loose, weaponless and alone, in an arena filled with abused persons with long, pointy weapons - but despite the testimony given by the witness, which seemed pretty conclusive (if contradictory about fist vs. open palm), he is innocent until proven guilty, and, as long as he's posted bail, cannot be punished prior to his hearing for his presumed offense.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Myers got arrested for hitting his wife - and was still allowed to pitch on Saturday? I don't care that he's the Phillies' best pitcher. No one should get a free pass for this kind of behavior.

Should someone arrested for an alleged crime be given the benefit of the doubt--the presumption of innocence? Your system seems very dangerous to me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Should someone arrested for an alleged crime be given the benefit of the doubt--the presumption of innocence? Your system seems very dangerous to me.

That is both a strength and weakness of the system - would the presumption of guilt be better than the presumption of innocence? The system does err on the side of the guilty in an attempt to protect the innocent, but it's not perfect... but what system is?

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I know that no system is perfect, but one of the things that DOES irk me about it is that the victims usually get treated worse than the "alleged" perpetrators. Especially in domestic violence situations. For starters, having several eyewitnesses at the scene *should have* warranted stronger action by both the police and Myers' employers (i.e., the Phillies' management). He's a professional athlete; how do you think the public is going to react to an alleged wife-beater continuing to play while waiting for his court date? Myers' statement to the reporters certainly didn't help. He already got booed in Boston - and I guarantee that the Philly fans aren't going to give him a warm welcome the next time he pitches at home. Heck, I'll boo him too if I'm also attending that game.

Many domestic violence situations still aren't handled that well. Personally, I think that stuff like this done by a "high-profile" individuals cheapens the victims even more. He gets to go on his merry way, while she is the one who has to suffer through all of the pain.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I know that no system is perfect, but one of the things that DOES irk me about it is that the victims usually get treated worse than the "alleged" perpetrators. Especially in domestic violence situations. For starters, having several eyewitnesses at the scene *should have* warranted stronger action by both the police and Myers' employers (i.e., the Phillies' management). He's a professional athlete; how do you think the public is going to react to an alleged wife-beater continuing to play while waiting for his court date? Myers' statement to the reporters certainly didn't help. He already got booed in Boston - and I guarantee that the Philly fans aren't going to give him a warm welcome the next time he pitches at home. Heck, I'll boo him too if I'm also attending that game.

Many domestic violence situations still aren't handled that well. Personally, I think that stuff like this done by a "high-profile" individuals cheapens the victims even more. He gets to go on his merry way, while she is the one who has to suffer through all of the pain.

I agree - especially since, if a restraining order is issued, then the accused abuser has to be given the suspected victim's addresses (home, work, etc.) so s/he knows where not to go - but the same information is not given to the suspected victim.

The system is flawed, and with well-known persons, even more flawed - but the only way to fix the system is to work within it.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is that if Myers was a garbage truck driver, he still would have been released and allowed to work and it is unlikely his work would have suspended him. Heck I am a Boston fan, I would have loved if he had been suspended and not pitched, but I will not deny him the right to work because of something he has not been convicted of no matter how many eye-witnesses there are. I think that our system of justice is flawed and especially in domestic violence matters can at times punish the accuser more than the attacker, but that said, the main tenant of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law so until that happens I have no problem with him pitching as long as when the time comes he shows up in court and in the mean time his wife is protected as much as she needs to be/wants to be.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is appalling.
But sadly, he probably could have killed her and they would still want him to pitch.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But seriously folks.... generally speaking, pitchers have never been strong hitters so I don't see what the big deal is here.

Sorry, that one was too easy.

In all seriousness, I just don't understand how people can be violent to their spouse or their children. I will be watching to see how this case unfolds...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
In all seriousness, I just don't understand how people can be violent to their spouse or their children. I will be watching to see how this case unfolds...

What's amazing to ME is how easy it is for so many millions of people who care more about their pro sport of choice than the fact that one of their fave athletes assaulted someone.

This is one of the reasons I pretty much boycott pro sports.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
What was amazing to me is that either His mother or his wife's mom was there witnessing the attack, and when my friend intervened in the attack, she said "no, it's ok, he's a ball player". Are you kidding Me? You could watch your son beating his wife, or your daughter getting beaten and not care?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
What was amazing to me is that either His mother or his wife's mom was there witnessing the attack, and when my friend intervened in the attack, she said "no, it's ok, he's a ball player". Are you kidding Me? You could watch your son beating his wife, or your daughter getting beaten and not care?

Hell no.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:

Wait a sec...of their parents actually witnessed the attack - and did nothing?! That is just...sad. That kind of attitude coming from a parent may explain why Myers was initially so flippant. The Phillies' organization certainly did him no favors, and understandably raised the ire of their home city - and several women's rights groups in particular.

Update: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14916425.htm

Presumption of guilt aside, anyone with a relatively high profile ought to be more conscious of how he/she appears to the public. Not that many of them seem to care, but still...

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
From what my friend said, there was a woman there who was either Mrs.Myers mom, or Mr. Myers mom. He wasn't sure which one, but, that's what she said as he went to stop the attack. He did a local Philly radio show interview about the whole incident yesterday, from here in Boston.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
But seriously folks.... generally speaking, pitchers have never been strong hitters so I don't see what the big deal is here.

Sorry, that one was too easy.

I was going to go with. . . "At least a HBP gets her a free trip to first base."

As for the seriousness note, I agree with that. And, as for a parent as a witness and chalks it up to him just being a ball player. . . I don't even know how to begin to respond to or understand that sort of thinking.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is horrible what happened. Spousal abuse is just rotten no matter what. However, you think that's bad. RB Marshall Faulk was under the microscope for the same thing. Tory Holt was put on probation for DWI and man slaughter. The two I have listed are St. Louis Rams football players.

Sorry football players are stronger than baseball players, still it is wrong no matter what.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
From SI
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Brett Myers will take a leave of absence from the team through the All-Star break to focus on personal matters following his arrest on assault charges against his wife.
Myers was arrested Friday in Boston and charged with hitting his wife in the face on a street not far from Fenway Park. He was freed after his wife posted $200 bail and faces a court date of Aug. 4.
"First, while I dispute that the facts are as alleged, I recognize that my behavior was inappropriate and for that I apologize," Myers said in a statement Tuesday. "Second, I recognize that the incident created an embarrassing situation for many people, including my wife and family, my teammates, the Phillies organization, and fans, and I am very sorry for that."
The Phillies let Myers pitch the next day against the Red Sox and he threw five innings. The decision to let their ace pitch was heavily criticized in Philadelphia and a women's group that fights domestic violence called for a suspension.
Myers was arguing with his wife shortly after midnight on a street corner, Boston police said. Witnesses told police the 25-year-old pitcher hit her. One witness told investigators Myers also pulled her hair.
Police responded to a 911 call and said they found Myers' wife crying and with a swollen face. Officers found Myers nearby and arrested him.
Myers' public stance after the game also caused outrage, saying only he was sorry that the incident "had to go public."

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to see he is taking a leave of absence.

As to the Phillies allowing him to pitch, (* I agree domestic violence is horrible *) would they have stopped anyone from performing their job until it was known what had happened. I mean once he is in court and he is held over for trial then the Phillies can take action. Before that they are acting on just part of the story. (* Yes, there are so many bad stories about professional sports. *)

So, if the guy down the street gets arrested should he loose his job as well just because of the allegation or charge?

What if she hit him first? (* I know hitting women is bad. *)

What if only two people saw it but the person filing charges did nto see her hit him first? Should he loose his job?

A place of employment such as mine asks me to sign a piece of paper before I can drive a company car. I have to state I have not been arrested for these driving felonies nor been ticketed for certain actions such as reckless driving. In this case if I had a DUI, it would show I was not responsible in my vehicle. So I might not be responsible in the company vehicle. My job position might have to be changed to allow me to work but not require me to drive vehicles.

So, if a woman hits a man, should she loose her job as well? I know that stats and the reported is about 2%+ for female assualt on male victums. But should she loose her job as well? Should she be given the chance to prove herself innocent first in court before action by her employer?

What of the case, (* I know of more than three *) where to woman who is either the ex-wife or the ex-girlfriend or the turned down person, who then makes claims of assault against a person in court and or at their work place.

I will use myself as an example here: My Ex-wife in a PPO stated I choked her and also hit her and the list continues. (* PPO - Personal Protection Order *) She did not need proof to file. She just went down and filed and they error on the side of caution and I get my chance in court to try to prove her wrong. Yet when I tried to file because she did hit me and her boyfriend threatened to kill me, I had to wait for the police report to be filed before the court system would even think about it. And the only reason I was able to get one signed against her was that the police were tired of her coming to place I was residing and they could not stop her from breaking her own request of me to leave her alone. (* Believe me it was my desire as well *) So, the judge finally relented to have mutual PPO's against each other, which did help as she did not show up after she was finally served.

So, should I have lost my job? Mind you I was responsible financially per the judge to per her alimony until the divorce ended or upon negotiations. It ended when the divorce was final. I was responsible to pay for our house until it was sold where by she would get her share as per the agreement for the divorce.

Becuase of the PPO, should I have been put on unpaid suspention until I could prove my innocence? Or at the very least mutual combative?

NOTE: The judge with my lawyer present, asked me if I had ever hit her. I said no. But, how do I prove a negative? I told him to check her medical records for broken bones and visits to doctors. I told him I would pay for her to be checked out and the only bone that I knew of that was ever broken was her forearm (* yes a defensive break *), that occurred years before I meet her while in school whle playing field hockey. The school and the state investigated after the x-rays were taken to make sure when and where it happened. I then explained that if he wanted to get two or three bailiffs to try and stop me from leaving a room I would show them that I could hurt them, and that there would be evidence. So with one woman, would not there be much more evidence of such events?

So while I find domestic violence horrible, I have to ask to we react first and ahve people loose their jobs, or do we wait for the court system to decide and then have the employer follow up on their own policies?

I agree that the error on the side of caution such as the PPO was fine, but I still got to have a talk with a judge before any legal actions were taken. I also did not loose my job over it. (* My step brother almost did in his case with a turned down woman and another case of a friend where she told all her and his co-workers that he had raped her. He had to move jobs and location of where he worked. *)

I know there is a difference between charges and accusations, but where is the line drawn?

My apologies for I do not mean to upset anyone, but this is the Study for discussion and not horror stories, so I have presented some data and asked some questions.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kacey said:
I agree; personally, I think abusers should be turned loose, weaponless and alone, in an arena filled with abused persons with long, pointy weapons - but despite the testimony given by the witness, which seemed pretty conclusive (if contradictory about fist vs. open palm), he is innocent until proven guilty, and, as long as he's posted bail, cannot be punished prior to his hearing for his presumed offense.

Sounds something like the book Handmaid's Tale. :) Youch!!!!!!!

Latest Discussions